Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Wait is Worth It

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my model 3 today and agree with all the comments made by the OP. What an awesome car. I have 2 issues including a sunken frunk and some wind noise from the driver door above 65mph. Otherwise pretty awesome. Prewarmed got 305wh/mi at 27 degrees F. So pretty happy with that.

Just curious. Do you have a sunken frunck or a sunken hood? I have the latter and I was curious what you did about it. If it is a sunken hood, did you have it replaced? I have an early VIN and I believe that they solved this in latter cars by changing the curvature of the hood.

thanks,

Aaahhhh. I'm holding out for the AWD (I don't really need it since I live in CA) but I don't know if I could hold off any longer. I may just go ahead and put in an order for the standard motor!

Do it! It’s the best and what other car gets better with time due to the Tesla software uodates? Today I got the 2018.10.5 release and that’s the 3rd or 4th one since I got Deckard in January. It included 1- automatic braking maximum speed increased from 50 to 90 mph, 2- unlocking with phone - now must grab handle for it to unlock 3- rearranged touchscreen icons by switching the left vent icons with the music and cell phone icons on the right 4- Heated backseats controlled through the AC icon. AND Autopilot was improved. I was afraid of autopilot but with the improvement I feel much better about using it.

What other car manufacturer makes their cars better after you buy them ? It’s just crazy how awesome and futuristic this car truly is.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Just curious. Do you have a sunken frunck or a sunken hood? I have the latter and I was curious what you did about it. If it is a sunken hood, did you have it replaced? I have an early VIN and I believe that they solved this in latter cars by changing the curvature of the hood.

thanks,
The problem comes from the bumper cover. The hood or trunk is not misshapen. The bumper cover sags so the hood has to be lower. There is a fix from SIA posted in interior/exterior sub forum. It works but you have to do some minor disassembly work on your new car.

Aaahhhh. I'm holding out for the AWD (I don't really need it since I live in CA) but I don't know if I could hold off any longer. I may just go ahead and put in an order for the standard motor!
The single motor S is quieter than the dual, less to go wrong too.
I wouldn’t blame you for pulling the trigger early and getting the car now :)

I think charging costs about $25 per month for past two months. I have had my model 3 since January - have a low VIN number so have a few months of information. That’s a lot cheaper than gas since I had a Mini Cooper and spent approx $80-100 per month on gas. I also have solar so that helps as well. Unless you drive a lot I think you can survive with 110v. Just try not to use extension cords that can really reduce it at times. Hope that helps

Yes, that is helpful, thank you! I am excited to review some real-world numbers of my own soon. Rough calculations suggest I should be operating at about 1/6th the fuel costs of my ICE car when charging at home. That number may be a little bit high as I don't quite know how to adjust for losses during charging and I am not sure how much my driving habits will affect overall range at this point.

To be safe, could call it 1/5th and that probably accounts for a bit of occasional Supercharging.

I think charging costs about $25 per month for past two months. I have had my model 3 since January - have a low VIN number so have a few months of information. That’s a lot cheaper than gas since I had a Mini Cooper and spent approx $80-100 per month on gas. I also have solar so that helps as well. Unless you drive a lot I think you can survive with 110v. Just try not to use extension cords that can really reduce it at times. Hope that helps
It's all relative. Here in CA electricity rates are multiple times higher than Texas.

In the case of my volt the math is simple. gas is cheaper than electricity during peak hours. That's one of the reason we need gen 2.. so we can keep charging only limited to off peak hours.

The problem comes from the bumper cover. The hood or trunk is not misshapen. The bumper cover sags so the hood has to be lower. There is a fix from SIA posted in interior/exterior sub forum. It works but you have to do some minor disassembly work on your new car.

Thanks, we may have a failure to communicate or different problems. My hood matches up with the panels that surround the headlights and wheels at the front and back, but not in the middle. The hood is about 0.25" below these panels on both sides. The only way to get it to match throughout its length would be to bend the hood so that it had more curvature or to replace the hood. The service center did some adjustments and concluded that the 0.25" height difference was within spec so they refused to do anything.

I just got my Model 3 one week ago today. That was the first time I'd been inside one, let alone driven one. I'd test driven a P90D or P100D (whatever the fastest model was before they shaved another 0.1 or 0.2 seconds off it with software), and it was exhilarating/amazing/just short of terrifying. So I was very happily surprised that my LR RWD Model 3's acceleration puts almost the exact same involuntary ultra-wide grin on my face that the PxxxD did a few years ago. I'd been thinking I might want to flip my Model 3 for a D/P version when it came out (I still have one reservation), but I don't have any desire to do that anymore. As a fellow CA resident, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the standard motor.

Reactions: voltage