Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, after driving my wife nuts for the lat 3 weeks, I decided to register to commiserate with others who are there or have been there.

On October 25th I pulled the trigger on my Model S. S85, Brown, Tan Leather, Obeche (matte), 19" wheels, Tech, Fog Lights, Parking Sensors, Studio Sound. I live in a Tesla desert (NE TN), so I ordered via Chicago (where I did my test drive), car being delivered to Marietta and delivered on December 19th (scheduled, at least). BMW 550 GT already traded in, driving Honda Civic SI (backup car) for now.

The. Wait. Is. Agonizing.

I've poured over every delivery thread. Geeked out to delivery pics. Ordered accessories. Agonized over plug placement in the garages. Studied public charging options in Western NC and Eastern TN. Researched and started to plan for initial detailing / paint protection.

What now? What did y'all do in the 5 weeks or so until delivery?

-alywa

If you find charging stations in NE TN let me know. I am from there and my folks still live there and I hope to be able to drive my Tesla there (delivers next week!!) in the near future. The wait is truly agonizing!

pnorris

If you find charging stations in NE TN let me know. I am from there and my folks still live there and I hope to be able to drive my Tesla there (delivers next week!!) in the near future. The wait is truly agonizing!

pnorris

Depending on which city, I've found some. Kingsport (where we live) has free public chargers in the downtown parking garage (parking is free too!). Not useful for me as we live 5 minutes away, but for someone visiting it would be very good to know.

http://www.plugshare.com/ seems like a pretty good website to study if planning a trip to the area. Enjoy your delivery!

Your wife will probably take over the car, so you might as well start looking now for a second plug-in vehicle. Neither of you will want to drive a regular ICE anymore.

She loves her Pilot, but I have no doubts that a Model X will be hers within 2 years. She hung with the kids while I went shopping and took a test drive in Chicago, so she's never seen, much less driven the model S. I have a feeling she's not going to lover her Pilot so much after delivery.

Indeed. 10 years ago my wife insisted on a Honda Pilot, as she needed to drive carpool and didn't want a minivan. I really didn't want to do it, but finally did. The Pilot did have some good qualities, but we hated the width and how often it needed to be refueled. Once the carpool broke up (some kids transferred out of the school after the first year as I had feared; she was certain the carpool would be forever...) we sold it and got a Prius that she was much happier with.

Of course now she hates the Prius, and has no complaints about the width of the Model S...funny, that. You might as well put the X reservation in right away so you don't have to wait so long to get your Model S back. :smile:

I think 90% of my posts here occurred during my 6 week or so wait... it was sheer torture waiting. Thank goodness for TMC, it was fun chatting with the pack of other soon to be owners waiting for deliveries around the same time as mine. At the time I ordered I was also under an extreme amount of stress at work, so the anticipation of something as incredible as a Tesla Model S was what got me through it. Now it seems I need to order a second one...

Read all you can here, ask questions as there are a lot of members with varied expertise and experience, and check out all the pics!

Every day before delivery, while driving my Genesis coupe, I would envision what it would be like in the Tesla. I would listen to the noise from my engine and try to imagine the quiet cabin of my new car (I had never been inside a MS before I took delivery of my own).

And, I took a couple of mg of melatonin pretty much every night or I wouldn't have slept much at all!

I've got 4 weeks less a day and I'm feeling the pain too. Most of my prep work is done and like others have said, I too have a nice pile of accessories in the garage, plus a few more on their way and I've been spending way too much time on TMC.

What's going to be even harder than the wait is giving up the car for 2 or 3 days to get the XPEL wrap done, after having it for just a day… It'll be like dropping off a day-old baby at daycare!

But then it will be all grins...

I've got 4 weeks less a day and I'm feeling the pain too. Most of my prep work is done and like others have said, I too have a nice pile of accessories in the garage, plus a few more on their way and I've been spending way too much time on TMC.

What's going to be even harder than the wait is giving up the car for 2 or 3 days to get the XPEL wrap done, after having it for just a day… It'll be like dropping off a day-old baby at daycare!

But then it will be all grins...

My wrap / tint is happening on delivery day so I won't have a chance to miss the car. :) That is unless I decided to do the paint correction / opti coat pro. I'm still of two minds.

My wrap / tint is happening on delivery day so I won't have a chance to miss the car. :) That is unless I decided to do the paint correction / opti coat pro. I'm still of two minds.

I hadn't heard of OptiCoat before I had pretty much decided on XPEL, but I'm still thinking XPEL is the way to go for me. My thinking is I want the car to last 15 years to spread out the crazy cost. With way simpler mechanical components than an ICE car and an aluminum body that won't rust, it should last. I figure after 10 years the only major things to redo would be the battery and the paint (and maybe the leather). So I'll replace the battery in 8-10 years and rather than getting it repainted and having to look at lots of dings in the meantime, do the XPEL wrap to keep it nice, and then maybe get it re-wrapped in 10 years. About the same cost as a paint job and in 10 years I'm betting the technology will have improved and I might even pick a different colour wrap then and it'll be like a new car.

Even ignoring the extended lifetime, it will look great and be less stressful to own the whole time - no worrying about scratching it when washing it or brushing the snow off or bumping it with a rivet on your jeans...