Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thermal Energy Grid Storage - Multi-Junction Photovoltaics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And here is a Google spinoff doing essentially the same thing. Maybe they are onto something:

Malta Inc.
This is the first time I have seen storage of heat and cold using heat pumps. I have seen cold being stored in conjunction with large building or campus chillers. Typically that is done a night in office buildings when there is little demand and rates are cheap.

This is the first time I have seen storage of heat and cold using heat pumps. I have seen cold being stored in conjunction with large building or campus chillers. Typically that is done a night in office buildings when there is little demand and rates are cheap.

I checked the site, and didn't see where they plan on building the first pilot plant. I'll e-mail the contact and see if he can provide that information.

This kind of solution fills in a nice gap on the path to a 100% renewable future.
1) Tesla or other batteries for grid stability and short term (hours) backup power
2) The Malta system for medium term storage (days/weeks) to get you through the "week long cloudy" days spell
3) seasonal storage, where summer energy can be stored for use during the winter

The Malta system (or the MIT one mentioned, haven't checked into that yet) allows one to store much greater amounts of energy more cheaply than battery storage. So the overall cost to get from 30% renewable power to 100% renewable power in the summer would be less than if you had to rely on batteries to store that "weeks" worth of power.

Very much looking forward to the pilot plant construction and operation. I hope this is in the Southwest U.S. somewhere.

RT