Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things I will miss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny you said that. Back when CD players were mainstream and casette players were on their way out, I lamented that I preferred the casette player because I could use an adapter that could connect to various music playing devices, including ipods, phones, etc. If the car didn't have a 3.5mm AUX input, I was forced to use my CDs.

Grats on the 3!

Thanks, but I'm still waiting for my VIN.

So, when I'm out of cell range, I don't see a map at all?
I don't. Just sort of graph paper: light blue lines at maybe a one centimeter grid, oriented on the compass points. Then the route overlaid on that. It moves along with you, so GPS is still active. You can see it rotate with the curves and move forward and stuff. Then suddenly you pick up a cell signal and the map fills in.

Not really true

You periodically get OTA map updates.....so cell service doesn't matter.
5 1/2 years driving a model S - 4 of which had me driving through a spotty cell service area every week day. I'd lose streaming, and drop cell calls, but never once lost the nav screen. I only lost my Nav screen once.... when I lost my MCU1....but that's a completely different story.....
Well, you've had a different (and luckier!) experience. When we run out of cellular range, there seems to be only so much map data cached, then we see graph paper. I'll try to remember to take a picture sometime, but it'll have to wait for an appropriate road trip, since we don't get this locally.

Considering the poor visibility out the back window and towards the sides when the side mirrors are dimmed, I rather NOT have my auto-dimming mirrors at nighttime. And if there's some yahoo driving with their brights on behind or along side of me, an application of the right pedal soon solves that problem.

As to the lossless audio formats, I've ripped my MP3 music tracks at 320kbps 'cause at my age (63), numerous concerts at a young age means I can't hear much above 10Khz anyway...

Music quality is about much more than streaming rates. And to be considered lossless, the rate needs to be around 1,400 Kbps. 320 is just "doesn't suck as bad"
Do you play lossless in your Tesla?

regardless, as good Tesla’s Premium Interior audio system is, it’s not good enough to discern differences between 320kbps and lossless.

you would need either audiophile headphones or an audiophile speaker setup in a dedicated room.

the road noise alone would erase anything you could possibly hear in that difference

Reactions: Mattopotamus
Do you play lossless in your Tesla?
As much as I can - 98% of what I listen to is off of a flash drive. Sadly, much of what I RIPed was at a lower bit rate many years ago, so I am slowly redoing everything into FLAC and replacing some CDs that have been remastered. (27,000 songs is a lot of work)

regardless, as good Tesla’s Premium Interior audio system is, it’s not good enough to discern differences between 320kbps and lossless.
I agree. That's why I updated my system with Reus

you would need either audiophile headphones or an audiophile speaker setup in a dedicated room.

the road noise alone would erase anything you could possibly hear in that difference
This is not true. I had a friend challenge whether I could hear the difference (he didn't believe me so compared a couple of tracks of FLAC vs 256Kbps). While it was close, I could hear the difference - even while driving.

It's not for most people, but it was worth it to me.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
As much as I can - 98% of what I listen to is off of a flash drive. Sadly, much of what I RIPed was at a lower bit rate many years ago, so I am slowly redoing everything into FLAC and replacing some CDs that have been remastered. (27,000 songs is a lot of work)
That is dedication

I agree. That's why I updated my system with Reus
ah okay so you’re not running stock? Fair enough

This is not true. I had a friend challenge whether I could hear the difference (he didn't believe me so compared a couple of tracks of FLAC vs 256Kbps). While it was close, I could hear the difference - even while driving.
well that is impressive, no joke.

Considering the poor visibility out the back window and towards the sides when the side mirrors are dimmed, I rather NOT have my auto-dimming mirrors at nighttime. And if there's some yahoo driving with their brights on behind or along side of me, an application of the right pedal soon solves that problem.

As to the lossless audio formats, I've ripped my MP3 music tracks at 320kbps 'cause at my age (63), numerous concerts at a young age means I can't hear much above 10Khz anyway...
At 77 and 22years in the army, I'm right there with you. I used to be a silver ear, but now, even with my hearing aids, I'm satisfied if I can hear the piccolos in The Stars And Stripes Forever.