Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Think twice before selling your 21s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen in another thread about year end "discounts" that someone had the price of their inventory Model S reduced by $4500 because they didn't want the 21" wheels on that car. How would this be different than not charging $4500 for 21" replacements on a Model S trade-in? Either way, Tesla is not making $4500. Assuming things are done uniformly...

I've seen in another thread about year end "discounts" that someone had the price of their inventory Model S reduced by $4500 because they didn't want the 21" wheels on that car. How would this be different than not charging $4500 for 21" replacements on a Model S trade-in? Either way, Tesla is not making $4500. Assuming things are done uniformly...

$4500 is the retail cost of the option on a new car.

When you trade a car in, the options you paid retail for are discounted significantly, as is the car itself. It is not correct to just lop off the retail value of the option.

I agree with you! My point is that there is precedent for Tesla not charging $4500 on the sale car so they should be able to not charge $4500 on the trade in. This in regards to a year end discount they extended to someone.

There is no value in the 21s which is why I took delivery of the last car with 19s and replaced them with aftermarket 20s and Pilot Super Sports (stickier, better wearing and less expensive). You fork over 1/2 the $s and knock off almost 10 lbs per corner in unsprung weight. Most of the weight loss is in the rim which is an even better drop in rotational inertia :)

The 19s are sitting in the back of the hangar so the car gets sold with 3 year old new tires.

There is no value in the 21s which is why I took delivery of the last car with 19s and replaced them with aftermarket 20s and Pilot Super Sports (stickier, better wearing and less expensive). You fork over 1/2 the $s and knock off almost 10 lbs per corner in unsprung weight. Most of the weight loss is in the rim which is an even better drop in rotational inertia :)

The 19s are sitting in the back of the hangar so the car gets sold with 3 year old new tires.

Remind me what 20s you bought and tire sizes.

You guys are scaring me as I have 19s, threw Winter tires on them to use, and was planning on picking up the 21" turbines maybe this next Summer. Our roads here in Chicago are not great at all either, pretty horrible.

Question - anyone have the T-Sportline 21s? I was considering these in white, and was wandering since they are forged/lighter maybe tougher as well? But I'd hate to be replacing them!

Aftermarket Tesla Wheels: TS117 Forged Tesla Wheel

Seven,
Not a peep but they know me and know that anything that is related to my efforts is on me (I'll not be bringing the car to them for them to fix it under warranty). The factory even allowed me to replace my air with coil springs on my P+ under the same understanding.

That would be very unusual. There is no way I'd buy a car with 21" wheels with the horrible potholed ridden streets in NY and DC that I have to drive on regularly but I have been told several times by Tesla that they are not able to make any adjustments on cars available for purchase with 21" wheels so now we only look for cars for sale with 19" wheels. If they are now in fact making adjustments for cars with 21" wheels that is indeed welcome news as right now about half of the P85Ds available for purchase are out of consideration for us because of the 21" wheel issue.

I wish they had a design studio for CPO cars where you can spec out just what you want and they can swap out wheels and trim to match your preferences :)

Seven,
I also changed the upper suspension links to remove negative camber (along with lowering links) so the changes go a bit further than just the wheels/tires. It is all reversible for when the car is sold (maybe to MsElectric so I could get a P90DL???? my D came with 19s :) ) as I did not want to give any potential buyer cause for concern.

That would be very unusual. There is no way I'd buy a car with 21" wheels with the horrible potholed ridden streets in NY and DC that I have to drive on regularly but I have been told several times by Tesla that they are not able to make any adjustments on cars available for purchase with 21" wheels so now we only look for cars for sale with 19" wheels. If they are now in fact making adjustments for cars with 21" wheels that is indeed welcome news as right now about half of the P85Ds available for purchase are out of consideration for us because of the 21" wheel issue.

I wish they had a design studio for CPO cars where you can spec out just what you want and they can swap out wheels and trim to match your preferences :)

My owner advisor confirmed that they just started doing this some time in December, BUT I'm not sure of that was an end of year special they were doing! I'm almost afraid to ask ;).

Why not just get a car with 21" rims, buy a set of 19" rims (stock or Sportline TSTs) with the tires you want, and then sell the 21" rims for a net profit?

because you have to find someone willing to buy the 21s? (I'm mostly serious here.. if you know anyone in Western Canada that wants some 21s I'm selling!)

I'm always looking for one or two more grey 21"s. I need one because one of mine is warped (unrepairable) since I got it (used, from a 3rd party) and a second as a backup/spare.

I watch the "for sale" section on TMC and 21" rims are posted and sold frequently.

- - - Updated - - -

The 21" wheel option is $4500. TST with tires is about $3000. You could probably sell the 21s for $3000-3500. I don't see the net profit?

Fine, then no gain, no loss, but they why eliminate the majority of CPO P85Ds just because they don't have 19" rims. Seems shortsighted because it's a problem easily solved.

Fine, then no gain, no loss, but they why eliminate the majority of CPO P85Ds just because they don't have 19" rims. Seems shortsighted because it's a problem easily solved.

Because traditionally, Tesla makes you pay $4500 for the 21s on an inventory car (minus whatever the discount is on that car), but the 19s are a standard, no additional cost, item.