Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about a used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WARNING: TESLA'S WITH REAR FACING SEATS ARE STRUCTURALLY DIFFERENT THAN THOSE WITHOUT. THEY ARE DESIGNED TO BETTER PROTECT PASSENGERS. PUTTING THEM IN A CAR NOT DESIGNED FOR THEM WOULD ABSOLUTELY BE UNSAFE IN THE EVENT OF A REAR END COLLISION. THE REAR END IS DESIGNED TO CRUMPLE AND ABSORB ENERGY. THIS IS NOT SO MUCH THE CASE ON CARS DESIGNED WITH REAR JUMP SEATS FROM THE FACTOR.

TESLA ALWAYS SAID, THEY WILL NOT INSTALL REAR FACING SEATS ON A CAR NOT ORIGINALLY ORDERED WITH THEM FOR THIS REASON.

SO, PLEASE, FOR SAFETY OF YOUR KIDS, DON'T PUT THEM BACK THERE. I WOULDN'T DO IT REGARDLESS. THE THOUGHT OF GETTING REAR-ENDED BY A SEMI TRUCK MAKES THAT AN EASY DECISION, EVEN IN A CAR DESIGNED FOR THEM. IN A CAR DESIGNED WITHOUT THEM, ANY REAR-END COLLISION WOULD SEVERELY INJURE, AT A MINIMUM, ANY PERSONS LOCATED IN THE REAR HATCH AREA. IF YOU REALLY NEED THEM, AND AREN'T AS PARANOID AS I AM ABOUT PUTTING KIDS BACK THERE, THEN BE SURE WHATEVER CAR YOU BUY, HAD THEM ORIGINALLY INSTALLED FROM THE FACTORY. ABSOLUTELY, DO NOT BUY A SET FROM EBAY AND PUT THEM IN YOUR TRUNK.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH. YOU'LL LOVE IT.
The only structural difference is the additional bumper reinforcement which is known to be part of the job by everyone doing the retrofit...and Tesla used to do the retrofit themselves also. WE APPRECIATE YOUR CONCERN FOR OUR SAFETY THOUGH

OK. I've set up my search subscription on EV-CPO without the RFS. If We decide to get 'em, we'll do aftermarket (as well as research the safety concerns).
Anyone had experience with hitch installation (for a bike rack)?

if you install a hitch, you won’t be able to install the secondary crash bar. I researched this because I planned on installing an Eco hitch too.

Also the yelling person is full of incorrect information.

uhoh, the CPO police is here. you'll never catch me alive copper ;)

even if its not CPO, its definitely something more than a "used car" though. you can buy a 2015 with 4 year 50,000 warranty from today, which means its good till 2023. Lets see you do that with the 2015 you bought from autotrader.
It's not anything more than a used car when you purchase thru Tesla with a warranty which when you purchase a used vehicle from any dealership you have the option of purchasing a warranty. The term CPO has a completely different meaning and putting out false and misleading information only hurts the consumer.

It's not anything more than a used car when you purchase thru Tesla with a warranty which when you purchase a used vehicle from any dealership you have the option of purchasing a warranty. The term CPO has a completely different meaning and putting out false and misleading information only hurts the consumer.

We should really stop pretending that there’s some magic definition and government backed independent certification agency that decides what a “CPO” is. It varies widely from manufacturer to manufacturer but can be reasonably interpreted to mean a used car sold by a first party dealer with a first party warranty.

I currently drive an embarrassingly inefficient SUV and have been giving serious consideration toward making an electric our next vehicle.
As much as I’d love to get a Model X, we simply can’t afford one.
The current prices I’m seeing for used Model S make it a no-brainer from a financial perspective but I’m not sure about how it’ll work with our daily routine. We have three kids (4, 6 & 8).
The third row jumper seats look like a great solution but it’s hard to filter my used car search and come up with just the cars with that option. I basically have to click each listing and scroll through the pictures.
Does anyone have any insight on how to specify this option?
Can we buy a Model S and get the jumper seats installed?
Thanks!
You won't be happy using the rear facing seats on a regular basis. They're more a novelty than a practical 3rd row. There's no rear HVAC vents at all, so you are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's a pain to get in and out. I'd save my pennies and get a used X.

We should really stop pretending that there’s some magic definition and government backed independent certification agency that decides what a “CPO” is. It varies widely from manufacturer to manufacturer but can be reasonably interpreted to mean a used car sold by a first party dealer with a first party warranty.
Yes but the old tesla CPO program is not around anymore and tesla does nothing to the vehicles they sell used.

CPO is a type of used car. Most often late-model, they differ from other used cars by having been inspected, refurbished, and certified by a manufacturer or other certifying authority. They also typically include an extended warranty, special financing, and additional benefits

There is no concrete evidence that all teslas or even which ones are being effected by the so called batterygate.

There is absolutely concrete evidence of cars being voltage (=range) capped.
The voltage cap is limited to a number of car (no one knows how many). All older cars have significantly reduced charge rate at Superchargers.

I'm voicing my personal opinion based on my experience and knowledge and Tesla's actions.I personally would not buy an older Model S/X knowing what I know. That's all.

• Disagree
Reactions: PWlakewood
There is no concrete evidence that all teslas or even which ones are being effected by the so called batterygate.

There is absolutely concrete evidence of cars being voltage (=range) capped.
The voltage cap is limited to a number of car (no one knows how many). All older cars have significantly reduced charge rate at Superchargers.

I'm voicing my personal opinion based on my experience and knowledge and Tesla's actions.I personally would not buy an older Model S/X knowing what I know. That's all.

You opinion is appreciated.....

I have my opinions as well and I would say buy one if it fits your needs.

And notice in my original comment I said "all teslas" which would mean I acknowledged that there are indeed some who have been effected but dont make a blanket statement when you have absolutely no idea how many or which ones have been effected.

Reactions: SO16
Man I thought I had clocked up the miles at 117kmiles, currently at 223 miles range at 100%.

How is yours holding up after 260k miles?

The car is holding up pretty good. Most of the car is pretty good quality materials that are still in good shape. I have done a few repairs which were all minor. Tesla isn't good at offering reasonable prices on small repairs, so I did most of it myself. The failing chip in the MUC is a design flaw that Tesla is not taking care of and will eventually cost all older cars several thousands to repair. The battery issue is my biggest problem with Tesla. They discovered an issue with the battery, kept quiet and crippled it via software as a 'fix'. That's not OK. I don't want to make this thread about this issue. The other discussion I linked above covers it. But I think it is important to be aware of when buying a used Tesla.

Battery gate aside, consider that everyone’s needs and requirements are different. Our family wanted to go electric and needed 7 seats. A 2014 S60 is perfect. While we would prefer more range and faster charging, it works for us and was by far the cheapest electric 7-seat option! If one used to have 330km if range and suddenly had 275km, it may be frustrating but to a new owner that 275km could be amazing (it is for us)!

Reactions: David99