Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about becoming a two-Tesla family but have some Q's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My husband and I each have our own account for our own car (MS and Model 3) but gave permission to Tesla to share our online app with each other. Our accounts online are still kept separately so our documents etc stay with the account and car. I recently referred a friend and got my 1K miles posted to my account. It only appears in my personal loot box so I’m assuming since I earned it and we have separate accounts I’m the only one that can use the miles even if my husband drives my car and supercharges it. Never tried to see what happens though. I pretty much only charge at home so it hasn’t been something that has come up. Next time we’re out I’ll have him drive and see what happens. Tied to car or to owner’s account? Maybe someone else is in our situation with two accounts and shared access and can say?

I have a MY on order as a company car and have the order tied to a different email than my wife's M3. I'd like to have the convenience to switch between cars but still maintain a separate business account from our personal one. I am not sure if I should merge the accounts before I pick up the MY or keep them separate as you do. Is switching from car to car easy or do you need to log out and re log in for each vehicle?

I have a MY on order as a company car and have the order tied to a different email than my wife's M3. I'd like to have the convenience to switch between cars but still maintain a separate business account from our personal one. I am not sure if I should merge the accounts before I pick up the MY or keep them separate as you do. Is switching from car to car easy or do you need to log out and re log in for each vehicle?
You can keep them separate and add the second account as a Secondary Contact on Tesla's site. Account 1 can have shared access to Account 2...and if desired, you can also share Account 2 access with Account 1.

You can also contact Tesla and they can make the changes on the back-end but you can share vehicles yourself instantly and directly through Tesla's site.

Reactions: EinSV
We bought a M3 (SR+ White w/black interior) last June, took delivery before month’s end to get the $3750 tax credit. Wanted to drive it through a winter and see how it performed before we got a second. Ordered our second this past weekend: another M3 SR+ (Blue w/white interior). The first one took 6 days from order date to delivery when the estimated delivery time was 2 weeks. This time, the estimate was 4 to 6 weeks. Anxiously waiting...

Got distracted and hit post. We have separate accounts for the two cars. I’m glad to see that the cards can be easily shared between cars (a key can be associated to two cars) so I will only have to keep one card in my wallet. The earlier comment about Tesla sharing the app between two accounts is of interest to me, obviously. I guess I have 3 to 5 weeks left to suss out all the details. I wonder if it is better (or even possible) to have Tesla merge the the two accounts? Probably a mistake to try - that could go sideways in a hurry if that operation is significantly off the beaten path.

Got distracted and hit post. We have separate accounts for the two cars. I’m glad to see that the cards can be easily shared between cars (a key can be associated to two cars) so I will only have to keep one card in my wallet. The earlier comment about Tesla sharing the app between two accounts is of interest to me, obviously. I guess I have 3 to 5 weeks left to suss out all the details. I wonder if it is better (or even possible) to have Tesla merge the the two accounts? Probably a mistake to try - that could go sideways in a hurry if that operation is significantly off the beaten path.
In the past, it was more beneficial to have multiple accounts when the referral program was giving away physical prizes. Now that the referral program is just Supercharging miles, it's not as much of an incentive to have multiple accounts. With one merged account, both cars would have access to any referral Supercharger credits. If the accounts are separate but shared, only the car that earned the referral Supercharger credits would be able to use them. As for privacy, if both cars are on the same account, anyone logged in will always be able to see both accounts and make Upgrades purchases. They'd also be able to access the online Tesla account. If you have shared accounts, you can share the vehicles in one direction, if desired. Also, people accessing shared cars in the app can't purchase Upgrades but can see their location and control them via the app. Those with shared access can't access the main account via their login.

An example where shared cars is useful is if you sell the car and want to give the buyer immediate access. That way they could use the phone app with the car until the car ownership is officially transferred. They wouldn't be able to purchase Upgrades such as FSD or access your account and order another car.

Reactions: AmokTime
Beware if you have another Tesla with Auto open/close of garage door enabled. My Model 3 triggered to open our garage door as I approached, not knowing that my wife (driving another Tesla) was about 1 minute away from our house, auto triggered the garage door at 80 ft away....to close (since last action was open) the opened garage door. Luckily I was almost done in slowly parking inside our tight fit garage. Did not hit anything. Could cause $$$ damage to car and garage.

There were several post like this in this forum...including what I said above.

At work so skipped couple pages of posts...

Anyhow, I had read about this happening and so I moved the sensor up a few inches so that the lowest part of the car would always block it if partially in garage. This triggers the safety in the even another door event happens (since most openers are toggle type, not open/close).

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT and Fiddler

No we just swipe the car on the app to the other car. Very simple and quick. Only thing to remember if you go out to access your car with your phone and it doesn't recognize it is to make sure you are on your car's image. If not, swipe and it will let you in with your phone key.

A useful tidbit for multi Tesla owners, a keycard can be enabled on more than one car at a time. Means you only have to carry around one key card as a backup for both cars.

Good move OCjoe! We are a two car Tesla family as of last December, took delivery on my X two months after getting my wife a 3.

Couple of things, you can't use a key card with an X if you plan on getting the X which IMO you should consider as it's a real SUV with proper clearance and gives you lifetime free supercharging. Plus if you order a Y now get in a very long line, you could be literally be waiting years. Yes the X is more spendy but factor in long term savings and the fact you won't be going thru cars as frequently as you may have with ICEs. And nothing, absolutely nothing beats an X!

Definitely do two wall connectors slaved together. I installed both of mine and it was simple but I had the help of an electrician who only helped with pipe bending, (he knew nada about the WCs like most electricians), everything else is easy, well documented and plenty of YouTube help, albeit some very bad.

Don't listen to rip-off Electricians scaring you into believing you need to upgrade your panel, etc. I ran into this when getting quotes from electricians "specializing" in Teslas who figure that since you spent a lot of money on your Teslas you can afford to be fleeced by them.

You'll be doing scheduled nightly charging when nothing else is on and slaved WCs are designed to not overload your 100A circuit. You don't want to play musical car charging, someone will end up with an empty battery eventually.

Finally, you won't ever look at a gas station the same and range anxiety is a myth!

We are a 2 Tesla family for over a year now. Our M3 came in July 18. We then bought a used 2015S a few weeks later and upgraded that to a new 2019S 4 months ago. In heaven. We both travel about 200 miles a week. We have one SuperCharger and we charge both cars on Saturdays. If there is a lot of driving on one or both cars in a given week, we charge overnight mid week. Works like a charm. The S is a much heavier riding car, less noise and more comfort, more room, so it is our preference when taking longer rides or on trips. The only inconvenience is we have a single car driveway leading up to the charger, so if we don't plan in advance, we may have to move a car out of the way. Oh, and we have an order in for the Cybertruck! Almost all of our close friends are now owners of a Tesla or plan to get one as their next car. We will never own a fossil fuel car again.

Joined Nov 3, 2018 and first post 1 year and 3 months later. That's some serious lurking there.