Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about becoming a two-Tesla family but have some Q's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing special. Just program the key card as your normally would for each car. It will store each car’s information on the card without deleting the prior car’s information.
Sorry but don't understand?
We have two SR+ and two key cards came with each car. But, we never programmed them, they just worked from day one of delivery for each specific car they came with.
So, guess I try to google it.

PS: Hi OCR1 :)

Sorry but don't understand?
We have two SR+ and two key cards came with each car. But, we never programmed them, they just worked from day one of delivery for each specific car they came with.
So, guess I try to google it.

PS: Hi OCR1 :)

On the car’s screen, go to “Locks” and then “Add a key card”. It will ask you to place the card by the console and it will program the card into the system. You can do this for each car you have and it will store the information without deleting the prior information. So you only need to carry one card for all Tesla vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
On the car’s screen, go to “Locks” and then “Add a key card”. It will ask you to place the card by the console and it will program the card into the system. You can do this for each car you have and it will store the information without deleting the prior information. So you only need to carry one card for all Tesla vehicles.
Outstanding OCR1, you explained it much better than I could find on google.
Thanks so much,
John

Reactions: OCR1
Nothing special. Just program the key card as your normally would for each car. It will store each car’s information on the card without deleting the prior car’s information.
Sorry to be dense...

I did not program the key card for M3, the delivery team just gave it to me "ready to go". You're saying there's a way to program the car to accept additional key cards? Any details appreciated.

Tesla programs the key cards before you take delivery in an attempt to keep the delivery process to no more than 15 minutes. Unfortunately it leaves most people unaware of how to program their key cards if they are ever lost or damaged. But most people who own two Teslas never realize that the cards are not limited to storing data on one vehicle. We had two cards with labels on them for the first six months of ownership before we realized they could both be programmed to open both cars.

We have 2 Model 3’s. Her SR+, My P3-.

1. Your app shows each car. You just swipe. The pain is sometimes when you switch from her car to yours, it takes a long time for your car to wake up. Someone posted a solution that works 100% of the time for me. With IOS after you switch cars on the app swipe down like you want to open your iPhone notifications. For what ever reason this always works.

2. You can share the miles. They show up on both of our apps and when we use them on one car the other shows the correct number.

3. I have one Nema 14/50 plug in the middle of our 4 car garage. We leave her charging cable plugged in all the time (use my car for road trips), and just switch. Never had an issue.

4. My kids don’t want to ride in her car anymore. They call it trash, and mine super Tesla. We still have 2 ICE vehicles but never drive them.

Loving my M3 and considering pre-ordering a Y or just getting another M3 now.

Curious about implications for usability. Probably these are non-issues but appreciate insights from anybody with experience.

1. I'm assuming one phone can act as a "phone key" for more than one car. Assuming this is true, how do you tell the mobile which car you want to monitor and/or adjust settings on? do you switch between them somehow? I don't see any obvious way to do this but I only have one car mapped to my phone... maybe after the 2nd car is added it's obvious?

2. Can I use supercharger miles from my "loot box" on either car are they locked to the car whose referral code earned them?

3. I have a wall charger. Is there a way to add a second connector and charge both cars simultaneously? Or some other solution more elegant that plugging into car #2 after car #1 reaches desired SoC?

4. Any other benefits or gotchas I should know about becoming a two-Tesla household?

One charging option to consider especially if one of the cars is driven less than the other is to have one of the cars charge off 120V.

Depending on your use case that could be plenty, especially with a higher power option used for the other car available if needed. We get about 5 mph off 120V which is plenty (charging is a little less efficient though).

One charging option to consider especially if one of the cars is driven less than the other is to have one of the cars charge off 120V.

Depending on your use case that could be plenty, especially with a higher power option used for the other car available if needed. We get about 5 mph off 120V which is plenty (charging is a little less efficient though).

Exactly what we have been doing. Wife works 60+ miles away - for me 4 miles. One day a week she overnights away - then I plug into the UMC otherwise 110v is enough for me. (Except if leaving for a road trip).

Gave up last ICE 2 years ago. Thanx Tesla!!

Surely the car stores a list of usable keys. The key does not store the car info. Even if this were technically possible, you wouldn't have any ability to disable a stolen key from within the car, if the logic to accept the key is controlled by the key itself.

A single card can unlock any number of Teslas, as long as you attach the card one at a time to each car. The cars don't even have to be on the same Tesla account.

On the phone app, you swipe left and right to go between cars attached to a single Tesla account. I don't know if the phone app can be used with multiple Tesla accounts.

• Informative
Reactions: jfinephilly
We have a LR and a MR. My key card works on both cars, same with hers.

As far as charging is concerned, we only have 30 amp outlet and the other is 15 amp. Whatever car needs the most charge gets the 30 amp. Typically it is my car and its never been an issue. There is a splitter I thought about buying on Amazon but its low priority.

Probably the point of contention is which car to take on road trips. We tend to take mine (LR) over hers because of the range.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Nice to see other families doing this --

We have a Model 3 AWD LR -- and are in line to receive a Model 3 Performance later this quarter .. plan to use 1 charger at home for both cars .. should be ok since my commute is 15 miles each way .. i charge my car about once a week.

the big problem for us is that we only have room for 1 car in the driveway, so one of the model 3's is going to be parked on the street. :-(

1. The app allows you to swipe between cars. There's even a search function if you have a lot of cars and don't want to swipe between them all. If you have multiple accounts, you can easily share the car with other accounts so they all have app access.
2. Yes, the free Supercharger miles are shared by all cars on one account, assuming the other cars don't already have free supercharging. If you are using multiple accounts with different referral code then they are not shared.
3. If you have a gen 2 wall connector then you probably want to get another gen 2 wall connector as load balancing isn't currently supported with gen 3 wall connectors. We have three load balanced wall connectors but you can have up to four connected. I believe gen 3 will eventually support up to 16 wall connectors. Gen 1 wall connectors can't be load balanced.
4. Hopefully you'll never need to but gas again!

We are a 2 Tesla family for over a year now. Our M3 came in July 18. We then bought a used 2015S a few weeks later and upgraded that to a new 2019S 4 months ago. In heaven. We both travel about 200 miles a week. We have one SuperCharger and we charge both cars on Saturdays. If there is a lot of driving on one or both cars in a given week, we charge overnight mid week. Works like a charm. The S is a much heavier riding car, less noise and more comfort, more room, so it is our preference when taking longer rides or on trips. The only inconvenience is we have a single car driveway leading up to the charger, so if we don't plan in advance, we may have to move a car out of the way. Oh, and we have an order in for the Cybertruck! Almost all of our close friends are now owners of a Tesla or plan to get one as their next car. We will never own a fossil fuel car again.

I planned ahead and just dropped 2 outlets (each on it's own circuit) ahead of time. Was easy since I they are off the sub panel that feeds the solar system (or is that vice versa?). Since I work from home, I only charge like once a week, and now that PG&E shifted off-peak hours, I can plug in after my wife leaves for work.

However, in the event that we need to charge at the same time, I just leave my portable plugged into one outlet and back the car in so I can hook up to that. Easy to just remove the cord from the adapter so you're not wearing out that 14-50 a lot. Note from pictures, that it is easy to extend an outlet along the wall to move the charger to the front of the garage. This makes it capable of reaching both cars. I had planned to leave it at the front (installed there for the Leaf), but my wife was not having any of this "back your car in every day" stuff.

Also note, I highly recommend you let her park closer to the charger than you. ;-)

Ps. Apologies for the wrinkly decal application, I suck at wall paper! Planning to CNC a supercharger "half shell" that will look real when it's installed.

IMG_7256.JPG
IMG_7463.JPG
IMG_7464.JPG

We are a 2 Tesla family for over a year now. Our M3 came in July 18. We then bought a used 2015S a few weeks later and upgraded that to a new 2019S 4 months ago. In heaven. We both travel about 200 miles a week. We have one SuperCharger and we charge both cars on Saturdays. If there is a lot of driving on one or both cars in a given week, we charge overnight mid week. Works like a charm. The S is a much heavier riding car, less noise and more comfort, more room, so it is our preference when taking longer rides or on trips. The only inconvenience is we have a single car driveway leading up to the charger, so if we don't plan in advance, we may have to move a car out of the way. Oh, and we have an order in for the Cybertruck! Almost all of our close friends are now owners of a Tesla or plan to get one as their next car. We will never own a fossil fuel car again.
I assume you don't have a real Supercharger at your house, correct?

• Funny
Reactions: Fiddler and SigNC