Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about making the switch. All help is appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came from a F30 335i. My wife has a G01 X3 M340i. I do love the B58 engine and it does sound great. I have the 2021 Model 3 Performance. It is just a way better car to drive in almost every respect.

I thought I would not like having no dash. In fact I think the center display is better (although the V11 update has been a regression).

The BMW is a better made car and I think we can all agree on that. The interior is more premium. But I do like the Tesla interior far more than I would have expected. I've not had any rattles or creaks that seem to plague some owners thankfully.

As far as performance, I used to think my 335i was a quick car. I used to prefer manual transmissions but the ZF 8 speed BMW uses is probably the best automatic transmission ever made.

The Model 3 Performance is a different beast altogether. Throttle response is instant. You will never be able to drive a turbocharged car again after you drive the M3P. Most of the cars I have owned have been turbocharged and while the power is great, the delay is really bad. The throttle response is non-linear, and you never know how much power you are going to have at any given pedal angle. This is not the case with the M3P and I much, much prefer the consistent performance. As others have said, on the highway, the performance isn't amazing like it is under 100 km/h / 60 mph. I would say it is similar to my 335i when passing.

One pedal driving is amazing.

EV ownership is also great. I can't believe how much I enjoy never having to go get gas anymore. I like being able to precondition my car in the garage on a cold day without killing my family with exhaust fumes.

We've had a lot of issues with our G01 X3 and I think BMW styling has taken a nose dive. I was once a faithful customer, but this will be our last. I am not sure Tesla will always have my business, but at the moment, they make the best EVs on the road with the best charging infrastructure. I think if you test drove one you would order and never look back.

Our experiences are mirror images of each other. The only differences are:

1. I got my model 3 performance in 2018
2. my last (of many) BMWs was a 435, with the factory tune they later called "power and sound" kit.

Other than that, pretty much the same, including wifes X3 M40 (lol). We just bought that car off its lease in december, and after her giving me a number of hints about how she would love to not have to go to a gas station again, etc, I just placed an order a couple of days ago for a model Y to replace it.

Interesting thing on the Model Y, its actually bigger than the X3 (only slightly so, but it is slightly bigger), and has more cubic feet of cargo space both with the seats up and down. The head room is a little less, but I am just under 6 '3 and fit in the back seat of the model Y when we went to go test drive it, just fine.

I ordered a performance model Y, more for me than her, even though its going to be her car.

I was surprised at how much better the 2022 model Y was "put together" than my 2018 Model 3. It wasnt quite BMW standards, but a heck of a lot closer on than my model 3.

Our experiences are mirror images of each other. The only differences are:

1. I got my model 3 performance in 2018
2. my last (of many) BMWs was a 435, with the factory tune they later called "power and sound" kit.

Other than that, pretty much the same, including wifes X3 M40 (lol). We just bought that car off its lease in december, and after her giving me a number of hints about how she would love to not have to go to a gas station again, etc, I just placed an order a couple of days ago for a model Y to replace it.

Interesting thing on the Model Y, its actually bigger than the X3 (only slightly so, but it is slightly bigger), and has more cubic feet of cargo space both with the seats up and down. The head room is a little less, but I am just under 6 '3 and fit in the back seat of the model Y when we went to go test drive it, just fine.

I ordered a performance model Y, more for me than her, even though its going to be her car.

I was surprised at how much better the 2022 model Y was "put together" than my 2018 Model 3. It wasnt quite BMW standards, but a heck of a lot closer on than my model 3.
Nice! I am not sure we are ready to go full EV for both cars. Still very limited charging infrastructure around here but for 99% of my uses cases my M3P gets the job done. It's the other 1% that it's nice to have the X3 around still.

I had heard that the Model 3 is loud inside. I think the 2021 they have made some headway there with the double pane glass on the front windows and maybe some extra sound deadening because most of the time, such as on the highway, I find the interior to be quieter than my F30 was. The exception is on rough roads or where there's rocks on the road. There is definitely way less sound deadening in the wheel wells on the Model 3.

Nice! I am not sure we are ready to go full EV for both cars. Still very limited charging infrastructure around here but for 99% of my uses cases my M3P gets the job done. It's the other 1% that it's nice to have the X3 around still.

I had heard that the Model 3 is loud inside. I think the 2021 they have made some headway there with the double pane glass on the front windows and maybe some extra sound deadening because most of the time, such as on the highway, I find the interior to be quieter than my F30 was. The exception is on rough roads or where there's rocks on the road. There is definitely way less sound deadening in the wheel wells on the Model 3.

Yeah my car is pretty loud inside, actually, comparatively speaking (much more so than my 435 was, or my wifes X3.). The model Y we test drove, which was a 2022 and so new it was still calibrating its cameras, was light years better than my model 3 in that regard.

Note that, I enjoy driving my car anyway.. enough that I have FSD but almost never use it because I enjoy driving the car, and I take a back road home on my normal commute to work that takes 10 ish minutes longer, but goes through a windy road in the hills, rather than sit in traffic.

Nice. I’ll try to schedule a test drive this upcoming week. Are sport models available to test drive or only base ?
I test drioe a Model 3 Performance at the Alhambra, CA Service Center. The car is VERY, VERY fast. I've owned muscle cars and performance cars most of my adult life and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt it is by far the quickest car I've ever driven. It's more than just the acceleration and the speed. The regenerative braking took a few minutes to get used to but I was able to drive the car without using the brake pedal. The steering is also phenomenal and the handling is much better than I expected. I was very impressed with the overall quality of the car. I did not order and still contemplating what I want to get but I can say that if I do go full EV I don't see myself going back to ICE cars. I was that impressed.

Reactions: Braumin and tm1v2
I had some pretty fast cars before my M3P.
  • 2010 Evo X - Upgraded turbo & supporting mods. Made 400whp and 400wtq.
  • 2015 STI - Full bolt on E85 - 360whp 430wtq.
  • 2015 BMW 335i - Downpipe & tune. Never dyno'd but mods should have made it have mid 400 whp/wtq.
Now I have this and its so cheap and so fast from a stoplight its hilarious. I'm absolutely positive it would wax any of my previous cars 60 mph easy & its ready to go at all times, there's no launch control. Costs like $6 to "fill" it up where I live.

Like others mentioned all the materials in the BMW felt more premium. The seating position of the 340 is nicer, feels way sportier then my M3P.

Reactions: tm1v2
I am happy to announce that I was finally able to test drive the M3P. Man is it fast off the line! I was expecting it to be quick but not that quick. Unfortunately I was unable to take it on the hwy but from what I felt on the street it met all my performance expectations. Only minor dislikes; felt like I was sitting higher than usual, almost as if the seat was slightly raised even though it was at its lowest position ( I’m 6’3). Aesthetically I do wish it was a bit more aggressive. I think my M340 has the upper hand aesthetically. Other than that I’m placing an order soon I just need to decide on the color. Either black or white. Do any of you know if the M3 is going to remain the same for the next few years? I would hate to get it and it gets redesigned.

Attachments

• 1EAFDB43-3FE1-48A4-9A72-4A8FEE5CCDFE.jpeg
    1EAFDB43-3FE1-48A4-9A72-4A8FEE5CCDFE.jpeg
    527.2 KB · Views: 88
@rrfitness Nice! Glad you liked the car. I'll throw a few thoughts at the questions/points you brought up.

Sitting higher than expected: That's because you're sitting on the battery pack. ;)

Redesign: If you mean the external body, I think a major redesign is a long ways away for the Model 3. Look how long they've stayed with the basic Model S design. Tesla hasn't launched a full exterior redesign of any car yet, and so far there's no market incentive, because Tesla (and everyone else) is selling every car they can build. (That could change with 2 new factories coming online very soon though, going from 2 to 4 car assembly plants.)

Now if you're talking feature or performance updates...Tesla does those often, usually with no warning, maybe a few leaks or public government regulator documents if you're lucky. M3P performance has stayed the same since it launched in 2018, while the S has kept getting quicker, so personally I think the M3P is due for a performance upgrade soon. (I've no special knowledge, that's just a guess.) And there's always smaller changes being made, last year brought a lot of them, and now in early 2022 we're starting to see MCU3, Li-Ion low voltage battery, and maybe some camera changes. (Remember Tesla doesn't align features with model years, they just update the factory line whenever they're ready, so e.g. early 2022 model year cars don't have MCU3 or the Li-Ion 15V battery.)

Color: Black was the no-extra-cost color originally, then it became white a while ago, now white+MSM (gray). Result is there's more white Model 3's around than any other color, if that influences you one way or another (wanting to blend in more or less), followed by black.

Lack of special bodywork for M3P: I think this is twofold: Foremost Tesla is cheap and likes to minimize differences between trim levels to maximize production efficiency. Second, Tesla is very focused on minimizing drag in their designs for efficiency - a good thing for an EV of course. But it means the basic Model 3 shape is probably as efficient as it can get, and any aggressive body kit style changes would hurt its range.

Last edited:
Reactions: rrfitness
Thank you for the response. I can’t picture a car being quicker than what it already is lol. I’m hoping the body remains the same with no drastic changes in the near future. I’m hoping if any update does occur it follows the same foot steps as the model S (quicker).

Thank you for the response. I can’t picture a car being quicker than what it already is lol. I’m hoping the body remains the same with no drastic changes in the near future. I’m hoping if any update does occur it follows the same foot steps as the model S (quicker).
Tesla just did a "refresh" of the Model 3 for the 2021 model year (they don't really use model years like most companies though) so I think you are OK for a while. The interior got a makeover and they changed the center console to a much better design.

You probably feel like you are sitting up high partly due to how low the hood is and how low the dash is. Trust me when I say you will appreciate this a lot. The view out of a Model 3 is so much better than a M340i. You will come to appreciate it.

I made a similar move from an F30 335i to the M3P. I have very few regrets. Almost a year now and I got my first service warning on the Tesla - my washer fluid was low. That's it for service. Our X3 M40i is in the shop WAY too much. I thought I would miss the buttons, but I don't really (although with the new software update some things are harder to do than before and I hope that gets improved). My list of things I wish the Tesla had is very short:
1. Working auto wipers
2. Working auto high beams
3. Buttons in the rear for the rear heated seats. Kind of stupid that I have to control the seat temperature for people in the back

That's really it and it is pretty minor.

I though having no dash for the driver would be annoying but it's not. I think Tesla could put all of that to bed by adding a heads up display but they don't seem to be interested.

I love how the M3P drives. I find the suspension better than my F30 was. I really love the steering and the steering wheel. The seats in the Tesla are second to none. I imagine after you've test driven one you are probably hooked. Just make sure you have charging at home and you will love it.

My list of things I wish the Tesla had is very short:
1. Working auto wipers
2. Working auto high beams
3. Buttons in the rear for the rear heated seats. Kind of stupid that I have to control the seat temperature for people in the back

That's really it and it is pretty minor.
I'll mention the autowipers are working MUCH better for me since the December software updates. Have you noticed the same? I actually like them now. They don't always come on for a light mist or few drops but that's 100% fine with me, I don't mind pressing the stalk button for that. My problem with them before is they were way too active and too fast, and that seems to be fixed.

I though having no dash for the driver would be annoying but it's not. I think Tesla could put all of that to bed by adding a heads up display but they don't seem to be interested.
I'll second this. Lack of instrument cluster is not an issue at all. Got used to that real quick, and it lets Tesla fit that nice small sporty steering wheel without blocking any displays.

What is an issue is poor use of space, font sizes, and colors on the center display. The driving visualizations are a complete waste of space unless I'm using Autopilot. And some of the text and graphics are too small or low contrast. That is all solveable with software changes... (in theory, if Tesla ever cared to).

I love how the M3P drives. I find the suspension better than my F30 was. I really love the steering and the steering wheel. The seats in the Tesla are second to none. I imagine after you've test driven one you are probably hooked. Just make sure you have charging at home and you will love it.
Yes all of this! You might find me complaining about the stock suspension on these boards but honestly the car drives great and is super fun right out of the box, I'm just being picky and I don't mind modding my car. I especially love the quick steering ratio and small sporty steering wheel, it makes tearing up twisty roads a breeze, also makes countersteering really easy should you get a little too playful on some ramps or in the snow. ;)

Well I'm not sure I'd call the seats second-to-none...but they're not bad, they've been comfy for long drives and they at least have some amount of bolstering (more than my old Tesla). They're not the best front seats among cars I've owned but they get the job done. Seats are a very personal preference thing though.

Reactions: Braumin
I'll mention the autowipers are working MUCH better for me since the December software updates. Have you noticed the same? I actually like them now. They don't always come on for a light mist or few drops but that's 100% fine with me, I don't mind pressing the stalk button for that. My problem with them before is they were way too active and too fast, and that seems to be fixed.
Winter here so hard to know about the wipers in the rain. I tried them again last week and had to turn them off. They will just come on with nothing on the windshield at all and make some horrendous sounds. Will try again in the spring. I am glad to hear someone has seen an improvement at least!

Hello Tesla community, I currently own a 2020 M340i (tuned 480 whp, 490wtq). I’ve been looking into possibly getting a model 3 performance. Have any of you owned a performance car prior ? If so how was it making the switch?. Is battery range accurate ? Any real issues while owning one?
Owned 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera, 1996 Porsche 993, 1987 Mercedes 190E-2.3-16, Audi S5 V8. My first Tesla was a 2017 MS 75D- traded to a 2022 Model S Plaid, 2017 MX 100D, 2018 TM3 DM- sold, now picking up a 2022 Model 3 LR on 1/27/22. All the other ICE cars I had, can't come close to the performance and tech of my Teslas.
Yes I would get a Model 3 Performance. BTW..aside from tires and windshield wiper inserts, no maintenance. Never concerned about range anxiety, Drove to Florida, Toronto and Maine a few times..Superchargers are almost everywhere now. Don't forget to buy TSLA, my cars were paid for by the stock:) PM me if you have any questions about Tesla cars.

Attachments

• IMG_5245.jpeg
    IMG_5245.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: rrfitness and tm1v2
I had an 09 E90 335i 6MT (with MHD tune for ~360HP) and replaced it with a M3P. I haven't driven any of the newer 3 series but the steering of the M3P feels very similar to the E90. The suspension is definitely better than the E90. The M3P is a heavy car but it handles well and doesn't feel like the fillings will come out of your teeth when hitting potholes. I've hit so many potholes in the BMW that felt as though a bomb went off in the car. I haven't had that issue at all in this car. I've also not lost any tires due to potholes. I blew at least 26 tires on potholes in the E90 (thank god for tire insurance). I have lost 2 tires in the M3P due to nails though.

For me, I would say the range of the M3P is off by about 20-25%. I might drive 3 miles and it will say I lost around 4 miles of range. I have about 4.5K miles on the odometer but my battery range at 100% is about 304 miles. I don't know if it's because it's adjusting for my driving style or if the battery degraded but it was listed at 315 miles when I received the car. The car also loses about 4 miles a day in range while parked unused in this cold weather.

Besides that, I feel like I've left the mechanical/analog world for digital with the M3P. I enjoyed some of the mechanical aspects of my previous cars like manual transmissions but not having to deal with mechanical headaches is huge. I don't miss the traditional dashboard at all. I got used to the center screen relatively quickly. Also, having voice commands to operate things is amazing. I once asked to play a track from an obscure DJ who I'm friends with and the car found it and played it. Playing video games using an Xbox joystick while charging kills time quickly and is a great feature. All of this does make it feel like the equivalent of going from a candy bar Nokia phone to a modern iPhone.

The only regret I have selling my 335i for the M3P is that I could have sold it for twice what I did in the year I've had the M3P. I should have just kept it for fun.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
If you get a well assembled example, it’s an impressive EV.
Thats where it ends.
Sales doesn’t give a crap about you. And they know there’s reason for them to.
After sales doesn’t give a crap about you. They know the same thing.
Nothing you think after the sale matters to Tesla.
If they send an update that completely changes the layout and function of the touch screen you like (which they just did)….
F-you.
The service centers are pathetic and amateur. Understaffed, overwhelmed with questionable credentials, that are crowded. Abundantly likely your car will be damaged while being handled. Long waits for appointments, longer waits for service.
Dont think you’ll get service from an independent, nobody will touch a Tesla. Partially because it’s so unconventional and partially on principle.
If you‘re accustomed to the customer focus and excellence of Porsche or BMW, or even Chevrolet for that matter…..
Forget about it……Its welcome to the jungle, welcome to the hood, MOFO.
God help you if you get into a crash and need collision repair. Months.
Tesla can’t even get your new car registration properly sent to the DMV, so you can get a tag. Google that. Months and months with no accountability.
If you’re willing to sacrifice everything, go for it.
Not looking to pick a fight / but offering another perspective. Had BMW’s and Audis. Tesla’s service approach (in central Ohio anyway) does not feel in any way personal but it is efficient (which makes it feel impersonal). But once you’re at the service center if feels vastly better than any of the euro brands ever did. They know me and my car and while clearly they are busy - they care and try to make that known. We have two Teslas and had one before these. My wife has no way of evaluating any of this because her car has simply ever needed service. All of which is to say - your experience may vary.

Service. Picking up my 5th Tesla, never had a problem with service, you got to be friendly with them, it goes a long way.
They also have Ranger tech that come to you for service.
The few times I get to visit service, I give them money for lunch, get to know the techs and the manager. The next time you go for something, they know you and guaranteed to get great service. Try it sometime, might work for you.

The few times I get to visit service, I give them money for lunch, get to know the techs and the manager. The next time you go for something, they know you and guaranteed to get great service. Try it sometime, might work for you.
This is a good strategy in the traditional dealer world too. Always bought the BMW techs at my dealership some coffee and bagels. Usually more than paid for itself.

Perhaps in the COVID world that wouldn't work as well (not being individually packaged and all).

Reactions: Kalex