Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about selling 2017 90D, FSD... Price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm thinking about upgrading my S into either a new Raven S or Y Performance. I've done some research, but it's a little tough since I'm seeing pricing all over the board. I'm seeing 2016 90D's with 45,000 miles going in the 56-57k range, so I'm thinking low 50's on this one.

Car is in great condition.

- Car has 78,000 miles - 90% highway miles (I have a 50 mile one-way commute back and forth from work)
- FSD (in service right now getting FSD Computer Upgrade)
- FUSC will not transfer.
- Tires are Pirelli Cinturato's All-Season Performance about 60% through life.
- Have replaced all headlights (eyelids working 100%)
- MCU replaced a year and a half ago.
- No yellow borders, that was just fixed 2 months ago.
- Instrument Cluster replaced 2 months ago (had yellow border, and they just replaced it).
- Can include Weathertech's (unless I get a Raven S, that is)
- Tracked with TeslaFi since purchase (not sure if this can all transfer, but happy to share data with buyer)
- Always hand waxed with Collinite 845
- 100% Charge is 266 miles.

upload_2020-5-31_10-23-28.png

Full disclosure, had a minor fender-bender where the rear driver quarter-panel had to be replaced. Was <5 mph and sustained scratches. I have all photos and documentation of the incident, and it was repaired by Tesla Body Shop to their specs and covered by insurance. Would be happy to share this info with prospective buyers.

Would consider reasonable offers...

upload_2020-5-31_10-31-5.png

I guess the question is, what are the following worth (would have to be deducted from the price of the Tesla car to determine your car's value).

- 21,000 miles ($2100 - $4200 imo)
- free Supercharging ($500? $1000?)
- 2 year, 43k warranty (probably $2k to $2500)

Taking the mid points of those 3 puts the car worth around $6k less than the Tesla one, which would be around $46,700 - about what I think you'll get for it.

Just an FYI. I'm not in the market for an S. Just giving my thoughts on it.

Reactions: ahkahn
I guess the question is, what are the following worth (would have to be deducted from the price of the Tesla car to determine your car's value).

- 21,000 miles ($2100 - $4200 imo)
- free Supercharging ($500? $1000?)
- 2 year, 43k warranty (probably $2k to $2500)

Taking the mid points of those 3 puts the car worth around $6k less than the Tesla one, which would be around $46,700 - about what I think you'll get for it.

Just an FYI. I'm not in the market for an S. Just giving my thoughts on it.

I appreciate your insight!

So, would you think 50k?

Is your car out of warranty (besides the battery and drive unit) or does it have an extended warranty?

You can start at $50k and see what happens but if the Tesla car is a fair gauge of the current overall market I think $50k would be too high. Your car's 21k higher miles, non-transferable FUSC, and (depending on your answer above) less of a warranty would bring its value down more than just $2,700 IMO. However, I also think the Tesla car seems like a particularly good price as I've seen similar cars with asking prices thousands higher. It partially comes down to how quickly you want to sell. Like many things, the car market has been in a rough place the last couple of months but hopefully things will start to turn around soon.

Yeah, that one isn't far off of mine. In fact, only a few older than my VIN. I'm 189xxx.

So, would you think 50k?
Keep in mind even with the added warranty that car still hasn’t sold at $52k so if you figure that the Tesla warranty is valued at about $3k and then about the same additional $3k value for the Free Supercharging (Tesla is crediting $5k right now if you delete FSC on current pending new orders) then that puts it well below that 50 number. Unfortunately I’m in the same situation with a 20,000 mile S still under warranty that keeps FSD and data and I’m only asking what Tesla is giving for it on a trade. It would be much harder to privately sell a car with high miles and no warranty.

Last edited:
Keep in mind even with the added warranty that car still hasn’t sold at $52k so if you figure that the Tesla warranty is valued at about $3k and then about the same additional $3k value for the Free Supercharging (Tesla is crediting $5k right now if you delete FSC on current pending new orders) then that puts it well below that 50 number. Unfortunately I’m in the same situation with a 20,000 mile S still under warranty that keeps FSD and data and I’m only asking what Tesla is giving for it on a trade. It would be much harder to privately sell a car with high miles and no warranty.

Yeah, so I do not have the extended warranty. I'm not sure that we can compare the discount for the free Supercharging though, since that isn't something that is coming on the new vehicles or used ones, is it?

Yeah, so I do not have the extended warranty. I'm not sure that we can compare the discount for the free Supercharging though, since that isn't something that is coming on the new vehicles or used ones, is it?

New order cars no longer have FUSC but most existing inventory cars (new, demo or used) still do for now. Have you tried to get an appraisal from places like CarMax or Carvana? Or even Tesla? Obviously, those would be wholesale/trade numbers but may give a better sense of where you should be on a private sale under current market conditions. Maybe you'd be pleasantly surprised with at least one of the offers and could sell or trade without even having to deal with selling it privately.

Since you are looking to get another Tesla, don't forget that any Tesla trade could have a sales tax advantage (depending on your state) e.g., a $40k trade allowance may actually equal $42,500 or so when factoring in sales tax savings.

• Informative
The used Tesla shown above everyone was comparing to for $52,700 comes a warranty with Unlimited FSC. The other comparison option is a used one that would come with transferable Unlimited FSC like the one I’m Selling/trading, once a seller trades in Tesla will remove the transferable option so they can resell without legacy costs. Just for kicks today I submitted my every option 2,600 mile ‘19 Performance S for a trade evaluation and Tesla came back with a Ludicrous $64,900 so I’m thinking they are no longer an option for trades. I thought they were crazy last month with an offer of $75k. If the offer went up significantly from the 75k I might have bought another. Tesla has used Performance S’s listed for sale for $30k more than their trade offer.

Last edited:
The used Tesla shown above everyone was comparing to for $52,700 comes a warranty with Unlimited FSC. The other comparison option is a used one that would come with transferable Unlimited FSC like the one I’m Selling/trading, once a seller trades in Tesla will remove the transferable option so they can resell without legacy costs. Just for kicks today I submitted my every option 2,600 mile ‘19 Performance S for a trade evaluation and Tesla came back with a Ludicrous $64,900 so I’m thinking they are no longer an option for trades. I thought they were crazy last month with an offer of $75k. If the offer went up significantly from the 75k I might have bought another. Tesla has used Performance S’s listed for sale for $30k more than their trade offer.

Very interesting. Appreciate the feedback.