Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of the Tesla Model 3/Y but have some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm posting this in both the 3 and Y forums. So please respond to the one that you own or know more about.
I wasn't going to consider a Tesla as a choice until this whole EV tax thing that took place a few days ago and now the car I was thinking of getting is no longer an option. I was thinking of a Audi Q5e. Also on the back of my mind was the BMW 330e/i4 and Mercedes C series. Not all had tax breaks, but all would be something I could get.
So I was thinking between the Model 3 Performance or the Model Y.

1) I never liked not having a instrument cluster in front of me. Wouldn't be too bad if the car had a HUD. Now I noticed there are some aftermarket screens one could install on their own. And it looks ok to install. Would something like this void any warrenty?

2) About the Premium connectivity... Is it worth the $9.99 a month? I read the info on it. Just curious on people who actually use it.

3) Can I have the car connect to my Phone's hotspot and not use the Premium? I heard you can do the opposite, connect your mobile to the car's hotspot? Is the speed ok?

4) 3/Y- Which has better lighting at night? Do both come with fog lights? Are there upgrades to the lights? For the USA are they adaptive?

5) 3/Y- Interior lighting, what kind of lighting is there? footwell? Glovebox, etc? Do they change color? Or just std white?

6) About the Autopilot. I like the lane centering, traffic start/stop, cruise control. In order to get that much, do I need to upgrade ENHANCED autopilot? I never really used the auto parking in the cars I had them with. I hate driving by a stall and having the car autopark because if there is a car behind you, sometimes they are pain when they think you don't want that stall and follow you too close that now you can't reverse in.

7) About the cruise control, can you tell it to ignore the speed signs? One issue I had in a car was I would have it set for 60mph, a large turn would come up that said 45, the car would slow to 45mph and cars behind you would have to break and then it would slowly pickup to 60mph again. I didn't like that.

8) 3/Y- I thought I saw picture of one of them having active spoiler? Is that true? I don't seem to see that as an option.

9) 3/Y- are the cars really that wide? The length will fit into my garage space, but width seems big. My old car is 72in wide, while the 3 is 73in and the Y is 76in. And supposedly these two cars are smaller that my older vehicle.

10) 3/Y- Do either cars have warning lights in the mirrors to tell you there's a car in your blind spot?

11) 3/Y- How are the seats? I noticed there's no options for them. Are they easy to get in/out of?

12) 3/Y- How are the cars when you drive? Are they harsh with the 20's? I live in an area with a lot of potholes. :( How's the ground clearance? Do either cars have adaptive suspension?

13) 3/Y- I take it, it's power everything? Power adjustable tilt and in/out for steering wheel?

14) 3/Y- Does the car have memory for seating position/steering wheel, etc? Do they move in/out of your way when exiting/entering the vehicle?

15) 3/Y- I take it the cameras in either cars work the same? Can you view them whil;e driving? Example: I'm changing lanes, can I view the side of my car? I think Hyundai had a car like that. Can you pick and choose views while parking?

16) 3/Y- Are the audio systems the same on both cars? Or does one come with a better system? I keep reading there's a standard audio and premium, but when building either cars, I don't get options to pick? Is the only way to get my music is to put it on a usb stick and leave it in the car? How easy is it to navigate the menus to play music?

17) My wife and I use Apple and Android carplay in the car. I thought I read that tesla opened that up to the cars? But now that I'm interested, I can't find anything except stuff people added themselves.

18) I take it Waze don't work, huh? I know the Audi, I had to either choose that or the built-in map the car. Waze won. I kind a like the extra security features it offers.

19) That all glass roof. Doesn't it make the car hotter to park outside durning the day? No way to cover it either, huh?

20) Lastly, besides trunk space on the Y, is there anything else that makes one better than the other?

We dont allow cross posting like that here at TMC. I merged the one in the model Y subforum with this one, and left a temporary re direct there that points to this thread.

Also, I will take a stab at some of these, but some others I have no feedback on or am not really into the discussion on. I have both a 2018 model 3 performance and 2022 model Y performance, so am familiar with both.
=====================================

1. Depends on what you mean by "void warranty". I dont have any of those screens because I dont like them at all, personally (and I come from years of driving BMWs with a hud).

I wish the car did have a real HUD but those are not it for me. In any case, having something like that would only have the potential to impact warranty of items its connected to, and if I had one of those and needed service I would likely take it off before I went in for service so it was not a point of concern for whomever was looking at the car, or for me.

2. I think its worth it, yes. I pay yearly ($99 a year, which is less than the monthly price). Others feel different. I dont like messing around with hotspots.

3. Yes, you can have the car use your phones hotspot for some of the stuff premium connectivity provides. The car, in fact does NOT have a hotspot for you to connect to for connectivity so you got that part backwards.

4. No the lights are not adaptive on either vehicle. On the newest trims of model Y and 3 they have matrix lights and may them to be adaptive in the future but I personally buy for what things do now, not what they might do later, so the answer is "no they are not adaptive"

5. Standard white is what comes with the car. Not really sure on locations, I will leave that to others to count, etc

6. The features you want are part of Autopilot. (. Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability | Tesla Support Other Europe )

7. I have no feedback on this question as I dont know. There is an entire subforum dedicated to discussing autopilot and FSD here though ( AI, Autopilot, & Autonomous/FSD )

8. No active spoilers on 3 or Y. Thats model X (bigger and $$$$$$)

9. No feedback on that, I have never measured either of my cars width. They both fit in my garage (I park both in there).

10. No

11. Seats are fine IMO, the Y sits up higher so of course is easier to get out of.

12. No there is no adaptive suspension. There are several dozen (or multiples of dozens) of threads arguing about suspension, and for me its like asking "is daves hot chicken really spicy?" or "is ruth criss a good steak?". These things are silly to me to argue about online but people do, you can find multiple dozens of threads on that here but I am not going to comment on my own opinions because the only opinion that matters on that topic is the one purchasing the vehicle, and any other discussion on it is pointless to me.

13. Yes, power mirrors, steering wheel

14. Yes, power seats, yes, you can set it up so that it moves out of the way (or not), tesla calls that easy entry

15. The cameras work the same in each car. You can have the car turn on a side feed when you turn on a turn signal.

16. You dont pick audio, it comes with what it comes with. The Long Range versions of both cars (and the performance ) come with the premium audio. The Regular RWD model 3 comes with standard audio (you dont pick, it comes with what it comes with)

17. No, there is no apple carplay, nor android auto, and dont expect tesla to ever offer them OEM. That is unlikely to happen. Tesla has its own OS and does not want to surrender control to it, and is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY unlikely to ever do so. (so many "very's to emphasize dont expect it, ever, in my opinion anyway)

18. Not through the stock system, no. If you want to use a couple of hack work arounds people do that ( I am not going to go into that cause I am not interested in it, but there are threads here about hack workarounds for using stuff like that in the car)

19. Window tint, or window shades, people cover it ( i tinted both my and my wifes cars roof ). I dont think its any hotter inside than any other vehicle, the only difference is you can look at an app and see how hot it is in the car, and people could never do that before so are shocked about how hot cars actually get (some of them are anyway)

20. I mean, they are different cars. Its not a camry or an accord, its like comparing a BMW 3 series to a BMW x4. These are different cars, they drive totally different. I love driving my model 3, only "like" driving my wifes model Y. She feels the same in reverse (loves her Y, only likes my 3). I think her car is big and floaty, but comfortable for cruising, she thinks mine is hard to get in and out of, and "twitchy" and too fast.

Last edited:
Man, The dealership has one in stock of the Y model that I like. Only thing stopping me is I only really started to look at the Teslas a few days ago, where as I was looking at all the other brands for months.

How's the glare on the screen during the day?

The features I want is part of the standard autopilot (What's considered standard equipment)? or if I upgrade to the Enhanced autopilot?

I want a car that's not gonna make me feel every bump on the road. The 2022 A4 felt that way. My OLD Lexus GS350 was only a little less harsh. My Wife's Pacifica is what I consider floaty. It's OK.

jjrandorin- Is there a way to edit a post I made? Like if I wanted to add this to a previous post so I don't keep replying to my post. lol. I don't see a edit button.

The site owners have the edit time set very short, so no, there isnt, to keep people from making posts, getting reactions, then changing what they said.

As I mentioned, suspension is very personal. I hated the ride of ever lexus I have ever been in, felt like my grandma's old caddilac's to me. Others love it.

I dont have a problem with the glare on the screen.

You need to either take a test drive in one, or rent one on turo. Only you are going to be able to answer the suspension questions for yourself, and if you are expecting lexus anything about a tesla (ride, or service) you might as well stop looking right now, and move in another direction (lol).

I have 2 of these cars, and I also have Tesla solar, and tesla powerwalls. I dont work for tesla or anything, I am just a regular owner (and a volunteer here). This site isnt affiliated with Tesla in any way other than being an enthusiast site as well. I say all that to say I am a realist when it comes to this stuff. I like the products, I dont think they are perfect, and I dont expect that everyone else will like them (and thats ok).

I didnt buy them to save the environment or some sort of crusade like some in the past do, and I am certainly am not going to tell someone "oh just go buy it, you have all these questions but it will be fiiiiinnneeeee.... (lol). I like the suspension but enough people complain about it that its taken on a life of its own and become a self fulfilling thing.

Rent one on turo or something to see if you like it, you will get a lot of your answers by simply being in one I think.

Last edited:
I was thinking of a Audi Q5e. Also on the back of my mind was the BMW 330e/i4 and Mercedes C series.
Hybrids certainly have a place and a purpose, but they are still just clunky old-fashioned fossil cars. EV's are completely different than anything else in terms of performance, economy, and joy. But if you drive cross-country on a daily basis, really hate driving, and want to hate driving even more than you already do, a hybrid might be the way to go.

1) I never liked not having a instrument cluster in front of me.
It's no big deal. The speedometer is perfectly visible and if you enable the turn signal cameras, you'll be able to see when they're on too. There's not much else you need to know. The car takes care of everything else automatically.

Aftermarket products may void the warranty of any components that they cause to fail. They do not void the warranty of anything else.

Premium connectivity... Is it worth the $9.99 a month?
Yes. Absolutely.

3/Y- Which has better lighting at night? Do both come with fog lights? Are there upgrades to the lights? For the USA are they adaptive?
3/Y have the same lights and same everything else. They're basically the same car. Tesla is currently phasing "matrix" lights in and out so there's a bit of a crapshoot as to which cars have them but generally the 2021+ Performance models do. Both style headlights are exceptionally good but the matrix lights might become adaptive someday if laws allow. All cars have foglights except the 3SR. Nothing can be upgraded.

3/Y- Interior lighting, what kind of lighting is there? footwell? Glovebox, etc?

Basic and white. Aftermarket options are common for those who want brighter or jazzy-er.

About the Autopilot. I like the lane centering, traffic start/stop, cruise control. In order to get that much, do I need to upgrade
Included with all cars built in the last 4 years or more. It works really well and is very useful - vastly better than anything else on the market. The upgraded autopilot options are a rip off, possibly even fraud.

About the cruise control, can you tell it to ignore the speed signs?

Yes/no, it goes the speed you set, or the speed limit plus/minus any offset you've specified. Whichever is *greater*. But it will slow down automatically for various reasons (speed limits, emergency vehicles, demons, etc.). Choosing a high offset in the settings will prevent most awkward slowdowns but it's also easy to tap the pedal or spin the dial as needed.

3/Y- Do either cars have warning lights in the mirrors to tell you there's a car in your blind spot?

No, but they will beep just before impact.

3/Y- How are the seats? I noticed there's no options for them. Are they easy to get in/out of?

Excellent. And you can set them up to automatically adjust to a different position when the door is open. There are also countless memory options that you can use for variety. And of course it automatically selects whichever seat memory is associated with the "key" used for entry. Steering wheel too.
3/Y have the same interior and almost everything else, but the seats are mounted on pedestals on the Y for a much different seating position, and the rear bench is wider. Otherwise identical and literally interchangeable parts. Even the entire dashboard, steering wheel, and center console are the same part numbers between vehicles.

3/Y- How are the cars when you drive? Are they harsh with the 20's? I live in an area with a lot of potholes. :( How's the ground clearance? Do either cars have adaptive suspension?

Firm, low, and no.

3/Y- I take it the cameras in either cars work the same? Can you view them whil;e driving? Example: I'm changing lanes, can I view the side of my car?

Yes, yes, not really. The side cameras can be set to automatically popup with the turn signal but the image quality is terrible and you can't see anything at all. For parking, you only get the rear and side cameras, the rear is excellent and the sides are mostly good enough for daytime parking.

3/Y- Are the audio systems the same on both cars? Or does one come with a better system? I keep reading there's a standard audio and premium, but when building either cars, I don't get options to pick? Is the only way to get my music is to put it on a usb stick and leave it in the car? How easy is it to navigate the menus to play music?

The 3SR has no subwoofer. All others are basically the same. Tesla does not offer cassette players, XM radio, MP3, Aux inputs, or anything else that went obsolete in the 1980's. Technically, you could conceivably play MP3s from the USB stick in the glovebox but you won't. The interface is unbearably bad.

It's all streaming these days, and a great streaming service is included.

17) My wife and I use Apple and Android carplay in the car. I thought I read that tesla opened that up to the cars?

No. Likely never. Tesla's integrated approach is vastly better than Carplay in most ways. Not all, but most. And *vastly*.

I take it Waze don't work, huh?

Nope, but it does do dynamic rerouting based on cloud data.

That all glass roof. Doesn't it make the car hotter to park outside durning the day? No way to cover it either, huh?

No one knows. It automatically keeps the cabin temp below 100F unless you don't enable the feature. This makes it almost pleasant to jump into on a hot day. And if that isn't pleasant enough, just tap the button on your phone as you're headed to the car and it will be 70F when you arrive.

20) Lastly, besides trunk space on the Y, is there anything else that makes one better than the other?

Y has a HUGE back seat and HUGE flat cargo space, plus a much bigger frunk.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
So far, and this is based on what little I've read/watched so far...
The Y is probably what I want. Although I do like how the 3 looks. The matrix lighting is good to have, although in the USA, the feature isn't active yet. And knowing Musk, he'll probably charge a arm and a leg to enable them. The Vision park is a hit or miss. Sometimes it "sees" an object sometimes it don't. Interior lighting isn't all that bright for footwells, etc. The audio is good.
Neither the 3/Y has rear wipers right?

And knowing Musk, he'll probably charge a arm and a leg to enable them.
😂 It good that you know all about Musk.
And now, thanks to all those kind and informative responses above, you know all about the cars.
All I can add is that, after almost ten months, I am very happy with my MY LR.
It is not perfect but then I have never owned a perfect car or enjoyed perfect service in the far from perfect world of motoring which, despite everything, I love.

To avoid the head and heart ache of a wrong decision, why not hire one for a week or two.

Please keep us posted.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Thanks for the replies.
So far, and this is based on what little I've read/watched so far...
The Y is probably what I want. Although I do like how the 3 looks. The matrix lighting is good to have, although in the USA, the feature isn't active yet. And knowing Musk, he'll probably charge a arm and a leg to enable them. The Vision park is a hit or miss. Sometimes it "sees" an object sometimes it don't. Interior lighting isn't all that bright for footwells, etc. The audio is good.
Neither the 3/Y has rear wipers right?
If you want more a SUV than car, then yes a Y is what you want.

We are a Subaru hatch family. We had to make the tough decision on which to get. In the end we decided we needed less SUV and wanted more of a fun car, so we went with the M3P. There wasn't really anything wrong with the Y when we test drove it. It just felt/sat more like a SUV and was a higher cost.

Either is a great choice.

It looks like most of your questions have been answered. I'll just add that I was a huge apple car play user and would never consider buying another car that didn't support it. However, ordered my MYLR April 1st and took delivery on the 15th. I love it and all the features. Not having CarPlay hasn't really been an issue for me *yet*. The main thing that kept me in CarPlay was maps, podcasts, audible, messages. In the Tesla I can get all my text / iMessages, Tesla maps routing me to charging stations automagically is perfect, Podcasts I can get through my Spotify sub and there are rumors that they are working on an Audible integration (soon). Even if they don't I can bluetooth the books when I want to listen to them.

As for the roof being glass. I turned on the cabin overheat protection to keep the interior of the car under 100 degrees. Also if I'm worried about it I'll just turn the A/C on as I'm headed to the car. It cools down quick from 100 to 70's. While Driving my wife's Ford Explorer with the moon roof (what ever they call it) it feels like you bake in the sun with the shade open. We almost never open it because of that. In the MY I forget the roof is glass to be honest. It might change Mid July but so far with the sun shining down I couldn't tell a difference between a solid roof and the glass roof.

MYLR White interior.

I love my music. So how do you play music/playlist/etc ? I’m guessing Bluetooth, but that sounds horrible as it never plays in high quality over Bluetooth.
There’s supposedly 128GB storage to dump music to. Do I just somehow copy my music to it?

It looks like most of your questions have been answered. I'll just add that I was a huge apple car play user and would never consider buying another car that didn't support it. However, ordered my MYLR April 1st and took delivery on the 15th. I love it and all the features. Not having CarPlay hasn't really been an issue for me *yet*. The main thing that kept me in CarPlay was maps, podcasts, audible, messages. In the Tesla I can get all my text / iMessages, Tesla maps routing me to charging stations automagically is perfect, Podcasts I can get through my Spotify sub and there are rumors that they are working on an Audible integration (soon). Even if they don't I can

I love my music. So how do you play music/playlist/etc ? I’m guessing Bluetooth, but that sounds horrible as it never plays in high quality over Bluetooth.
There’s supposedly 128GB storage to dump music to. Do I just somehow copy my music to it?

The 128gb storage is simply an included, external USB drive (no different than one you would buy from costco or amazon except with a tesla logo on it I think). USB music is a pain. I had a bunch of songs on USB and gave that up pretty quickly. Im not a music audiophile though (I am a home theater audiophile for home setups). I just stream through spotify on the interface which is good enough for me.

Its passable. There are threads here about USB music, though, and I am not sure how people deal with playlists with that.

Yeah it comes with a standard 128GB Samsung bar plus which you can replace with whatever you want, but again, the USB interface is largely unusable. It does not read playlists and doesn't even have the basic ability to play "by artist". The best it can do is play a folder in alphabetic order.
Bluetooth streaming functionality is fine, but without Carplay it's not much fun to use either. Basically, just forget about that whole Napster era. You need to recreate your playlists on Spotify or something.

Oh wow. I didn't think it would be that bad. From what I've been reading the audio system is quit good. It's strange that's there's no easy way to play music that you have unless you use Spotify (which I don't use) I'll try and read what others have said about music playback.

How's the glare on the screen during the day?
Not a problem. But I've got a matte screen protector and an aftermarket swivel mount.
The features I want is part of the standard autopilot (What's considered standard equipment)? or if I upgrade to the Enhanced autopilot?
DO NOT buy Enhanced autopilot. Most of the features you pay for are currently disabled.
I want a car that's not gonna make me feel every bump on the road. The 2022 A4 felt that way. My OLD Lexus GS350 was only a little less harsh. My Wife's Pacifica is what I consider floaty. It's OK.
Definitely do a test drive before buying. Many people complain about the harsh ride. Tesla changed the suspension to be more comfortable but some people still complain. DO NOT get the performance tires/wheels: $2600 Pothole.

The sound system is very good. As for music sources there's Tidal, Apple Music, Spotify and a few others. Many say Tidal sounds better than the others. I doubt I would be able to hear the difference.

You have to subscribe to the content provider and also subscribe to Tesla Premium Connectivity that costs $100/year. The Spotify interface is poor compared to the app or the web site. I've lowered my expectations and am at peace with it now.

The usb interface is crude. I've found it workable by organizing things in folders and renaming files to be in alphabetically order. I feel like I've been thrown back to the 2000s. Some of the places I drive have no cell coverage so I need to use usb if I want any music there.

I've had my Model Y for almost two years and absolutely love it. IMO the current prices with the tax rebate are crazy good.

I'm posting this in both the 3 and Y forums. So please respond to the one that you own or know more about.
I wasn't going to consider a Tesla as a choice until this whole EV tax thing that took place a few days ago and now the car I was thinking of getting is no longer an option. I was thinking of a Audi Q5e. Also on the back of my mind was the BMW 330e/i4 and Mercedes C series. Not all had tax breaks, but all would be something I could get.
So I was thinking between the Model 3 Performance or the Model Y.

1) I never liked not having a instrument cluster in front of me. Wouldn't be too bad if the car had a HUD. Now I noticed there are some aftermarket screens one could install on their own. And it looks ok to install. Would something like this void any warrenty?

2) About the Premium connectivity... Is it worth the $9.99 a month? I read the info on it. Just curious on people who actually use it.

3) Can I have the car connect to my Phone's hotspot and not use the Premium? I heard you can do the opposite, connect your mobile to the car's hotspot? Is the speed ok?

4) 3/Y- Which has better lighting at night? Do both come with fog lights? Are there upgrades to the lights? For the USA are they adaptive?

5) 3/Y- Interior lighting, what kind of lighting is there? footwell? Glovebox, etc? Do they change color? Or just std white?

6) About the Autopilot. I like the lane centering, traffic start/stop, cruise control. In order to get that much, do I need to upgrade ENHANCED autopilot? I never really used the auto parking in the cars I had them with. I hate driving by a stall and having the car autopark because if there is a car behind you, sometimes they are pain when they think you don't want that stall and follow you too close that now you can't reverse in.

7) About the cruise control, can you tell it to ignore the speed signs? One issue I had in a car was I would have it set for 60mph, a large turn would come up that said 45, the car would slow to 45mph and cars behind you would have to break and then it would slowly pickup to 60mph again. I didn't like that.

8) 3/Y- I thought I saw picture of one of them having active spoiler? Is that true? I don't seem to see that as an option.

9) 3/Y- are the cars really that wide? The length will fit into my garage space, but width seems big. My old car is 72in wide, while the 3 is 73in and the Y is 76in. And supposedly these two cars are smaller that my older vehicle.

10) 3/Y- Do either cars have warning lights in the mirrors to tell you there's a car in your blind spot?

11) 3/Y- How are the seats? I noticed there's no options for them. Are they easy to get in/out of?

12) 3/Y- How are the cars when you drive? Are they harsh with the 20's? I live in an area with a lot of potholes. :( How's the ground clearance? Do either cars have adaptive suspension?

13) 3/Y- I take it, it's power everything? Power adjustable tilt and in/out for steering wheel?

14) 3/Y- Does the car have memory for seating position/steering wheel, etc? Do they move in/out of your way when exiting/entering the vehicle?

15) 3/Y- I take it the cameras in either cars work the same? Can you view them whil;e driving? Example: I'm changing lanes, can I view the side of my car? I think Hyundai had a car like that. Can you pick and choose views while parking?

16) 3/Y- Are the audio systems the same on both cars? Or does one come with a better system? I keep reading there's a standard audio and premium, but when building either cars, I don't get options to pick? Is the only way to get my music is to put it on a usb stick and leave it in the car? How easy is it to navigate the menus to play music?

17) My wife and I use Apple and Android carplay in the car. I thought I read that tesla opened that up to the cars? But now that I'm interested, I can't find anything except stuff people added themselves.

18) I take it Waze don't work, huh? I know the Audi, I had to either choose that or the built-in map the car. Waze won. I kind a like the extra security features it offers.

19) That all glass roof. Doesn't it make the car hotter to park outside durning the day? No way to cover it either, huh?

my advice is go test drive one. you can spend time with it and check it all out. that will answer most your questions. hell you can even bring it home too if you live close enough. they usually let you take it for like 30-45 minutes

some of your other questions like the 9.99 a month you will make that decision when you get the car and see what things are like with vs. without. for me the only thing i like is browsing the net and the traffic flow colors. it makes it worth the $10 a month cause i save time and money knowing which routes are congested or not. also it is flexible, you can cancel it and subscribe at your leisure right via the app. it isn't like cancelling other subscriptions where you have to talk to someone in India for 3 hours to get it cancelled. this is one of the nice things about tesla, they make things easy and flexible

if you like music just connect your phone to the car and use youtube or you can even do sirius if you have all access.

Reactions: tm1v2
Bought a M3LR early Feb out of local standing inventory. Cannot live without Waze…so bough the CarlinKit before I even took delivery. It works thru the Tesla internet browser. Only niggle, it doesnt always start up automatically. Often have to turn car’s wifi on to get it going. But it’s still worth it to me for $100. Just plugs into USB.

STR3T- Oh interesting. So car wifi joins the CarlinKit. So does anything else work/not work while that is connected? Like while Waze is running, does it disable navigation in the car, or Does it hinder any of the car's other functions? Like if my phone gets a call, will the car still answer it?

Bought a M3LR early Feb out of local standing inventory. Cannot live without Waze…so bough the CarlinKit before I even took delivery. It works thru the Tesla internet browser. Only niggle, it doesnt always start up automatically. Often have to turn car’s wifi on to get it going. But it’s still worth it to me for $100. Just plugs into USB.