Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Party Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S on order, and am still debating the HPWC. I don't need the rapid charging. I like the convenience of having something in the wall, ready to go and keeping the UMC in my trunk. Has anyone looked into third party wall chargers as a solution. This 40 Amp one looks pretty good: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Sect...nisite=10251&gclid=CJyojuji2rwCFQHNOgodIhgAjg but is just as expensive as the HPWC. Others I have seen are in the $400 - $500 range, but aren't 40 amps. Has anyone found anything that is less expensive than the HPWC? How about a portable one for the trunk, so I can leave the UMC in the garage?

There's also the fact an aftermarket charging station is J1772, so you'll need an adapter. The car comes with one, but you generally want to leave that in the glove box so you can use public charging stations at any time. So if you want a dedicated one for home, that's another $99. Then you also have to open the charging door. Without a Tesla charger, you have to do this from the phone app or via the center touch screen. It's so much faster and more convenient to just press the button on top of the Tesla handle before inserting it.

Buying a second UMC is really the best and cheapest solution. Go to a service center and a UMC w/ 14-50 adapter will be around $500.

Unless you travel far from home frequently you really don't need to keep the UMC in your trunk. Remeber the only time you would use it is if you have the need to charge from from an outlet not in your garage-- not J1772 charging stations and not superchargers. I keep it plugged in and hanging on the wall in my garage and have unplugged it to take with me maybe 3 or 4 times in 6 months. If that's similar to how you would use it, you may not need another one.

You can set the maximum amperage in the HPWC. I am considering purchasing one, and installing it permanently, but limiting it to 10kW (I only have the single charger anyway).

It seems to be the least expensive, and most convenient (as for opening the charge port door).

I never bring my UMC with me when driving around. No real need. I do bring it on road trips (and planned charging), as well as when long term parking.

You can set the maximum amperage in the HPWC. I am considering purchasing one, and installing it permanently, but limiting it to 10kW (I only have the single charger anyway).

It seems to be the least expensive, and most convenient (as for opening the charge port door).

I never bring my UMC with me when driving around. No real need. I do bring it on road trips (and planned charging), as well as when long term parking.

I agree completely. It's a little more money than a second UMC, but the ruggedness, connivence, and just good looks of the HPWC makes it a great choice.

Here is an idea for you single charger folks on installing an HPWC:

If you set the HPWC to the actual circuit breaker rating and only have a single charger, the car will do the correct thing and draw the 40A or pilot limit (80% of breaker, whichever is greater. See below for Table 310.15( B)( 16) from the 2014 NEC for current limits. You can do a 50A breaker circuit with a #8 Cu wire, but many use a #6 for added efficiency. If you do that with the common insulation types (center Cu column), then the wire is rated at 65A. I believe that the NEC allows you to go to the next larger, standard breaker if there is not one for your wire current limit. That would let you use a 70A breaker with #6 wire. You could then set the HPWC dip switches to 70A (56A charging). Your car would charge at 40A and have very low line loss, and if someone stopped by with dual chargers, they could charge at 56A for a 40% faster charge.

NEC Currents.png