Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MURB Wall Connector (Power Sharing & Power Throttling)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mtch

May 22, 2023
VIC
We are a multi unit residential mid rise building and are wondering if there is experience here with 6:1 Power sharing on a 40 amp breaker. What happens when all 6 units are charging:
1). Does number 6 not charge or do all not charge because they are allotted 5.3 amps
2). What happens when wifi is lost. Does the Wall charger rever to 5.3 amps or 6 amps?

Has anyone implemented a power throttling device (in EVEMS) and what third party unit did you use?

We haven't agreed to this approach but this is what our electrician recommends (with a different vendor)

To me, it only makes sense to set up a power sharing group of chargers if each wall connector has 6 amps available since that is the minimum to actually charge a car. So, for a group of 6 I would only use a breaker of 6 * 6 * 1.25 = 45A minimum. Obviously, there must be a reason that you chose 40A, but hopefully you could use a 50A or 60A breaker.

Now that I look at your location, I'm not sure my advice is correct. I am speaking from a North American perspective on electrical codes. If you are in Victoria, BC, what I said above probably applies. If you are in Victoria, AUS, then it's probably not correct.