Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This just feels wrong (towing a utility trailer to the dump)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
My guess is about 4000 lbs. For the small non highway trip it was around 500 wh/mi (double what I would get on that trip).

It towed like there was nothing back there. Love having backup camera on the whole time (and low enough to not be distracting, try that on a landscape screen ;)). Brake controller worked perfect.

My Jeep that was rated 6500 lbs towing would have felt it.

Only thing that is a pain is hooking up the chains.

48969662841_43167a51eb_h_d.jpg

Note: Only the last 8 out of 15 miles was towing.

48969838567_e94e961321_h_d.jpg

Yes, I have thought about them, but didn't see much out there for Model X.

I hear yeah. I searched the interwebs for hours and could not find a solution for mud flaps for the Model X, so I made some for the front this weekend :).

And when towing, you typically need to drive on surfaces that are not perfectly paved asphalt, thus the need from some type of protection from debris IMO -- but that is a completely different topic I will leave for another thread :).

I've heard of folks adding an extra link to the chain mount point to make chaining up easier.

Anything you would recommend for towing besides a brake controller?

Was the brake controller install relatively straight forward?

I hear yeah. I searched the interwebs for hours and could not find a solution for mud flaps for the Model X, so I made some for the front this weekend :).

And when towing, you typically need to drive on surfaces that are not perfectly paved asphalt, thus the need from some type of protection from debris IMO -- but that is a completely different topic I will leave for another thread :).

I've heard of folks adding an extra link to the chain mount point to make chaining up easier.

Anything you would recommend for towing besides a brake controller?

Was the brake controller install relatively straight forward?

I thought I looked harder for Mudflaps before but your comment made me look again, there are several on E-Bay. These are similar to what I put (and many others put) on their Model 3, that I was fairly happy with. So I just ordered these. Might only install the front.

4x Car Mud Flaps Splash Guard Fender Mudguard For Tesla Model X 2019 + Screws | eBay

I had the Tekonsha P3 in my Jeep that I kept. Problem is nobody makes a ready made Adapter for Model X.
So you have to make one from the supplied pig tail that comes with the car. So I cut the P3 Connector off the Jeep Adapter and soldered it onto the Tesla Pigtail. Looks Factory. Just plug it in.

I had to drill one hole in that plastic piece you had remove under the dash to get at that socket to plug into, to mount the P3.
It's almost exactly how I had the P3 mounted in my Jeep. It's out of the way, reachable and viewable as needed.

Yes, I had to extend a set of chains on one trailer. It's a longer than average reach.

Trying decide how often, if at all, I want to remove the hitch and put the cover on. It's pain to put on, but I don't want it all to rust up.
I might only remove it when the snow starts to fly.

My place in the photo is on a dirt road, it's not long, but long enough to trash the sides in 30 seconds.

Man, where was this post this weekend before I decided to do the DIY front mud flap job on the X... I totally did not think about searching eBay. And absolutely nothing was coming up on Google...

Definitely sounds like towing with the X is doable, but a real PITA to get everything setup (hitch, brake controller, chain mount point extensions).

Thank you for sharing brother! Helped me learn something new and sets my expectations for when/if we decided to tow

Man, where was this post this weekend before I decided to do the DIY front mud flap job on the X... I totally did not think about searching eBay. And absolutely nothing was coming up on Google...

Definitely sounds like towing with the X is doable, but a real PITA to get everything setup (hitch, brake controller, chain mount point extensions).

Thank you for sharing brother! Helped me learn something new and sets my expectations for when/if we decided to tow

Really, very minor nuisance on brake controller cable. Jeep came with the same pigtail as Tesla. It just so happen Jeep was popular enough to sell a full adapter and not Tesla (yet). Maybe they will when the Pickup starts selling like hot cakes. Any trailer shop can make you one, just give them your pigtail and tell them which controller you want to use. P3 is very popular.

Extending chain is nothing. I had shortened one set for the Jeep because it was dragging. So now I put it back :)

Only real annoyance is having to get on the ground to hook up chains. So glad I didn’t get white or cream seats though ;)

Reactions: BullishPip
Really, very minor nuisance on brake controller cable. Jeep came with the same pigtail as Tesla. It just so happen Jeep was popular enough to sell a full adapter and not Tesla (yet). Maybe they will when the Pickup starts selling like hot cakes. Any trailer shop can make you one, just give them your pigtail and tell them which controller you want to use. P3 is very popular.

Extending chain is nothing. I had shortened one set for the Jeep because it was dragging. So now I put it back :)

Only real annoyance is having to get on the ground to hook up chains. So glad I didn’t get white or cream seats though ;)

@mswlogo - It's been a month since you traded your 3 for an X. So far so good? Does the Porsche jack work with your X or did you have to find a new creative solution? Nice tow (and picture)!

@mswlogo - It's been a month since you traded your 3 for an X. So far so good? Does the Porsche jack work with your X or did you have to find a new creative solution? Nice tow (and picture)!

I'm assuming the Porsche jack will work but have yet to test it, been a little busy, see below.

I've been meaning to wrote something up, but I needed to cool off, mainly on this issue before an objective review/comparison

Tesla, are they snakes or dumber than a brick?

This was an issue to that I think I finally nailed and was an issue on the Model 3 too that I never resolved.

Cleaning the windshield Magic Eraser? Claybar? Invisible Glass?

I'm fairly confident Tesla would have resolved this issue, still somewhat inexcusable, but I felt more comfortable dealing with it myself.

Possible wind noise around drivers side mirror Model X Raven

And one very positive thread, and I'm dead serious about this and you can see a few folks understand exactly where I'm coming from. Some others will never get it.

I drive my Model X (non Performance) more spirited than I ever drove my Performance Model 3

Reactions: BullishPip
I'm assuming the Porsche jack will work but have yet to test it, been a little busy, see below.

I've been meaning to wrote something up, but I needed to cool off, mainly on this issue before an objective review/comparison

Tesla, are they snakes or dumber than a brick?

This was an issue to that I think I finally nailed and was an issue on the Model 3 too that I never resolved.

Cleaning the windshield Magic Eraser? Claybar? Invisible Glass?

I'm fairly confident Tesla would have resolved this issue, still somewhat inexcusable, but I felt more comfortable dealing with it myself.

Possible wind noise around drivers side mirror Model X Raven

And one very positive thread, and I'm dead serious about this and you can see a few folks understand exactly where I'm coming from. Some others will never get it.

I drive my Model X (non Performance) more spirited than I ever drove my Performance Model 3

Thanks for the update and links. Will review them now. I haven't been too active on the forum the past month as I've been helping my son sell his condo, buy and renovate a new house, etc.

My guess is about 4000 lbs. For the small non highway trip it was around 500 wh/mi (double what I would get on that trip).

It towed like there was nothing back there. Love having backup camera on the whole time (and low enough to not be distracting, try that on a landscape screen ;)). Brake controller worked perfect.

My Jeep that was rated 6500 lbs towing would have felt it.

Only thing that is a pain is hooking up the chains.

48969662841_43167a51eb_h_d.jpg

Note: Only the last 8 out of 15 miles was towing.

48969838567_e94e961321_h_d.jpg

I rented and towed a mini excavator on mine. When I returned it, everyone came out because they didn't believe someone with a Tesla was renting an excavator and willing to tow it.

Them: "You drive a Tesla, can't you just hire someone to dig whatever you needed to dig?"
Me: "If I hired them to do it, I wouldn't be able to afford the Tesla"

The hooks are deep in there, I grabbed a set of 5000lb working load quick links to extend the loops. It tucks aware neatly under the cover still when I'm not using it. If you're towing frequently, it may be worth a consideration to save you some scraped knuckles and frustration with bigger chains and hooks.