Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This place is dead as a doornail - are we all just waiting for Highland?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s actually the opposite, true performance cars are not luxurious. They are stripped down to save on weight.
We aren't talking about true performance cars. We are talking about performance sedans which is a different segment entirely. My statement isn't really controversial: as people pay more for a car for more performance they tend to expect better fit, finish and feature and yes, luxury. Of course there are exceptions to the generality. I'm just not really sure what segment these Tesla performance models are trying to occupy. They are sort of tweaners. Not a criticism just an observation.

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P
Sure, there are stripped down performance cars, but not stripped down to the level of a Tesla TBH. Maybe Tesla will keep making really fast cars with cheap interiors. Just seems like a collision of concepts to me. The cars you listed offer more in terms of a visceral driving experience and traditional enthusiasts do value those qualities whereas a Tesla is mostly a one pedal, noiseless experience. Not judging that negatively - the M3P is plenty of fun to drive minus the crap suspension.

Oh I agree. To me Tesla is the best Commuter in the world. But as an enthusiast car, not really.

We aren't talking about true performance cars. We are talking about performance sedans which is a different segment entirely. My statement isn't really controversial: as people pay more for a car for more performance they tend to expect better fit, finish and feature and yes, luxury. Of course there are exceptions to the generality. I'm just not really sure what segment these Tesla performance models are trying to occupy. They are sort of tweaners. Not a criticism just an observation.
So the Honda Civic Type R, Golf R, or Subaru WRX STI buyers are expecting to have luxurious fit and finish? They are paying for the power, not the niceties.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
True, however then why would the CEO try and compare a M3P to a BMW M3? That would insinuate that the car competes in that league ,no? It’s one of the reasons I purchased a M3P and not another C63S from Mercedes-Benz. So I have to tend to agree with @clerks , that they kinda need to pick a lane for what they want to be. Are you a mass brand that wants to compete with Toyota or are you a Premium brand that wants to compete with BMW. I paid 70k for my car back in June of ‘22 (no FSD) for a car that now is being sold for a lot less and then people are getting a 7500 rebate back on top of that already reduced price ? Doesn’t show any integrity in the brand or that it’s a premium or luxury brand by any means.

Again, the C8 can be compared to higher quality supercars. GM doesn't have to pick a lane. It's the same thing here. Musk compares it to an M3 in terms of performance numbers, and that's where it stops.

Reactions: ucmndd
Oh I agree. To me Tesla is the best Commuter in the world. But as an enthusiast car, not really.
Right, which leads me back to my point about what role the S, X and Performance variants actually serve. Perhaps it is just about getting higher profit margins on some segment of sales. When the M3P was first released, it was 75K and Elon claimed it was an M3 Killer. Now they are sub 50k, and no where close to an M3 killer (yes, I know the 0 to 60 times but that is one component of many). I am interested to see what Tesla decides to do with a model that was originally intended to be a top class performance sedan. Hell, they even developed a fairly impressive Track mode for the car.

So the Honda Civic Type R, Golf R, or Subaru WRX STI buyers are expecting to have luxurious fit and finish? They are paying for the power, not the niceties.
Apparently, you can't read because I said generally and with exceptions. And in any event, the interiors in all of those cars are nicer than a Model 3. The M3P was dubbed an M3 killer by Elon himself, not a "hot hatch" killer. If the future of the M3P is to compete with hot hatches, that's fine. I just interested to see how it plays out.

Totally agree as I feel and honestly tried Tesla out with the same mindset you speak of here from what I’ve always experienced with any car before my Tesla. But, it kinda seems that the general consensus from what people are saying on here is that these cars aren’t meant to have luxury. So maybe you’re paying a premium purely for the tech and nothing else. Just an idea 🤷🏼‍♂.

Reactions: clerks
Totally agree as I feel and honestly tried Tesla out with the same mindset you speak of here from what I’ve always experienced with any car before my Tesla. But, it kinda seems that the general consensus from what people are saying on here is that these cars aren’t meant to have luxury. So maybe you’re paying a premium purely for the tech and nothing else. Just an idea 🤷🏼‍♂.
Right, and I'd personally pay a premium over the premium for a more luxurious and performance oriented Tesla. Doesn't seem like Tesla is interested in exploring that market.

Right, and I'd personally pay a premium over the premium for a more luxurious and performance oriented Tesla. Doesn't seem like Tesla is interested in exploring that market.
Totally on the same page. I recently had a Alcantara headliner installed and it does help with a more upscale feel in case you were looking for ways to make it feel like such.

Reactions: clerks
I like how @NCDAG's M3P and @clerks are just making each other feel better.

I dont see it that way. I see it as they wish Tesla made a Luxury competitor to like an AMG63 or a BMW M3, with a bunch of differentiation from the regular model 3s.

Tesla model 3 performance variants compete with those vehicle in only one category (actual performance). Tesla isnt interested in loading up a bunch of extra cost stuff on there that takes away from their profit per vehicle. The performance versions are the most profitable (for BMW and Mercedes too).

BMW / Mercedes lean into the "show everyone you got the higher trim visually" aesthetic, with more options on the upper trims etc, rather than them just being faster. Tesla just uses existing parts and software to deliver a faster car with almost no real extra cost, but at a higher profit margin.

Its easy for Tesla to just "Stay the course" and ship a performance version that is faster, but thats it. If people buy it, great, Tesla makes more money per sale. If they dont, also not an issue, since they didnt sink a bunch of costs into trying to make it different.

Note that, I happen to be someone who would prefer more visual differentiation, as well. I just also know that Tesla chose not to do that, and it makes them more money NOT to. I dont think we are going to see a model 3 with fancy stock headliner options, or different colors available on the performance trim vs regular trim, or leather on the performance trim, or none of that other stuff BMW / Merc do. People who want that stuff will go back to BMW / Merc, and I personally think thats fine.

Trying to be everything to everyone is what is getting BMW in trouble now, for example. Every car is not for everyone. Tesla should stick to "mass market fast cars", since I dont think they can actually compete with car manufacturers that know how to make a "real" luxury car, nor should they, in my opinion at least.

I dont see it that way. I see it as they wish Tesla made a Luxury competitor to like an AMG63 or a BMW M3, with a bunch of differentiation from the regular model 3s.

Tesla model 3 performance variants compete with those vehicle in only one category (actual performance). Tesla isnt interested in loading up a bunch of extra cost stuff on there that takes away from their profit per vehicle. The performance versions are the most profitable (for BMW and Mercedes too).

BMW / Mercedes lean into the "show everyone you got the higher trim visually" aesthetic, with more options on the upper trims etc, rather than them just being faster. Tesla just uses existing parts and software to deliver a faster car with almost no real extra cost, but at a higher profit margin.

Its easy for Tesla to just "Stay the course" and ship a performance version that is faster, but thats it. If people buy it, great, Tesla makes more money per sale. If they dont, also not an issue, since they didnt sink a bunch of costs into trying to make it different.

Note that, I happen to be someone who would prefer more visual differentiation, as well. I just also know that Tesla chose not to do that, and it makes them more money NOT to. I dont think we are going to see a model 3 with fancy stock headliner options, or different colors available on the performance trim vs regular trim, or leather on the performance trim, or none of that other stuff BMW / Merc do. People who want that stuff will go back to BMW / Merc, and I personally think thats fine.

Trying to be everything to everyone is what is getting BMW in trouble now, for example. Every car is not for everyone. Tesla should stick to "mass market fast cars", since I dont think they can actually compete with car manufacturers that know how to make a "real" luxury car, nor should they, in my opinion at least.
Really well put thanks for that. I think it’s definitely a learning curve when coming to Tesla from a legacy automaker. $70k at Tesla doesn’t give you what $70k at Mb or BMW etc. give you. (I’m using that figure because that’s what I paid btw before I get scolded for not using the current price.) And I think it’s something you can accept or can’t accept and make an educated decision going forward on what to buy next go around.

This is exactly what I was saying. I agree with your response in that Tesla does not appear interested in exploring this segment and the reasons seem to be well founded at least if profits and margins are the reason. I do think there is value in a "halo" car even if perhaps it doesn't make sense financially to produce one. Legacy automakers have done this for years. If Tesla continues to stay the course and just produce a "faster" variant with no other differentiation, that's certainly their choice. I just won't be a customer.