Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This place is dead as a doornail - are we all just waiting for Highland?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The traditional definition of “luxury” includes limiting the production of your product to maintain exclusivity and brand cachet.

This is why you generally can’t walk into a boutique anywhere in the world and buy a new Rolex from an authorized dealer right now. It’s why Porsche and Ferrari need to “invite” you to buy any of their “special” models and generally make you wait at least a year or two for the privilege to buy any of their plebe cars. It’s not because they can’t make enough of them - it’s because their business model is very explicitly NOT to.

Anybody who walked into a Tesla store thinking they were buying a Rolex instead of an Apple Watch has paid literally no attention to anything about this company since the moment it was conceived.

The entire business model and mission is to sell as many cars as possible. When you are unwilling to artificially constrain supply because it’s antithetical to your mission, traditional market principles dictate the price.

The market is dictating the price to just about EVERY automaker right now - not just Tesla.

Reactions: GOVA
Again, the C8 can be compared to higher quality supercars. GM doesn't have to pick a lane. It's the same thing here. Musk compares it to an M3 in terms of performance numbers, and that's where it stops.
The C8 isn’t the same price point as “higher quality supercars”. The M3P until as of the end of last year was the same price point as a M3 /C63. So the point isn’t really proven. I’m happy they reduced the car though if it’s not supposed to compete in that league. Just unfortunate that it wasn’t marketed as such from the beginning as just a fast eco car.

I’ve ignored my DRLs that have gone out again after being replaced under warranty. Otherwise, no issues to speak of on my 2017 S
Is that a common thing on the refreshed model S ? I know they have those projector headlights (or at least they look like they have projector)

The C8 isn’t the same price point as “higher quality supercars”. The M3P until as of the end of last year was the same price point as a M3 /C63. So the point isn’t really proven. I’m happy they reduced the car though if it’s not supposed to compete in that league. Just unfortunate that it wasn’t marketed as such from the beginning as just a fast eco car.

Again, we are talking about right here and right now. You can’t keep moving the goal post to prove your point.

As of this moment the M3P is $50k. Good luck finding an M3 under $80k.

Again, we are talking about right here and right now. You can’t keep moving the goal post to prove your point.

As of this moment the M3P is $50k. Good luck finding an M3 under $80k.
Whatever you say bud, Musk also made the comparison in 2018 when the car came out no? And in 2018 it was the same price point. Now it is understood that Model 3 clearly doesn’t compete with a BMW or MB or any luxury vehicle based on what others have said today. It competes with the electric Hyundais/Kia/VW etc. based on price point and design. Good info to have for perspective buyers and current owners alike.

Whatever you say bud, Musk also made the comparison in 2018 when the car came out no? And in 2018 it was the same price point. Now it is understood that Model 3 clearly doesn’t compete with a BMW or MB or any luxury vehicle based on what others have said today. It competes with the electric Hyundais/Kia/VW etc. based on price point and design. Good info to have for perspective buyers and current owners alike.

That’s been established for years….. are you new to EV’s?

Is that a common thing on the refreshed model S ? I know they have those projector headlights (or at least they look like they have projector)
The DRls getting dim is a common issue. I think they are overdriven for brightness or something.

If I don’t trade, there’s a place that will replace them and add turn signal to the drl at the same time. Also cheaper than new.

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P
Have a good night man. You’re very condescending and just rude. You’re clearly missing the points….the M3P hasn’t been 50k for years btw.

Smh…… why are you so caught up in the past?

The economy, demand, and other factors have everything to do with pricing. Again, even “in the past” you couldn’t get an M3 for MSRP which BTW was not even close to the M3P MSRP.

I don’t get it.

Show me an M3P that was the same MSRP as a 2018 M3…. I’ll wait. You might want to move those goal post again 🙄

IMG_0129.jpeg

Smh…… why are you so caught up in the past?

The economy, demand, and other factors have everything to do with pricing. Again, even “in the past” you couldn’t get an M3 for MSRP which BTW was not even close to the M3P MSRP.

I don’t get it.

Show me an M3P that was the same MSRP as a 2018 M3…. I’ll wait. You might want to move those goal post again 🙄

View attachment 981036
The M3P was 65k+ in 2018. He's absolutely right. You're completely missing his point which he made several times and you are either ignoring or not paying attention. The M3P was designed to be an M3 killer and cost near as much at the time. Since that time, the M3P has turned into an econobox and the M3 remains the best sports sedan on the planet. Progress my friend. All we are saying is it's odd that Tesla has doesn't seem interested in having the M3P keep pace with the cars it was designed to compete with. People here are now comparing the M3P to a VW R not an M3. That's quite a fall from grace from 2018.

The DRls getting dim is a common issue. I think they are overdriven for brightness or something.

If I don’t trade, there’s a place that will replace them and add turn signal to the drl at the same time. Also cheaper than new.
I had mine replaced under warranty, and the ranger said it would burn unevenly again, Tesla charges 3500 a pair. Others have reported they have replaced the headlights several times. Actually, it is only the eyebrows, it looks bad but is not really that useful. Many years ago, they used to be able to turn on/off separately but that's no longer the case now. I will leave it as is if it turns bad again or find a cheaper option to fix it.

The M3P was 65k+ in 2018. He's absolutely right. You're completely missing his point which he made several times and you are either ignoring or not paying attention. The M3P was designed to be an M3 killer and cost near as much at the time. Since that time, the M3P has turned into an econobox and the M3 remains the best sports sedan on the planet. Progress my friend. All we are saying is it's odd that Tesla has doesn't seem interested in having the M3P keep pace with the cars it was designed to compete with. People here are now comparing the M3P to a VW R not an M3. That's quite a fall from grace from 2018.

And as I posted above the MSRP of a Base $73k.

While the top of the Line was $99k.

Again, that’s MSRP, add another $10-$30k for Market adjustment and it’s not as close as you say it is.

No one has ever said the M3P was more than an Econobox, performance wise it did compete with the M3 why is this hard to understand?

That econobox is now several thousand below that M3. And being an owner of a VW R, I can say the VW R is also a better sport car than the M3P not to mention the tuning capabilities.

Smh

(Moderator note)

I am not sure what is "in the water" this week, but this is like the 4th thread in the model 3 / Y subforums where people are escalating the discussion past "debate" and into condescending / snippy type responses. A lot of the responses in the last couple pages of this thread are borderline, but this is a request (that I intend to enforce) to be more polite to each other.

Since I am making this public "request" any further actions I take wont be preceded by any more requests / warnings etc.

Reactions: Krash
I had mine replaced under warranty, and the ranger said it would burn unevenly again, Tesla charges 3500 a pair. Others have reported they have replaced the headlights several times. Actually, it is only the eyebrows, it looks bad but is not really that useful. Many years ago, they used to be able to turn on/off separately but that's no longer the case now. I will leave it as is if it turns bad again or find a cheaper option to fix it.
Off topic, but the thread is anyway. I was going to use these folks - Custom High-Performance Headlights | SW Lights and make them "switchback" style. At least pre-sale support was very good. Or I'll leave them continue to dim and ignore it.

Reactions: Krash
And as I posted above the MSRP of a Base $73k.

While the top of the Line was $99k.

Again, that’s MSRP, add another $10-$30k for Market adjustment and it’s not as close as you say it is.

No one has ever said the M3P was more than an Econobox, performance wise it did compete with the M3 why is this hard to understand?

That econobox is now several thousand below that M3. And being an owner of a VW R, I can say the VW R is also a better sport car than the M3P not to mention the tuning capabilities.

Smh
There were no market adjustments in 2018. At least we agree that we'd both prefer an R to an M3P which is really saying something about how far the M3P has fallen from its intended competition.

That’s not a best selling model. I never said that car companies don’t discount. I said that they don’t discount best selling models. Every example you guys have shown me , which I do appreciate the examples , are all of models that aren’t moving which is why they’re being discounted. So you’re just proving my point. I don’t understand the hostility on this forum but attacking someone or trying to prove someone wrong when you didn’t read their comment to its entirety isn’t necessary. This clearly isn’t a friendly community from what I’ve experienced. I hope you guys are nicer moving forward to others.