Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Truck:
For the a good number of truck posers in my area (including the H2 crowd) I can definitely see this eventually appealing to them. The look is definitely polarizing, but it grew on me quick. What kept me from plunking down my $100 is that I'm not sure I have space for a vehicle of this size, lol and I haven't seen any dimension specs.

What does concern me though, is the visibility from the driving position. I feel Tesla has been optimizing for camera and sensor aided driving visibility, versus line of sight and mirror visibility from the beginning. Case in point, the relatively useless afterthought mirrors in my 3. It's a small leap to totally trust the tech (cameras, sensors) though, but still, something so big, you want good lines of sight, and that thing looks impossible to see out the back.

Presentation:
That window fail is probably top 3 cringeworthy moments in reality TV history though. Elon isn't the most eloquent guy, so, something so terribly off script had me wanting to hide my face. That was horrifying, lol.

I appreciate EM, but I'm definitely in the camp wondering if there are better options to do the presentation during these events though. At a minimum, EM needs a hype man to keep things moving smoothly, prompting him when he loses is spot in the notes, or at least control the damn preso clicker so the presentation deadspace isn't so awkward. The entire spoken/demo production needed polish and more polish

Oh the presentation was THE WORST Tesla has ever done... and the window... it didn't shatter and that could have been a great point but lost in the "oh crap" moment... THEN THEY DID IT AGAIN! WTF? Unfortunately as much as we love Elon, he just isn't a presenter but this was bad even for him.

As for size, it's 20ft so similar to a F150.

I do disagree regarding sight lines though... If you're really using the truck, sight is blocked by cargo/camper etc anyway IMHO

Mirror polish
Lot of work but can be done
18nawkbetaqt0jpg.jpg

So how many HUNDREDS of reservations has Tesla taken for this monstrosity so far? Every other EV maker is breathing a huge sigh of relief, they just got 2 more years to work on their own things, and learned what not to do.

According to this article, more than 200000:

(Damn it! Copied the wrong link. Christopher Dungeon on Twitter)

I think it looks cool. Rivian R1T looks outdated by comparison.

Now, it'd be awesome if the truck could power a 30A travel trailer.

Last edited:
Well, it certainly did poralize opinions :) I think it's still a work-in-process. There were no badges, no side-mirrors, lack of headlights, possibly lacking turn indicators, no winshield wiper(s) from what I can see etc. My first impression was what the ^#%@? But the more I look at it, the more I'm warming to the sharp-edged design and unique look. It certainly makes a statement. Let's see how this "prototype" evolves over time. Perhaps Tesla's intention was to reveal it in it's current form and begin to gather opinions that will utlimately shape the final design. Of course, I may be completely off target ...

So how many HUNDREDS of reservations has Tesla taken for this monstrosity so far? Every other EV maker is breathing a huge sigh of relief, they just got 2 more years to work on their own things, and learned what not to do.

Funny you guessed 100s. Last I saw when someone was comparing RNs from when the reservations opened to people sharing when ordering this morning, close to 100K. Off by quite a bit. Looks like it's getting some love.

I think you will be surprised at the number of reservations especially when its only $100 and fully refundable. To put that in perspective the Model 3 was $1,000 and the Model Y is $2,500.