Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mattjs33 - my man - long time no see.

Yes, it's been a while, hasn't it?

How would this bad boy be at hauling around auto parts. Be honest. :)

Well, it has the range, I'll give it that. But I honestly don't need a truck with this much capability. We haven't had a full size truck in the fleet in 30 years. We have only two Colorados right now, because sometimes you need to deliver 10 cases of washer fluid or a drum of oil. One has a liftgate.

We use Chevrolet HHR's that we buy used. It makes no sense to spend much more when on some trips you are delivering an oil filter and a couple sets of brake pads. They work just fine for 95% of our deliveries, and get high 20's mpg as well.

I'm actually starting to look at used Bolts. They're quite a bit more expensive but could save us $500 or more a month each in fuel. The only question is cold weather range, and lifespan. They at least have the range. Nothing else affordable does.

Anyway, back to the Cybertruck. Design-wise, it's horrid. I'm sorry. So much to unwrap there. If it had been a cabover or a forward control type, with a conventional bed, it could have set the light truck market on its ear. Instead it reads as an Elon vanity project. I don't understand why there's not even a shred of corporate design theme to it. Teslas aren't bad looking cars, after all.

Everyone hails the specs. I don't care. She might be the best f*ck I've ever had but if I can't stand to look at her, I'm not inviting her home.

Doesn't matter. The True Believers will buy them, even if they don't know why.

Anyway, back to the Cybertruck. Design-wise, it's horrid. I'm sorry. So much to unwrap there. If it had been a cabover or a forward control type, with a conventional bed, it could have set the light truck market on its ear. Instead it reads as an Elon vanity project. I don't understand why there's not even a shred of corporate design theme to it. Teslas aren't bad looking cars, after all.

Everyone hails the specs. I don't care. She might be the best f*ck I've ever had but if I can't stand to look at her, I'm not inviting her home.

Perfectly put.

• Love
Reactions: rjdoc74
I'm actually starting to look at used Bolts. They're quite a bit more expensive but could save us $500 or more a month each in fuel. The only question is cold weather range, and lifespan. They at least have the range. Nothing else affordable does.

I think for raw gas savings and spending least $ of money, I think the Prius is the best out there? Though I'd rather be caught in a Cybertruck I think over a Prius. :D

Elon/Tesla definitely KNOW that a conventional truck looks like. They even showed off a bunch at the start of the presentation.

Tesla also know how to make attractive cars. Even though the X is an S that meatbombed, its better looking than a lot of SUVs.

My guess is they were faced with a decision of conforming to LOOKS or conforming to UTILITY. And a compromise in the middle sucks. The problem with compromising is the customer pays MORE MONEY for LESS KILOWATTS.

My last ICE vehicle is a Dodge Grand Caravan. I think Cybertruck can replace it. At being not much more than a base Model 3, it oozes performance, utility and value.

Looks.. will take time getting used to.

To continue with your analogy, sure you can invite the best looking, but most expensive, least utilitarian, most boring bangable person home. The problem is when you have to keep it.

Most people would prefer the looks of a Rivian over a Cybertruck, but are they prepared to pay same price for HALF the range of a Cybertruck and lose ALL THE AMENITIES owning a Tesla offers? Autonomous driving enhancements, entertainment features, updates, supercharger network, etc, etc.

I simply love it.

If you want to mindlessly follow the same old boring, endlessly-copied design, it’s not for you.

If you want a great truck with great specs and a thoughtful re-imagining of what a truck should be, this is it.

It’ll get even better before release, and it will sell in big numbers. It’ll change the way people think.

Changes I would make in priority order.

1. Do away with the raked front pillars and make the front windshield wraparound. Vision out the front should be a high priority.
2. Make the side panels on the bed retractable making it easy to reach over the side of the bed when needed..
3. Make the stainless steel black stainless steel and as smudge proof as possible.

Attachments

• TeslaTruckEdit-1.jpg.png
    TeslaTruckEdit-1.jpg.png
    627.8 KB · Views: 69
Yea - sorry - but the Aztec (similarly shaped), was a design that no body wanted, decades ago - and history always repeats - nothing new under the sun. Same with this shape. Heck - even the decades old Stealth fighter now looks dated ... but its surfaces at least serve a purpose - masking radar signature.

View attachment 480088

I forget which EV / wanabe / fail / reveal it was, where the presentation involved a door not opening - and that car never came to production. Mocking laughter was the consensus. This is why manufacturers took years to put stuff in the public eye. It's also why our shiny new Model S didn't make it home some years back, when the air suspension failed. It's also why our Model X body sections were mis-aligned, & why our windshield caused double vision / ghosting, & why the 1/2 shafts shuddered badly, and why dealers just shrugged shoulders for the longest times. etc. Musk - can't live with him, can't live w/out him. (sigh) The only thing equally empathy raising is the huge amount of disagree postings from (fellow) tesla fans - when they (majority / typically) say, "this look - not going to overtake the traditional pickup look" ... or, "makes the Rivian pickup look better". Sure, a minority may like it. But the reason The 3, the S, & the X take away sales, is because they don't over do it ... they just out do it.

When we had to deal w/ way too many defects w/ out 2 Tesla's (to the point we just unloaded them onto 2 different poor unsuspecting souls) i admit i hated Musk for some time. Then it became acceptable. Even with bad feeling - one has to feel sorry for musk with the glass breaking. But really? Many don't live in So Cal, and occasionally have to pass over rivers & such, & if frozen over, one can sile off and into the drink. Now, you can't break the glass. And if battery is on fire? Tell the fireman or bystander to not feel too bad, thru the unbreakable glass. Because you ain't getting out.

Almost 1/3 of 2018 production vehicles have laminated side glass like the windshield making impossible to break like an older side window. It is being done to comply with Federal ejection mitigation laws. It is also quieter.

Some Car Windows Are Harder to Break in an Emergency, Says AAA

Truck:
For the a good number of truck posers in my area (including the H2 crowd) I can definitely see this eventually appealing to them. The look is definitely polarizing, but it grew on me quick. What kept me from plunking down my $100 is that I'm not sure I have space for a vehicle of this size, lol and I haven't seen any dimension specs. And I don't want to be a hypocrite, I've purposefully driven economical and smaller cars all my life as a lifestyle choice, engaged in inadequacy jokes at the raised truck crowd, and here i'd be signing up for one. le'Sigh...

The majority of drivers in my area have never had a front end loader/forklift drop payload from the side of their truck, and at peak utility, probably loaded most of their payload from the back, as usual parked in their local Home Depot, or local soccer venue. A lot of the so called arguments against the utility don't seem to pan out that much. Looking at the package, this sits at a weird market position for so many crowds, I actually think it'll definitely have a market, and the pricing is definitely a deal maker.

What does concern me though, is the visibility from the driving position. I feel Tesla has been optimizing for camera and sensor aided driving visibility, versus line of sight and mirror visibility from the beginning. Case in point, the relatively useless afterthought mirrors in my 3. It's a small leap to totally trust the tech (cameras, sensors) though, but still, something so big, you want good lines of sight, and that thing looks impossible to see out the back. I do wish they would have stuck closer to the existing Tesla design language though. I think Tesla makes some very attractive curves, so it's jarring they put out something devoid of any, lol.

Presentation:
That window fail is probably top 3 cringeworthy moments in reality TV history though. Elon isn't the most eloquent guy, so, something so terribly off script had me wanting to hide my face. That was horrifying, lol.

I appreciate EM, but I'm definitely in the camp wondering if there are better options to do the presentation during these events though. At a minimum, EM needs a hype man to keep things moving smoothly, prompting him when he loses is spot in the notes, or at least control the damn preso clicker so the presentation deadspace isn't so awkward. The entire spoken/demo production needed polish and more polish

The truck is designed for strength, not beauty. Physics dictates it shape, not artistic opinion. The triangles add strength to the body shell. The shape is an attempt to also lower wind resistance. The ability to adjust height above ground is pure genius. Now that I've been looking at the new Tesla truck, the classical trucks looks less attractive to me. It's funny how quickly the mind can adjust to a new beauty. I see a new level of physics in the truck and this is a weakness in the older truck designs. Elon is leading us into a new age of trucking. The other truck manufacturers are now going to need to improve their truck's physics or they will remain behind Tesla in performance.