Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts and Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model 3 on pre order and looking to get into a used model S, certain things I wonder as I look at the used car market.

There was a 2014 Model S 60kw base with 32k miles that sold for $47k I thought that was a good deal.

However there are 2013 model P85 with lots of options with miles from 65k-89k out there between $50-$53k, for resale value and everything else purposes isn't it better to get a performance model? Curious what you existing owners think...

How valuable are features such as Dual Charger? (I would imagine people would rate this as very important so you can charge twice as fast?)

Tech Package (which I believe adds front and rear sensors, but without the AP since I am looking at 12 or 13 models)

Upgraded Sound package (Which I think is kind of silly)

All Glass pano roof (I think this looks absolutely beautiful)

Carbon Fiber Trim (I think this looks very sporty and unique)

Rear Facing Seats (Useful for someone who may need it, but I keep thinking if you get rear ended from someone texting and driving or looking for a Pokemon the person sitting in the back would die)

How important are low or higher miles?

Does a vehicle with previous accident matter considering there is no engine so long as it wasn't affecting the title and is a clean title does it really matter since less moving parts?

Does location of car matter again since being that its sealed off on the bottom rust is less of a factor on this car then the tradition vehicle from lets say up north?

Looking at a 2012 and 2013 most used cars show coming with one key, is it important to make a second key or can i use the app on these models to get in and out of the car and turn it on?

Summon only works on the newer models correct?

Thanks I feel like I will be bugging you all a lot

How valuable are features such as Dual Charger? (I would imagine people would rate this as very important so you can charge twice as fast?)
You can only charge twice as fast at places that support it. And depending on where you live, there might not be any.

Supercharging is the same.

Rear Facing Seats (Useful for someone who may need it, but I keep thinking if you get rear ended from someone texting and driving or looking for a Pokemon the person sitting in the back would die)
Only kids can sit back there, no adults. And Tesla has the bumper reinforced to withstand (IIRC) a 50mph differential. So I wouldn't worry about death or injury due to the Rae facing seats

You have tons of questions! Good to ask them now.

I can only give you my preferences. So, here goes. I just wrote in another thread that Teslas don't wear out. A 2013 should be as good as a 2014, and miles don't make much difference one way or another. Some like Performance, but many of us don't need it at all, and wouldn't use it much. It gives you more tire wear and less range, so a Standard 85 might even be better.
Nearly everyone finds out pretty soon that they want more range. Unless you live in the middle of a city and never drive over 100 miles, I think you would do better with a bigger battery. Age, cold weather, high speed on freeways, drops the range a lot.
Tech package is most important for opening the rear hatch. Pano roof is absolutely gorgeous. Carbon fiber trim is not a necessity for me, but some people are willing to pay extra for it.
Rear facing seats... hmmm. If you have 5 kids like Elon, maybe so. I am not so worried about rear end crashes as they are not as high speed usually. And remember, this is the world's safest car.
Accidents might be very important. Have a Tesla dealer's approval, maybe. If the car were fixed in a regular body shop, at least hope they were proficient in aluminum bodies.
Rust is not much of a problem, but I live in CA, so I can't claim any intelligence here. I would guess one could ask if there were oxidation problems.
I would want a second key. Yeah, it will cost you, but if you lose your key and your phone is locked in the car, you're stuck.
And, yes, summon needs steering motors and sensors. But summon is hardly ever necessary, just fun.
There you have one driver's opinions. 100,000 miles, roughly 80,000+ on an S85.
Bug all you want. There are thousands of us wanting to tell everyone about this fantastic car!

You have tons of questions! Good to ask them now.

I can only give you my preferences. So, here goes. I just wrote in another thread that Teslas don't wear out. A 2013 should be as good as a 2014, and miles don't make much difference one way or another. Some like Performance, but many of us don't need it at all, and wouldn't use it much. It gives you more tire wear and less range, so a Standard 85 might even be better.
Nearly everyone finds out pretty soon that they want more range. Unless you live in the middle of a city and never drive over 100 miles, I think you would do better with a bigger battery. Age, cold weather, high speed on freeways, drops the range a lot.
Tech package is most important for opening the rear hatch. Pano roof is absolutely gorgeous. Carbon fiber trim is not a necessity for me, but some people are willing to pay extra for it.
Rear facing seats... hmmm. If you have 5 kids like Elon, maybe so. I am not so worried about rear end crashes as they are not as high speed usually. And remember, this is the world's safest car.
Accidents might be very important. Have a Tesla dealer's approval, maybe. If the car were fixed in a regular body shop, at least hope they were proficient in aluminum bodies.
Rust is not much of a problem, but I live in CA, so I can't claim any intelligence here. I would guess one could ask if there were oxidation problems.
I would want a second key. Yeah, it will cost you, but if you lose your key and your phone is locked in the car, you're stuck.
And, yes, summon needs steering motors and sensors. But summon is hardly ever necessary, just fun.
There you have one driver's opinions. 100,000 miles, roughly 80,000+ on an S85.
Bug all you want. There are thousands of us wanting to tell everyone about this fantastic car!
Great, thanks for the detailed feedback. So what year is yours and how many miles?