Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on ART Replica 171 wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand low unsprung weight is a good thing, but does that mean this wheel is less dense, and thus, more prone to cracking? Or are they actually using higher quality, low-weight material than some of the more expensive wheels out there.
For low quality wheels, yes. For high quality wheels, my understanding is that they can use different production methods to create strong, lightweight wheels (or just have good quality control for the aluminum's mechanical properties). One of the most popular track wheels is the Enkei RPF1. Good combination of strong/light/reasonable price. For the Model 3, the RPF1 front wheels weigh 17.8lb.

I would wonder how much reduced unsprung weight matters on the Model 3, though. It matters a lot for my Miata, but my Miata weighs 1,000-1,500lb less and so is more easily upset by mass moving around. There would of course be some effect of reduced unsprung weight on the Model 3, but the question is - how much bang for the buck do you get by reducing it? If it were me and this were a street fitment, I wouldn't worry too much about wheel weight, as long as it's in line with OE.

For low quality wheels, yes. For high quality wheels, my understanding is that they can use different production methods to create strong, lightweight wheels (or just have good quality control for the aluminum's mechanical properties). One of the most popular track wheels is the Enkei RPF1. Good combination of strong/light/reasonable price. For the Model 3, the RPF1 front wheels weigh 17.8lb.

I would wonder how much reduced unsprung weight matters on the Model 3, though. It matters a lot for my Miata, but my Miata weighs 1,000-1,500lb less and so is more easily upset by mass moving around. There would of course be some effect of reduced unsprung weight on the Model 3, but the question is - how much bang for the buck do you get by reducing it? If it were me and this were a street fitment, I wouldn't worry too much about wheel weight, as long as it's in line with OE.

Thank you so much for the thorough response!

Yes, this is just for street usage, as I want to keep a set for summer tires and use the OEM wheels for winter tires. Don't plan on going to the track with this car, I baby it too much for that.

I have placed my order for the Art Replica 171's.
First time buying rims for a vehicle and there was a lot to learn (hub centric, unsprung weight, off set, width, etc.). Your message helped.

Thank you so much for the thorough response!

Yes, this is just for street usage, as I want to keep a set for summer tires and use the OEM wheels for winter tires. Don't plan on going to the track with this car, I baby it too much for that.

I have placed my order for the Art Replica 171's.
First time buying rims for a vehicle and there was a lot to learn (hub centric, unsprung weight, off set, width, etc.). Your message helped.

Also thinking about getting a set of these. Have you received yours yet? Can you comment on the quality and colour match to the original aero rims?

5958A60B-64C1-4F0D-AA5A-F9C7F53174F5.jpeg
E15C58E6-352C-473E-BD19-D9D36BB9E6CB.jpeg
25747706-4AED-4BFE-A03B-F48953EE483B.jpeg
3B4E2BF1-D92F-49DC-93D8-ACC2E5A94B46.jpeg
65120DAE-7030-4869-B0AE-4564280D4584.jpeg
789B00B1-5CF9-413D-87B0-9E0584B283FB.jpeg
36805384-C70F-4E92-913A-EE55665B92B6.jpeg
Also thinking about getting a set of these. Have you received yours yet? Can you comment on the quality and colour match to the original aero rims?
Just received mine today. Though others would appreciate some photos. The colour is lighter than the aero rims. They have good colour depth and a lot of metallic shimmer. The are a touch darker than I hoped (I like a silver wheel), but I really like them. I would describe the quality as good, but definitely not OEM quality. Only the face of the rim is painted gunmetal - the rest of the rim is painted black (a cost savings measure I assume). The rim I opened has a small cosmetic defect in the casting and there are a few specks of dust in the paint here and there. Overall, I’d say at this point that they are worth the price. The Tesla center caps will fit as will the Tesla lug nut caps. If you were hoping to buy Tesla logo decals for the included center caps, don’t bother. There is a large “ART” logo moulded in the plastic.

Just received mine today. Though others would appreciate some photos. The colour is lighter than the aero rims. They have good colour depth and a lot of metallic shimmer. The are a touch darker than I hoped (I like a silver wheel), but I really like them. I would describe the quality as good, but definitely not OEM quality. Only the face of the rim is painted gunmetal - the rest of the rim is painted black (a cost savings measure I assume). The rim I opened has a small cosmetic defect in the casting and there are a few specks of dust in the paint here and there. Overall, I’d say at this point that they are worth the price. The Tesla center caps will fit as will the Tesla lug nut caps. If you were hoping to buy Tesla logo decals for the included center caps, don’t bother. There is a large “ART” logo moulded in the plastic.

Awesome! Thx for the info!

I know that some sacrifices need to be made at this price point (ex only outer face paint), however, those casting defects are a bit disappointing to me. The one of the outer part of the rim seems fairly noticeable to me from the full wheel pic. I hope its a lot less noticeable in person. Also, were all the rims exhibiting similar defects or was it just this one?

I received my R171 order. All looks good. I won't be able to mount these until August. I just ordered these ahead of time to ensure that I had them ready for the swap on my timetable.

odd thing was in one of the boxes I found 8 loose rubber black wheel valve stems. I have no use for these and give them to my tire shop so they can put them to good use.

Awesome! Thx for the info!

I know that some sacrifices need to be made at this price point (ex only outer face paint), however, those casting defects are a bit disappointing to me. The one of the outer part of the rim seems fairly noticeable to me from the full wheel pic. I hope its a lot less noticeable in person. Also, were all the rims exhibiting similar defects or was it just this one?
I opened the rest and luckily the others were better. Still a few specks of dust in the clear coat, but no casting defects.

The casting defects is pretty noticable (I wouldn't care if it was on the back, but unfortunately it's right on the front in full view). I sent a few pictures to the company I bought them from to see if the is something the supplier might be able to do, but I haven't heard back. Still happy with them though.

I opened the rest and luckily the others were better. Still a few specks of dust in the clear coat, but no casting defects.

The casting defects is pretty noticable (I wouldn't care if it was on the back, but unfortunately it's right on the front in full view). I sent a few pictures to the company I bought them from to see if the is something the supplier might be able to do, but I haven't heard back. Still happy with them though.

Thx for the update. I took the plunge and already placed an order. Crossing my fingers that the rims arrive in good condition.

Hope that the supplier where you purchased yours takes care of you. I made the purchase through PMC Tire. Never bought from them before but they seem to pretty good reviews.

Just received my set from PMC today. That was fast!

All-in-all the rims look good. Some of the spokes do have contamination specks in the clear coat but not too bad and probably not noticeable when standing away. Overall, for the price, I'm quite satisfied. These are the first aftermarket rims I've purchased so I don't really know whether these defects are to be expected.

Attachments

• 20190612_122300_HDR~2.jpg
    20190612_122300_HDR~2.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 548
  • 20190612_121639_HDR.jpg
    20190612_121639_HDR.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 500
  • 20190612_130338_HDR.jpg
    20190612_130338_HDR.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 531
Just an added note.

I don't believe these wheels are JWL certified as mentioned earlier in the thread. Yes, their catalog does mention the JWL/VIA certification but after speaking with customer service from PMC, it appears that not all rims manufactured by DAI carry this certification. Based on some initial searching, JWL testing is done in house by the manufacturers and the certification must be stamped on the front face of the wheel. There are no JWL stamping anywhere on the wheel either front or back. This wheel does however have the SAE J2530 (cast behind one of the spokes) which is another certification (North American based?) for aftermarket wheels. Not sure if there is a huge difference or even a big deal that it is not JWL certified.

Just thought i'd let you guys know. If anyone has any further information about this wheel's certifications or the wheel in general, pls share as it may help other members' purchase decisions.

Received my wheels pretty quickly, and haven't actually opened all the boxes to inspect as I won't be able to install them yet.
First set of after-market rims so I don't know what is to be expected but I thought the only one I checked looked fine. I'm not so concerned with the aesthetics as I am concerned of the rim cracking from a pothole. Really hope these can survive Toronto roads.

Trinifry or others - if you want to see these wheels on a black car but with chrome delete / painted calipers. I did a bit of editing for myself to see how it looks.

Trinifry - hope you don't mind I edited the photo of your car. I'm definitely getting these wheels, and wanted to see how it would look with a few modifications I plan on doing to my car.

Attachments

• model_3_modded2.jpg
    model_3_modded2.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 482
  • model_3_modded.jpg
    model_3_modded.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 550
Reactions: AdamMacDon