Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on buying an Auctioned Run and Drive Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking around for a MX 2022-2023 wondering if it would be a nightmare to buy something lightly damaged but for way less and to fix it myself cash out of pocket. Anybody with experience on that and if it's a pain in the ass for a Model X to get fixed by service? I'm assuming Tesla is the only place you can bring your car to fix things and I've heard that can take a while because the parts need to be ordered.

...I'm assuming Tesla is the only place you can bring your car to fix things ...
Ehh no...
Unless it's something that requires full toolbox 3

Tesla disables SC for salvage cars so you will need to pass their HV inspection to get it back. It's also needed for them to work on any HV component.

Other than that, go for it.

I'm not that rich so I'm staying away from late years but I've bought and fixed 2016 X.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
No issues with service on a salvage + rebuilt model X in my experience.
Pay for the HV inspection and Supercharge reenable from tesla. After this they’ll service it as normal without issue, sign up for appt via app and drop car off like normal. No pricing changes or anything of the like.

Any shop can align, replace suspension bits, all the typical normal car things.

Ehh no...
Unless it's something that requires full toolbox 3

Tesla disables SC for salvage cars so you will need to pass their HV inspection to get it back. It's also needed for them to work on any HV component.

Other than that, go for it.

I'm not that rich so I'm staying away from late years but I've bought and fixed 2016 X.
I was looking to purchase something that's minor from an auction with a clean title so not even a salvage with very light dmg. but this is amazing to know!

No issues with service on a salvage + rebuilt model X in my experience.
Pay for the HV inspection and Supercharge reenable from tesla. After this they’ll service it as normal without issue, sign up for appt via app and drop car off like normal. No pricing changes or anything of the like.

Any shop can align, replace suspension bits, all the typical normal car things.
Roger that!