Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on carrying a tire patch kit instead of

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know that using slime stuff is bad idea due to the sensors in the wheel. Even the Fix-A-Flat sold by Tesla says that TPMS has to be replaced if used.

And I dont want to buy a spare to carry around. I think a small patch kit is a perfect balance, it may take a while to get it patched, but if I am in the middle of nowhere thats better than nothing.

My concerns are. How the heck am I lifting a 4000 pound car in the middle of nowhere to take the tire off? If I am lucky I can find some sort of curb to get it on, but thats unlikely in the middle of the desert. Can it be patched without taking the tire off?

Another concern is if I am spending the time to plug the tire, id like it to be permanent, as it would be from a tire repair shop. So I need a good kit. Any experience using patch kits on Tesla tires?

Or should I just scrap all that and hope Tesla service and/or a Tow truck can reach me? My concern with that is Tow truck damaging the car during towing (like improperly towing). I think Teslas have to be on a flat bed?

I carry one and I’ve used it twice already. :(
You don’t need to jack the car, just find the screw hole and nudge the car to where you can access it. I even have a performance 3 so it’s 10mm lower than normal and I had no issues. You should have even less with the Y. I now have a 1” lowered suspension and still feel I can make it work.

If the puncture results in rapid deflation, odds are the picture kit won’t apply. If the picture is more than a nail, screw, etc with a slow leak, the puncture kit likely won’t apply. My first repair held for about a month then started to slowly leak, leading to my second use. I ended up replacing the tire with an eBay tire instead of doing it again. I still carry one. I feel it will cover the most common punctures but know it won’t cover them all.

I carry one and I’ve used it twice already. :(
You don’t need to jack the car, just find the screw hole and nudge the car to where you can access it. I even have a performance 3 so it’s 10mm lower than normal and I had no issues. You should have even less with the Y. I now have a 1” lowered suspension and still feel I can make it work.

If the puncture results in rapid deflation, odds are the picture kit won’t apply. If the picture is more than a nail, screw, etc with a slow leak, the puncture kit likely won’t apply. My first repair held for about a month then started to slowly leak, leading to my second use. I ended up replacing the tire with an eBay tire instead of doing it again. I still carry one. I feel it will cover the most common punctures but know it won’t cover them all.
What kit did you use for your patches?

I had two flats on my MY a week apart. One was patched for free at a local Firestone store and the other for $89 at a Tesla service center. They both now have about 6,000 miles on them with no problems. I carry a patch kit that I've not used yet and hope not too. But, there are places a tow truck can't get to.

Be prepared for different types of tire failures:

Carry a 12V inflator pump. Also carry a tire plug kit.

You can use the latest water based slime product without damaging the TPMS. Tire shops hate dealing with the slime due to the cleanup. Some tire shops refuse to repair the Tesla OE tires with the sound deadening foam liner. Independent shops are more likely to be willing to cut away the foam around the puncture to patch the tire from the inside, then glue the section of foam back in place.

For a slow leak, try and locate the object that punctured the tread of the tire, don't pull it out. Instead, pump up the tire with the inflator pump and drive to where you can have the tire repaired. You may have to stop and add air to the tire more than once to make it to the repair shop. If the tire is losing air quickly then consider using the slime type sealant such as the tire sealant that comes in the Tesla tire repair kit. (You can use the inflator pump without pumping the sealant into the tire.)

Tesla tire repair kit: Tire Repair Kit

Best portable tire inflator pumps: The Best Tire Inflators

Victor Plug & Go Tire Repair kit: https://www.amazon.com/Victor-22-5-60204-8-Plug-Tire-Repair/dp/B00CRCQFPS/
I like the Victor Plug & Go Tire Repair kit (good for a temporary repair only) because plugging a tire using a rope plug, especially a rear tire, can be difficult as you have to first ream out the puncture hole in the tire and push through the steel belt inside the tire.

You can also call Tesla Roadside Assistance; Tesla will dispatch a contracted a tow service with a flat bed to your location. Depending on the cirumstance this may take several hours. In some cases the tow service can bring you a replacement wheel and tire, change your flat tire. Then you have 3 days to have your damaged tire repaired or replaced, return the loaner wheel and tire to a Tesla Service center. Otherwise Tesla will charge your credit card for the wheel and tire.

Agree with plug kit. Used them in my business on a dozen trucks and vans, plugged flats often as we worked near new construction where nails in the driveways were common. Flats due to puncture in tread were easily and quickly fixed with the tire and wheel staying on the car. I had one plug leak, but repaired it by placing another plug in the same hole with the first plug, and it held air fine for the life of the tire.

I carry kits all the time in both my Teslas. Any slow leak can be fixed on the side of the road (or preferably in a nearby parking lot) and they last the life of the tire. With plugs, there is no need to pull the wheel, pull the tire off the wheel, or patch inside the tire. It's just not necessary. Of course, your tire guy will tell you different, because he loses a bunch of lucrative business. I figure he can just expand his services to oil and filter changes and make more money, but AGAIN, not on Teslas.

Do you have a specific kit you can recommend? Would something like this plus a 12v inflator work?
That looks like a pretty extensive piece of kit. I am using what was left over from my first inflator purchase which as a $30 wall mart tire care kit. It came with the awl, a pack of 6 "worms" and the inflator. I've gone through 2 worms so far so I'm just using what's left. It's not that complicated a procedure. The included inflator died on me but I was using it alot for other things which is why I bought the Dewalt. Since I have very little experience I'm not in a position to recommend anything, but that one certainly seems like overkill for something you hopefully never use, perhaps just use once.

Last edited:
Apologies for resurrecting an old post, but I have a question for @roblab and @jmaddr . Do you have a specific kit you can recommend? Would something like this plus a 12v inflator work? https://www.amazon.com/Boulder-Tools-Motorcycle-Trailer-Puncture/dp/B01E635PGA/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1E0I4BZ4BY9KL&keywords=tire+plug+kit&qid=1645029125&sprefix=tire+plug+ki,aps,153&sr=8-7

Thank you!
If you get a 12V inflator make sure it does not produce more amps than your model 3 12v outlet can handle.

Another tip on those 12v inflators, start them pumping BEFORE you screw it on to the tire valve. Any air pressure in the tire (assuming it isn't 100% flat) pushes on the pump and the pump can struggle to start up...and pop the 12v outlet fuse. If you start it before you attach it to the tire valve, you don't have that issue.

As an aside, for my Model S I carry a pump, tire plug kit, short bottle jack and lug wrench...oh and a full size spare in the frunk....booyah, 2013 Model S Baby!

Another tip on those 12v inflators, start them pumping BEFORE you screw it on to the tire valve. Any air pressure in the tire (assuming it isn't 100% flat) pushes on the pump and the pump can struggle to start up...and pop the 12v outlet fuse. If you start it before you attach it to the tire valve, you don't have that issue.

As an aside, for my Model S I carry a pump, tire plug kit, short bottle jack and lug wrench...oh and a full size spare in the frunk....booyah, 2013 Model S Baby!

Great advice!