Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

THOUGHTS ON FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished a very long drive during which I used FSD quite a bit. I have some thoughts. While I never fell asleep or lost concentration, I began to feel as though I needed to spend more time waiting for the prompt to move the steering wheel than on the windshield to see what was in front of me. One time the car had to disengage FSD even though I thought that I had moved the steering wheel in time. I was paying attention to drive safely rather than down on the prompt. SO, my thought is, why not have a sound to let you know the prompt is on the screen? I understand there is a sound when the prompt is in the tail end of it but sooner would be better. In my opinion, that is.

Reactions: JB47394
I understand that what some members may have issues with is not going to be the same as others - like PB, just because some don't get it doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

But, I almost never, ever even get the first nag. It might be the yoke - I keep one hand resting on my leg, with the fingers resting on one side of the yoke, and that's enough tug to keep the system happy. I don't ever get a nag unless I actually try to take my hands off the yoke. I actually recently took both hands off (safely on the highway with full attention still) just to test how long it would take - it was a lot longer than I thought it would be before I got the first nag.

Yet there are enough posts here to suggest it is a problem for others... For those with a wheel, is it possible / comfortable to just keep one hand lightly gripping the wheel on one side, so there's a constant amount of torque? Perhaps that may help?

It also makes me wonder... If the system is smart enough to punish "repeat offenders." If you had a few strikes or got nagged alot early on, does it remember, "hey, this guy has a history of not paying attention, we need to nag him more!" where someone else who better knew how to game the system and avoid nags early on, the system treats you as "more reliable" and nags less?

I've been forcibly yanking the wheel and disengaging everytime it nags when I already have my hand or hands on the wheel. I figure at least that way there will be some sort of feedback the system isn't working for me. Its pretty tiring holding exactly enough assymetric torque to stop the nags but not so much it disengages (I generally have to let go completely when its turning so it doesn't disengage) so I started just driving it normally (both hands on the wheel or one hand on the right side) and yanking the wheel when I notice a nag. Lots more disengagements and gigabytes of traffic when I get home, maybe over time it will register with them.

For those with a wheel, is it possible / comfortable to just keep one hand lightly gripping the wheel on one side, so there's a constant amount of torque? Perhaps that may help?
I grip the wheel at about 5 or 7 o'clock between thumb and the side of my index finger. When the car is maneuvering, I grip gently and let the wheel turn. That ensures that the torque sensor knows I'm there. When the car is not maneuvering, I play a game of moving the wheel back and forth a fraction of an inch. That again bumps the torque sensor. I have no idea if all steering wheels are tuned the same way.

Even though I'm applying myself to that task, I still see nags. It seems to be that even my wiggling the wheel doesn't always produce enough pressure to satisfy the sensor. Note that I don't literally wiggle it. I just push gently in one direction or the other.

I would prefer that the torque nag be removed, and that Tesla rely on the cabin camera to ensure that I'm watching the environment around me. Add an infrared light if that's what it takes, but stop distracting me all the time with those unnecessary nags. I'm not sure that a sound would work because the car is already making sounds for other things and I never know what they mean. Use your words, Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: sandman1330
I grip the wheel at about 5 or 7 o'clock between thumb and the side of my index finger. When the car is maneuvering, I grip gently and let the wheel turn. That ensures that the torque sensor knows I'm there. When the car is not maneuvering, I play a game of moving the wheel back and forth a fraction of an inch. That again bumps the torque sensor. I have no idea if all steering wheels are tuned the same way.

Even though I'm applying myself to that task, I still see nags. It seems to be that even my wiggling the wheel doesn't always produce enough pressure to satisfy the sensor. Note that I don't literally wiggle it. I just push gently in one direction or the other.

I would prefer that the torque nag be removed, and that Tesla rely on the cabin camera to ensure that I'm watching the environment around me. Add an infrared light if that's what it takes, but stop distracting me all the time with those unnecessary nags. I'm not sure that a sound would work because the car is already making sounds for other things and I never know what they mean. Use your words, Tesla.
Might be one case where the yoke is superior to a wheel then! The shape just makes it easy to keep torque on without really even having to think about it.

Reactions: JB47394