Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on my winter tire selection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I couldn't get a tire/wheel set from Tire Rack, I decided to go to plan B. I called the service center and explained that I was taking delivery of a CPO P85+, and couldn't/wouldn't consider driving home to middle NH on summer performance tires (this was before I realized it would be delivered). I explained that I understood they offered a winter wheel and tire package, but, given the roads conditions we deal with up here, I much preferred a Nordic winter tire (ie, Hakka R2's) than the performance winter tire they offer. I asked if I could bring a set of Hakka R2's in, buy wheels and sensors, and have them mounted and installed, and bring the 21's home in the trunk. The rep hesitated, I pointed out that these tires were the approved standard tire sold by Tesla in Norway. He then put me on hold to ask the service manager, who OK'ed it.

I sort of consider this a one-shot deal, because I'm getting a car in winter that normally comes with summer tires. I would not expect to bring my own tires on a regular basis and have them installed. I would buy tires from Tire Rack and have them shipped to a recommended installer, and bring in the car to them.

You could go to the SC, buy a set of wheels and TPMS and take them somewhere to have the tires mounted and installed, I suppose.

I think the SCs are much more sticklers on Tesla spec/sold wheels than tires, though it still depends a little on which SC, when you did the transaction, and how well you know them. I had a March 2013 S85 and didn't like how the Michelin all-seasons handled in the first snowfall Thanksgiving 2013. I decided on the Nokian R2s, bought them at a local chain (Direct Tire also in Watertown MA), and had Direct Tire install them on the original 19" rims with the existing TPMS sensors. The following spring I bought a set of unused 19" original rims on eBay and took them to the SC with my original tires, buying TPMS sensors and caps and paying for mounting and balancing. From that point on they just swapped them out for me every fall and spring.

I just had Direct Tire put Nokian WRG3 SUVs on my X 20" rims and am tempted to keep them on year round as they're an all-season tire with snow rating. But I may swap back to the Michelin Summer Sport next spring just to get some more miles out of them, they only have 8500 or so now (X was delivered March 30). I expect the SC would mount and balance them for me, but if not I'll go back to Direct Tire.

Hm, while a set of Pirelli Sottozero tires alone costs $1500+ from tesla installed, the winter tire+rim package costs $2500.
A set of x-ice + rims from tirerack will run 2050 and I can't get them for a few more weeks...

Thinking it might be worth it to spend an extra $500 for tesla-approved tires & stock rims (tho I would have liked grey...). Reviews of the pirelli vary wildly... some people just seem to *hate* them... but this is the internet...

Remember,
Tesla is a CALIFORNIAN company.
Their cars are optimized for California

for instance, for years Californians told Minnesotans that RWD wad just as good as AWD, and only changed their tune when they found out it improved 0-60 times.

It's also why the charging port is on the back fender, because Californians back into their spots like elderly people in the South :p

In general the people who love the Pirellis are those that live in temperate places, where the chief concern is cooler weather and not snow or ice.

You'll find a lot of Pirelli haters, but almost no haters of Hakka or IceX

I'd argue with you... but I don't think I can. I love the car, it's amazing, but their inflexibility on certain things is... frustrating.

I've seen several review aggregations that show the pirellis on par with the other major players in that area, including in thick snow, but I've seen way more data that suggest otherwise.

I'd just like to get top of the line hardware for my car without the risk of potential alignment/drivetrain issues being blamed on my choice of tires. Quite frustrating!

Go for Hakka R2 or ice x. Who cares about braking and cornering on dry roads when you are on snow tires? All the decent ice tires wear very quickly if abused.

My opinion is, you want something that suffers the least loss of grip when you hit an unexpected patch of ice (not uncommon in my area as you move from well salted highway to rural byway). Ice performance determines how rapidly you can drive on any given day.

Also, put them on at first snow and get them off as soon as possible. It's easy to burn up a set in one week on dry roads if you drive aggressively.

I encourage everyone to use full snow tires...it reduces the number of cars in my way ;)

Hey, can you send a pic of yours with those wheels? I've got white as well, I was gonna photoshop them on, but if you've already got a pic.....
20151216_091406_HDR.jpg
20151216_091427.jpg

I also got my calipers painted red recently which REALLY looks great with these rims.

• Love
Reactions: u00mem9
I'd argue with you

don't do that!

my work partner has a RWD Tesla
when he had that plus All Seasons: he couldn't get out of our parking lot if there was even a minor storm (like 3-6 inches)

He got the Pirellis. They were "fine"
not horrific. but not great.

he ditched them and went to Hakka's and now the Tesla works pretty darn well.
as well as most ICE FWD cars with winter tires.

I've heard (but not seen) that the AWD Teslas with Hakkas or Michelin IceX's work fantastically, with the only issue being their low-to-the ground position which can cause a snowplow affect in bigger snowstorms.

I get my Tesla on Wednesday
due to some snafu, I'll be on All Seasons for 1-2 weeks until my winter tires come in
If there is snow, I'll see if I can post some videos of the car on All Seasons and Winters.