Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three second gaps between dash cam videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TIppy

Jul 8, 2016
Tampa, FL
The dash cam is supposed to save 60, one minute videos in a continuous loop. The time stamps on my videos are 61 seconds apart and are only 58 seconds long. This leads to a 3 second gap between the end of one video and the beginning of the next. Someone nearly backed into me in a parking lot, and when I went to review the videos, the incident just happened to fall in the 3 second gap. If an accident had happened, I wouldn't have had a record of it.

Anyone else have these three second gaps?

I'm using a 256GB ssd drive with a 330 MB/S write speed, so I don't think it's the ssd.

What cluster size did you format to? Default is 32kb I think. Others I’ve seen have had better luck with smaller like 8kb cluster formatting
It’s possible it makes a difference in the ability of the car to write fast enough to the stick or causes this effect. just a thought.

What cluster size did you format to? Default is 32kb I think. Others I’ve seen have had better luck with smaller like 8kb cluster formatting
It’s possible it makes a difference in the ability of the car to write fast enough to the stick or causes this effect. just a thought.

Tried the 8kb cluster size, and I have the same 2 to 3 second gaps between clips. It can't be a write speed problem. This ssd can write at 330 Mb/sec. For some reason the clip sizes are often only 58 seconds long instead of 60.

Although the drive is usbc and can write at 330 MB/sec, the usb ports in the car are usb2 which are limited to about 30MB/s. The 4, 1-minute clips total about 100 MB, so it takes about 3 seconds to write this much data. It's seems the mcu isn't both capturing the next one-minute clips and writing the current ones at the same time.

The dash cam is supposed to save 60, one minute videos in a continuous loop. The time stamps on my videos are 61 seconds apart and are only 58 seconds long. This leads to a 3 second gap between the end of one video and the beginning of the next. Someone nearly backed into me in a parking lot, and when I went to review the videos, the incident just happened to fall in the 3 second gap. If an accident had happened, I wouldn't have had a record of it.

Anyone else have these three second gaps?

I'm using a 256GB ssd drive with a 330 MB/S write speed, so I don't think it's the ssd.

I noticed the same thing in my parking lot backing incident...
I was laying on the horn from the time he started backing until he pulled forward again.

Using Tesla as a dashcam is like using it for a browser. Sure the car has this listed as a feature, but it's not it's primary purpose, not a revenue source, it's not a focus for the team since they have a million and one other things Elon already sold which have have to deliver, so it's not going to be great or reliable. If you want to play games, buy a PC or a gaming console, don't buy a Tesla to play video games. If you want a reliable dashcam, buy and install a dashcam from a company which does dashcams. If you just want a dashcam feature to show your friends and don't care if it's not very reliable, then you use a Tesla for a dashcam,

My Blackvue does not have the same gap that the Tesla cam does. The Tesla system using 4 cameras has some coverage my 2 camera system doesn't. With all 6 cameras I have very good coverage.

I don't think Tesla needed to provide a dash cam system but they did and there are lots of people that depend on it now, and why wouldn't they. All they had to do was put a USB stick and they got a dash cam system.

The three second gap is likely the result of a simple software decision that should be easily changed.

Aside from the 3 second gap there are other issues that I have with it. Not using the entire partition for storage but instead only keeping a the last hour, or last trip, whichever it does now, is an unnecessary design choice.