Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Throttled SC, is that still a thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm out shopping for a pre-owned MS and lucky me there's a great supply. But as I keep searching I keep recalling conversations from the past where suddenly MS owners noticed their MAX SC speeds had been throttled, apparently because the owner had abused some SC protocol. Sucks for that owner but now I wonder what happens if someone buys a pre-owned MS and heads off to their first SC session only to discovered SC speeds are throttled. So I have four questions for the group:

1. Did that really happen
2. Does it still happen
3. If I ask Tesla will they disclose that before I buy
4. If after I buy and discover it's been throttled can I return it?

I started an online chat on the Tesla Pre-Owned site and waiting for a response, but I thought I'd seek some real-world experiences from owners.

The response may force me to buy a new Model 3 which doesn't meet my needs as much as a MS does.

Thanks in advance.
I think by now you know that indeed slower SuC for 85/70/60 batteries is a thing.

Yet you need to look at your use of SuC and decide if the slower speed is really a show stopper.

For our daily need (work commute, with additional errants, driving the kids to trainings and so on), we charge at home and on occasion I’ll stop to add some more KWh in the car at a SuC. Speed does not matter then.
We really need SuC twice a year. Once in the summer, once in the winter.
The summer trips are longer: around 1200km/750 miles and once was 1600km/1000 miles. This is the distance to get to our destination.
In the winter, at new year’s, we drive to the highest ski resort in France, which is 950km/600 miles away, and 2300m/7500 feet.

Has our SuC charge time increased? It did.
Does it mean we do not use the S for our vacation? Hell no.

The car is still amazing as a long road trip car. AP1 is great too.
And the SuC stops are very much enjoyed. We do pick the SuC with a nice restaurant/hotel for our eating breaks, or the ones with great malls where we can take time for some shopping.

Come to think of it, our travel time has actually not much increased: I recall in the early year I was pushing the family to hurry when the car was charged... but we actually were not done with our lunch or purchases! I learned to just enjoy the trip and the stops. And when we are ready, so is the car.

Bottom line: Yes SuC speed has quite decreased, not denying it. But think of your use case.
The journey has been great here for the last 5 years, and although this SuC speed is a real issue for some (understandably and genuinely), it hasn’t removed my smile each time I get to drive and head to our next vacation.

• Disagree
Reactions: InternetDude