Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Throwaway Rims for Snow Tires on M3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 2020 AWD performance and need to get some winter tires/wheels and absolutely do not care what they look like. Since these will live in the slush and may hit a curb once in a while, they just need to be round, fit, and hold air. From what I understand, 18" is the minimum size, so I've been looking at other vehicles that also use 5x114.3 wheels. A 40mm offset would be nice so they don't rub or prematurely wear out the bearings. A lot of Ford, Nissan, and Toyota cars use the same bolt circle but it's not easy finding 18" wheels. Has anyone tried this approach?

Since you have a performance, the wheel selection with 18s is VERY small that will actually fit on your car.

The performance brakes are bigger front and rear compared to standard brakes, and there is a very weird hub ring. I had a set of 18 inch VMR wheels on my non performance Tesla Model 3, and they didnt get close to fitting around the rear brakes on the performance.

I ended up with TSportline 18s and Michelin XIce Snow tires.

I agree with @804son. For throwaway 18s that fit the M3P PUP brakes I'd get the cheapest offering from Discount Tire or Tire Rack that they promise fits. Wheels they sell will almost certainly need a centering ring, which they should give you.

Last I checked none of the wheels they sell are actually spec'd for this car, rather they are probably selling you Mustang wheels, hence need for a ring. If I was paying good money for a nice set of wheels I would not settle for that, I'd want wheels made to fit my car without any rings or spacers, but for cheap wheels I think the DT and TR offerings make perfect sense. I would probably do the same if I needed winter wheels for this car.

Edit: TSportlines like @Park2670 suggested are nice, they have direct fitments made for this car, and they do nice Tesla OE-like styles, but they are relatively pricey. To me, they wouldn't be "throwaway" wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Park2670
I agree with @804son.

Edit: TSportlines like @Park2670 suggested are nice, they have direct fitments made for this car, and they do nice Tesla OE-like styles, but they are relatively pricey. To me, they wouldn't be "throwaway" wheels.
Exactly. I knew they were not cheap. I hated paying this much for winter wheels. But I wanted something that would fit without rings and I didnt have to hope they would fit.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I just bought a set from tire rack. The centering rings aren't that big of a deal for me since I can use some silicone or other removable adhesive to keep them on the rims.
You won't need Silicone or adhesive, they press in quite snug. I use a set for my winter wheels and they stay with the wheels just fine.

You won't need Silicone or adhesive, they press in quite snug. I use a set for my winter wheels and they stay with the wheels just fine.
👍 for no need with adhesive. I just mounted a new set of 18" Velox wheels (item 1407654) with the included centering rings from Costco to an M3 AWD LR. Each fit perfectly and all went on flush and centered. Hand tightened each lug finishing with only a few turns of a torque wrench to 129ft lbs. This is for for my new winter set, we'll see what happens in March when I go back to my all seasons. I expect it to just be a quick 20min change (+ relearning the set's TPMS).

Reactions: 804son
It looks like OP has already decided on a set for their winter wheels, but we would like to offer some 18" options for anyone else looking for additional information.

We would recommend, as a quality 18" winter wheel, both the Replika R241 & R263 models.
Both come in 18x8.5 5x114.3mm +40 64.1mm sizes, are lightweight Flow-Formed wheels, hub centric for the M3P and direct fit with OEM hardware.

There is also the ART Replica 171 18x8.5 +35 5x114.3 64.1mm, which is ART's take on the turbine style wheels with a slightly more aggressive offset.

These have been very popular winter-rated and daily replacement wheels for people looking for 18" wheels for their M3P.

download.jpeg
download (1).jpeg
download (4).jpeg

Reactions: Ookami
Sorry for the delay in responding - I bought these:
18x8.5 MSW Type 30 BLK MACH
and these tires:
235/45R-18 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 XL

I'll see if I can get a few pictures and post them here. I bought literally the least expensive rims without any consideration to their appearance. At the time, the rims were on sale for $145 each. I bought 4 autel TPMS sensors and programmed them to match the same ID as what is on my summer tires, so the car is oblivious when I change them out.

Sorry for the delay in responding - I bought these:
18x8.5 MSW Type 30 BLK MACH
and these tires:
235/45R-18 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 XL

I'll see if I can get a few pictures and post them here. I bought literally the least expensive rims without any consideration to their appearance. At the time, the rims were on sale for $145 each. I bought 4 autel TPMS sensors and programmed them to match the same ID as what is on my summer tires, so the car is oblivious when I change them out.
Thanks