Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint level

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Few questions about tinting a model 3

What’s a good level of tint to look good but not be absurd or make it much more difficult to see? I was thinking 35% as that’s what my buddy has on his S5

Also, is it needed to tint the roof? Should I?

It really depends on what your reasons for tinting are. If you are concerned about privacy, then you need to choose a darker tint. If you don't care about privacy and are mainly concerned about heat rejection, the best ceramic tints on the market have great heat-rejecting properties even at lighter tint percentages. I personally did not want to darken my white interior and I did not want to have any issues seeing at night, so I chose 55% Xpel Prime XR Plus all around.

If you want the tint to help keep the cabin cooler, then yes, you do want to tint the entire rear window. My tint installer would not tint the smaller roof window directly above the driver. He said Tesla told him that the small roof window might crack. But I have a 2018 model, so maybe that no longer applies to more recent versions of the car.

Here is a great video on Youtube that demonstrates the tint levels:

20% all around except front. With white seats you can still see inside easily.
BCBB5886-638F-45C9-BB0D-ED768BDE9A7F.jpeg
01A2BA23-E5A5-4CAA-9B16-47B3580D9BEE.jpeg

This is 30% with my Model 3. White seats do not make it that dark. You can still see through it and it will also help prevent heat.

View attachment 768661
Here is another picture

View attachment 768664View attachment 768665

Here is my Model Y, which I went with 20%. I have black seats in the Model Y.
View attachment 768663
I like the 20% a lot. 30 compared with 20 seems to make a lot of difference. My goal is to improve appearance, not impair visibility significantly, and not increase getting pulled over. I had pretty dark tint on my mustang in my 20s and I’d get pulled over constantly.

Reactions: BMWM3Man
I like the 20% a lot. 30 compared with 20 seems to make a lot of difference. My goal is to improve appearance, not impair visibility significantly, and not increase getting pulled over. I had pretty dark tint on my mustang in my 20s and I’d get pulled over constantly.
Indeed. Just note though, that white seats make a huge difference. Sometimes I think I should’ve gone darker but I’m fine with the Model 3.

I also went 70% on the windshields, which helps with the heat. I’m in SoCal, so it gets toasty here in the summers.

Also, I wouldn’t worry too much about getting pulled over. Most cops do not pull people over for merely tints. They just tack it on if you’re speeding or doing something reckless.

I’m in the same boat as you. Didn’t want to impair visibility and was worried about getting pulled over. I always used 35 with all my cars except this one because of the white seats.

Legal limit in MD is 35. I like the 20 a lot. It does get darker at night compared to 35 but with this car I use the side view cameras more to change lanes than I do with the mirrors. It took some getting use to but I now trust it.

I did turn off auto dimming mirrors to help see better at night.

It really depends on what your reasons for tinting are. If you are concerned about privacy, then you need to choose a darker tint. If you don't care about privacy and are mainly concerned about heat rejection, the best ceramic tints on the market have great heat-rejecting properties even at lighter tint percentages. I personally did not want to darken my white interior and I did not want to have any issues seeing at night, so I chose 55% Xpel Prime XR Plus all around.

If you want the tint to help keep the cabin cooler, then yes, you do want to tint the entire rear window. My tint installer would not tint the smaller roof window directly above the driver. He said Tesla told him that the small roof window might crack. But I have a 2018 model, so maybe that no longer applies to more recent versions of the car.

Here is a great video on Youtube that demonstrates the tint levels:

Privacy is not a reason to tint the front windows. Its important for cyclists, pedestrians etc to look inside to be able to tell your acknowledgement of their presence

Reactions: southbay3
Second thought, I realized after I got hte car the roof and rear windshield have tint on them already. And it's pretty dark. I'd like to try to just tint the side windows to match the level of the tint of the roof. Can anybody more familiar with tint levels give me an estimate on the % to get on the side windows to match the main roof segment?
Thanks!