Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for getting used to regen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put her on creep with standard regen. Once she is used to that, you could try to switch her over, but I think you should keep creep on. Without creep it is easy for older people to mistakenly press the wrong pedal when parking. One pedal hold mode is also very tiring for right glute muscles as you have to keep applying pressure even when the car is going.

And how often does a regular person not racing need to change rotors? This argument is ridiculous.

It's not
ridiculous when it is one of MANY points in favor of the base argument. I've had four cars that I've put over 200,000 miles on and I have had to replace rotors on each one and had many brake jobs done. The purpose of the brakes argument is to provide ADDITIONAL support to the advantage of regen - not the sole reason.

Reactions: beachmiles
OP, its likely your mom drives by "pulsing" the accelerator pedal. many people do this and dont realize they do it. My wife drives the same way. "Puush... fully release..... puushh... fully release". If you listen to them drive an ICE vehicle you will hear the engine Rev..... stop.... Rev.... Stop......Rev.... stop" constantly.

I never drove that way to begin with, so it was easy for me to transition to the model 3. My wife cant get used to my model 3 because she drives this way (she doesnt drive it often).

I set regen to low and creep mode to on, for her under her profile. If she drove the car all the time, she would unlearn her "pulse" driving technique, but because she doesnt (and as @cucubits says its not that big of a deal, energy saving wise, for us), Its much easier for her to just feel comfortable driving it than me trying to "convert" her.

There is no need for OP to "convert" his mom to this. She will either come around to wanting to do it, or not, but it has to be on her own terms not because someone else is pushing it on her.

OP, its likely your mom drives by "pulsing" the accelerator pedal. many people do this and dont realize they do it. My wife drives the same way. "Puush... fully release..... puushh... fully release". If you listen to them drive an ICE vehicle you will hear the engine Rev..... stop.... Rev.... Stop......Rev.... stop" constantly.

My grandmother drove that way and one of my kids does. Drives me NUTS!

There is no need for OP to "convert" his mom to this. She will either come around to wanting to do it, or not, but it has to be on her own terms not because someone else is pushing it on her.

exactly. The paltry savings of electricity and brake pads will be greatly offset by pedal misapplication and driving through a store front.

x2 for low regen and creep on. Make the transition as easy as possible. Telling people to just get used to it because it’s better in your own opinion is futile.