Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire alternatives for the 19"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually think the stock Continentals that came on my 19" sport tires were quite good, I replaced them at about 19k miles and they had plenty of tread left so I sold them to a TMC member for $350.

I wanted to go wider and chose the Continental DWS06 in a 255/40/19 and the difference is night and day, WAY better handling with the wider tire and higher load range, more comfortable ride and better wheel protection with the larger sidewall, speedo reads spot on instead of a little fast, only drawback is at 19k miles I was at 248 wh/mi and the new tires with 14k miles on them are at 267 wh/mi or about a 7 to 8% range hit.

Your wh/mi is reading ~2.3% more because the diameter of the new tires so the range hit isn't quite as bad.

Reactions: gilscales
I actually think the stock Continentals that came on my 19" sport tires were quite good, I replaced them at about 19k miles and they had plenty of tread left so I sold them to a TMC member for $350.

I wanted to go wider and chose the Continental DWS06 in a 255/40/19 and the difference is night and day, WAY better handling with the wider tire and higher load range, more comfortable ride and better wheel protection with the larger sidewall, speedo reads spot on instead of a little fast, only drawback is at 19k miles I was at 248 wh/mi and the new tires with 14k miles on them are at 267 wh/mi or about a 7 to 8% range hit.
Have you noticed any wheel well clearance issues with the wider tires? Any rubbing or things of that nature?

I’m thinking about getting the Michelin Pilot sports 245/40R19 to replace my stock conti’s.

two questions
1) how much range should I expect to lose
2). Will the pewag RS77 chains( the ones Tesla sells for 19” rims) still have enough clearance(I do see that they fit this tire size)

thanks

I intend to get a set of Goodyear Assurance Maxlife tires.

BTW, be warned that a lot of online tire checker don't list valid tire options for your vehicle. These tires don't show up even though they have the same ratings as the stock continentals for speed and weight.

Thanks for the feedback. I love these tires and plan on getting them when my stockers run out, probably in the spring as they have 27k on them now.

I plan on going with the 245/40's as the revs / mile are near identical to the stock 235/40's that come with the car (778 vs. 787 for stock). Plus I don't want to go too much wider and lose range. I wonder how much is the compound and how much is the width. I'm guessing the width is more significant as aero drag increases with the square of speed. Doubt rolling resistance is the same but could be wrong.

I’m thinking about getting the Michelin Pilot sports 245/40R19 to replace my stock conti’s.

two questions
2). Will the pewag RS77 chains( the ones Tesla sells for 19” rims) still have enough clearance(I do see that they fit this tire size)

thanks

What Pilot Sports? There are a lot of tires called Pilot Sport. AS/3 all season? S4 Summers?

What Pilot Sports? There are a lot of tires called Pilot Sport. AS/3 all season? S4 Summers?
AS/3+ all season

Revised:

I’m thinking about getting the Michelin Pilot sports 245/40R19 A/S 3+ to replace my stock conti’s.

two questions

AS/3+ all season

Revised:

I’m thinking about getting the Michelin Pilot sports 245/40R19 A/S 3+ to replace my stock conti’s.

two questions

Curious about this as well. Thinking of upgrading to 245/40R19 with P4S