Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire noise amplified by aluminum chassis?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Model S, but something I've been curious about even before I received my car... is the sound of the tires actually made worse by the aluminum chassis? I first noticed this while watching many of the first-drive videos. There is a particular acoustic note heard inside the car when it goes down the road. While the Model S is very quiet overall, the car seems to have a different ambient sound than a steel chassis sedan (minus any engine noise, of course). I wonder if the aluminum chassis has anything to do with this, and could Tesla potentially take further steps to deaden it. I'm a former audio engineer, so I tend to be hyper-aware of these things.

I do an awful lot of freeway driving at constant speed, usually with Cruise on. My Model S is definitely no quieter than my previous Cadillac CTS was in those conditions. Sometimes I think it may even be a bit louder, and I attribute it all to tire noise. There is very little wind noise (in either car) and the Caddy's engine was indiscernible unless I put my foot into it. Whether this has anything to do with aluminum vs. steel I couldn't say.

No question that tires are where the noise starts, but how that noise gets transmitted through the suspension and frame is another story. Sound is easily transmitted when there's a physical connection—in this case: tire to wheel to suspension to frame. The aluminum frame, with its low density, would be less likely to attenuate noise and vibration than would steel. To a degree, the battery pack may help add some density. Another factor is the acoustic resonance of the interior. Every space has a particular resonance, and if the frequency of the tire noise happens to coincide with the interior resonance, the noise will be amplified.