Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure for daily driving on 21" Uberturbines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have the MYP with 21" Ubertubines (staggered set) with the Hankook Ion tires and even though on the door jam it says 42psi (front and back).

I have seen various posts around tire pressure but I am curious as to what tire pressure (Cold) does everyone ultimately use? Some say 40psi is a good balance, I've see some say 39psi and others 42psi (I've even seen as high as 45psi - with caution on hot days) and in the winter, there may be a 1 - 2 psi variance.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Like the thread about using spacers for a "flush" look, everyone is different and can vary on opinions on what is the "best" PSI to use, and why.

When I have my 21s on (I switch back and forth occasionally), I use 45 PSI, which is actually a holdover from my previous vehicles where setting it to 3-5 PSI higher than the factory recommended setting was more stable and comfortable.

Right now, I'm using aftermarket 19s, though I think I need to set them higher. These tires flex too much in turns that make it feel like I'm slipping or "wobbling" mid turn, which is similar to why I increased the PSI on my previous cars. But its also possible that rather than PSI, I got wheels that were too narrow for the tires (255/45/19 on 19x8).

So the question is, what is it you're looking for? Lowering it (to a point) can help with comfort. Raising it (again, to a point) can help with performance and/or efficiency.

Your best bet is to start at recommended, see how it feels for a bit for reference, then give 1, 2 or even 3 PSI higher and then lower a try to see how it feels. Any more than 3 PSI lower will likely trigger the TPMS and probably isn't safe. Any more than 3 higher is probably gonna "round" the tire from over-inflation and also isn't a good idea or safe. You either like one of the changes or you don't. If you don't like either change or can't tell, just stick to the recommended PSI for simplicity.

Reactions: Quicksvlr
Upvote 0
Like the thread about using spacers for a "flush" look, everyone is different and can vary on opinions on what is the "best" PSI to use, and why.

When I have my 21s on (I switch back and forth occasionally), I use 45 PSI, which is actually a holdover from my previous vehicles where setting it to 3-5 PSI higher than the factory recommended setting was more stable and comfortable.

Right now, I'm using aftermarket 19s, though I think I need to set them higher. These tires flex too much in turns that make it feel like I'm slipping or "wobbling" mid turn, which is similar to why I increased the PSI on my previous cars. But its also possible that rather than PSI, I got wheels that were too narrow for the tires (255/45/19 on 19x8).

So the question is, what is it you're looking for? Lowering it (to a point) can help with comfort. Raising it (again, to a point) can help with performance and/or efficiency.

Your best bet is to start at recommended, see how it feels for a bit for reference, then give 1, 2 or even 3 PSI higher and then lower a try to see how it feels. Any more than 3 PSI lower will likely trigger the TPMS and probably isn't safe. Any more than 3 higher is probably gonna "round" the tire from over-inflation and also isn't a good idea or safe. You either like one of the changes or you don't. If you don't like either change or can't tell, just stick to the recommended PSI for simplicity.
Thank you @Goobers, i set it to 42psi and lets see what happens. Oddly enough this morning the car read 45psi (before I even drove it) but it was 42psi after I added more air yesterday (also before the first drive of the day). Potential the heat of the garage affected thing?

Upvote 0
Thank you @Goobers, i set it to 42psi and lets see what happens. Oddly enough this morning the car read 45psi (before I even drove it) but it was 42psi after I added more air yesterday (also before the first drive of the day). Potential the heat of the garage affected thing?
Yup.

Similarly, the colder it is, the lower the PSI will be. So, something to keep an eye out for in case of large temperature swings.

Reactions: Quicksvlr
Upvote 0