Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Pressure Monitors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With winter coming I am buying a new set of wheels so that I can out snow tires on the car. Looking at a few places and it seems TireRack.com has the best selection. So I was planning to buy the wheels there and then get the tires themselves from the same tire place that has always done mine. So I got a quote this morning and the gentleman asked me if Tesla used a special Tire Pressure Monitor and how he goes about linking the monitor on the new wheels to the car.

Anyone have any ideas?
Does Tesla use a standard TPMS sensor?
How does one link the sensor to the cars radio receiver to receive the pressure signals?

under settings there are options for a full factory reset and other. One of the others is for the TPS. I did it when swapping from 21s to 19s. Just make sure you have the right generation (classic S - no individual readouts - had to make sure I used the older sensors).

under settings there are options for a full factory reset and other. One of the others is for the TPS. I did it when swapping from 21s to 19s. Just make sure you have the right generation (classic S - no individual readouts - had to make sure I used the older sensors).

Thanks, after a little more searching I found the big button that says "Tire sensors" on the settings tab....I must just be blind.

Tesla changed TPMS systems from Balun to Continental somewhere around Model S VIN 50,000 (sometime in 2014 production). The newer style have the ability to display the individual tire pressures in the vehicle whereas the old style do not.

You just need to make sure you get the correct sensors for your vehicle.

I have a 2013 P85 and have the light tire pressure system needs service, tried to reset through settings but got a message that reset could not be performed. What do you all recommend to get this fixed? Is it a sensor or the system? Any way of not going to Tesla since I am outside of warranty?

I have a 2013 P85 and have the light tire pressure system needs service, tried to reset through settings but got a message that reset could not be performed. What do you all recommend to get this fixed? Is it a sensor or the system? Any way of not going to Tesla since I am outside of warranty?

Did you reset when you were sitting in the vehicle and then started to drive? I believe that it won't start the calibration process until you are actually moving.

Reactions: Togg
Per @Nola make sure you have the correct tire sensors.

I had a 2013 Tesla S, and snow tires rims and tire pressure monitoring system from tire rack.

I then traded in for a 2016 S, and just put my snows and rims on, and got a tire pressure monitoring system error message. The old sensors are not compatible with the new sensor system in the newer model S. The only solution was to buy a completely new set of sensors for $200 from Tesla, now I have to have the old sensors taken off the tires and the new ones are installed. Total cost $300.

Not particularly happy about this-I was hoping that the old sensors would be backwards compatible with the new tire pressure monitor system. Bottom line, make sure you're buying the correct tire pressure sensors from tirerack - Which depends on the Vin number of your tesla