TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tire Pressure Warning Sign Cutoff

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by TTony, Sep 6, 2016.

1. TTony

TTony New Member

How can you turn off the tire pressure warning sign at the bottom of the dash? My tires are fine and the pressures all register. Can the company do it remotely?

2. Three60guy

Three60guy Member

I'm curious why you ask. Because yesterday, for the first time, the dash showed an alert saying all of my tires suddenly were low in tire pressure. Did you get the same thing?

Edit: And in checking them today, the tire pressure monitoring system worked fine.

3. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

Tesla recently sent an update to the TPMS apparently adjusting the thresholds. Maybe this is why people suddenly got warnings. Check your pressures! If you have a newer car (> VIN 50000) it will show you the pressures the system thinks each wheel is at.

• Informative x 1
  4. will7

will7 Member

Anyone know what's the TPMS PSI setting? I got the warning Monday morning but went away when the PSI hit 40+

5. Ingineer

Next time I look at the logs, I'll let everyone know what the thresholds are. 40 sounds reasonable. I usually run at least 45 on my 19's. I think the nameplate says 42.

6. chillaban

chillaban Member

I could've sworn on my refresh MS, the doorplate said 45. I definitely get warnings at 38. First time that happened it scared the crap out of me. The TPMS warnings suffer from a usability issue where if you just started the car, it will say "Check left rear tire" and then show the pressure as "--". That kind of reading makes it sound like the tire's completely flat, when in reality it's because the TPMS on that tire has not fully initialized yet, and after you drive a block it might show a more reasonable number.

7. Ingineer

Yeah, I guess it's either that or show the last known reading which may now be wrong especially if there's a leak. The TPMS sensors go to sleep when the wheels stop moving in order to prolong their battery life. Then once they wake up after you drive a little while they begin broadcasting the pressure/temperature of each wheel. They are not 2-way, so they just keep sending every so often.

If they detect a rapid air change, then they go into a rapid broadcast mode for a short time.

• Informative x 1
  8. chillaban

chillaban Member

Yeah, it's either expand the UI to show "loading" or a spinner, or delay a non-rapid TPMS alert until the tires have warmed up, etc etc etc.

But hey, they pay me to be an engineer, not an HI/UX designer :D

9. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

Don't know if you adjusted the pressure? but when I had a tire-puncture plugged recently the warning was remained on; having doubled checked the pressure and then looked in the manual (which said something like "Driving for as much as 10 miles may be required before the warning will cancel") I set off, and shortly after that the warning did indeed clear.

10. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Perhaps once the leak was fixed you should have reset the sensors in settings. Easy to do.

11. Ingineer

The older TPMS system (Baoling) found on the Mid 2014 and older cars was buggy and also doesn't support the showing of the pressures on the IC. On that system you might have to perform a reset as others have mentioned.

12. SoccerMan94043

I just had a flat and, once plugged, reset the sensors which fixed the warning.

For 19" refreshed models, it should be 45 psi.

13. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

Didn't know that was an option, thanks.

If I filled the tires with air to the wrong pressure, and then reset the sensors, is that a potential issue? (Such that driving for a few miles until the sensor alert cancels might be a better double-check)