TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tire Rack AD07 set of 4 for $600 shipped!!

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by PokerBroker, Feb 17, 2015.

1. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

I posted this in the 1.5 tire thread but thought others might want a headsup... the current price on Tire Rack for AD07s is amazing!!

tirerack.png

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Wow. Thanks for posting.

3. shrink

shrink Member

Prices have been low on the AD07's for a while - at least since 10/2014. That's when I had my wheels powder coated. I put new tires on at the time as well and I remember Tesla wanted a little over $300/tire installed. Tire Rack was charging about $640 to ship a new set to Phoenix. My shop ordered and installed a new set for $700 total (+ the powder coating).

Regardless, it's a great price. I don't know if these are on clearance or what, but if anyone needs tires, it's a good time time to buy. I should have shared the news back in 10/2014 like PokerBroker just did. My apologies, I was too caught up in my powder coating :)

4. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

I was considering trying to stretch my current tires until the 3.0 tire announcement was made but at this price it's a no brainer. I had them shipped to my local SC and they are mounting/balancing for me while they are sorting out a battery error issue.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#5 ecarfan, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    Me too. Having new AD07 rears put on right now at my local tire shop. Fronts are okay. Maybe in about 10 months I will likely be ready for new tires all around and will switch to the new 3.0 tires.

I love having new shoes.
    a4cfdf1e07fa421ecce966e20039a813.jpg

6. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Be careful when and where you have them shipped this time of year. If they drop below 14 deg F they can be permanently damaged. TW's warehouses are climate controlled but the shipping often exposes them to cold. Around here UPS delivers the tires outside so if you're not home they might get ruined. It's been -20F two nights in a row and hasn't been above 14 for several days.

7. Panicopticon

Panicopticon Member

Well crap. That's a bit of an issue when you store the car for the winter in an unheated garage. Any thoughts on what the risks are? Delamination?

8. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

They crack. If you store your car for the winter you have to take them off and put them somewhere warm.

9. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

UPS is delivering mine directly to the Tesla SC on Thursday, I shouldn't have any issues with mine.

10. dsm363

Are they likely to pop back up in price? I have AD08s on but have a few thousand more miles to go. Guess going back to all AD07s would work fine and could store them in the house.

Considering the AD08s in both front and rear sizes are a total of $1,300 I think the AD07s are the way to go.
    YOKOHAMA® ADVAN NEOVA AD08 Tires Summer Performance Tire for Car

11. asgard

asgard Member

I didn't think AD08s came in the 175/55R16 size?
    I just changed my tires and went with the AD07/AD08 split. TireRack had the rear AD08 for $314 for the pair and the front AD07 for $248.
    Shipping was $32.

12. dsm363

That site says they have proper size in stock for fronts too in AD08 but haven't bought them yet. Not sure if worth extra money over AD07s at this price.

13. candersoh

candersoh Member

Thanks for posting this! HUGE help. placed my order!

14. Timothy

Timothy Driving on Sunshine

So far this winter my weather monitor shows a low of 41 degrees. Are my tires OK in this frigid weather? I have had to have my top up one week total this winter. :tongue:

On the other hand, our reservoir for the community is only 20% full and there is not enough water to wash the car. Can't have everything!

Maybe someone in Boston can send us some of their precipitation!

15. bart513

bart513 Member

Buy waterless car wash. It's great and you save water regardless of the reservoir level.

16. m0rph

m0rph Member

Seriously? I hope not, unless you like swirl marks. :)
    My advise is, don't wash it until you can do it properly. I'd rather drive around like below than scratch my paint!

WP_20150122_001.jpg

This thread was about tires, right? :D

17. bart513

bart513 Member

Sorry to disagree but I have never had a problem with the Griot's Garage Spray Wash. It has a good lubricant and I make sure to change the microfiber towels frequently when really dirty. Perhaps others have and I'm open to hearing about it:) It is hard to wash the car with this COLD and FRIGID weather for sure.

18. slcasner

slcasner Member

I use Spray Wash, too, after having been admonished to do so by the very persnickety detailer who buffed out the swirl marks. No mater what method you use, the key is in a very light touch so that you don't scratch the paint with the dust. Using the Spray Wash allows working on a small area at a time and seeing clearly what you are doing. Rotating to a new surface of the microfiber towel frequently is important, too. Sorry for stretching the OT further.

19. Vip

Vip Member

Going to purchase my first set of tires for the car. Was going to purchase the set of tires the OP recommended. Any other tires I should consider?
    Thanks

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

There is a pinned topic in this forum containing an extensive discussion about Roadster tire choices. Please see that topic at 2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread and then post there, as this topic is about the AD07 Tire Rack price.