Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have any of you had problems going to a non-Tesla dealer for a rotation?

Is there something special I need to make sure of before going to a non-Tesla place?

Or-do any of you think its worth the Tesla price?

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

If you have a model 3, bring four hockey pucks and some double sided foam tape as jack pads in case they don’t have them.

If you have an S or X, bring four pieces of wood 2.5 x 5.5 inches and double sided foam tape.

Without some kind of jack pad, which the shop may have, your battery shield gets gnarled up. I use some scrap wood and change into my winter wheels in the driveway. The wheels are attached just like every other car, but the jack pad thing is a pain in the buttt.

rotation isn't worth the bother. especially if you swamp winter and summer/All-Season tires as most people should.

BMW says to not rotate my tires, but the tire manufacturere says different. Who should I believe?
Good points in that article. Another reason BMW might advise against it is because they would have to foot the bill themselves per their included maintenance for 3/36K...

I think it all comes down to how much everything costs/whether you have the tools to DIY. Spending ~$50-$125 to rotate inexpensive $125/ tires might not be worth it. Spending that much to rotate expensive $300-$400 run flats might be.

I say get your own gear and DIY. No appoiintments, lines, wait times and you don't have to haul the sets to and from the shop. No 'oops' marks on your car/or wheels. Lug nuts are properly torqued, etc.

have any of you had problems going to a non-Tesla dealer for a rotation?

Is there something special I need to make sure of before going to a non-Tesla place?

Or-do any of you think its worth the Tesla price?

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

Check with a few of your local companies, ask if the know what needs to be done to rotate a Tesla. If you get any other answer besides, yes, we've done a lot, then move on.

We went to a few places, ran upon one in which the response was "Sure, I've got an S"

I paid $30 at Larkin Brother Tires (SF) https://larkinsbrostire.com/ and was in/out w/in 20 minutes. They have been in biz for 50 years, family owned & operated. Or you can go with a Tesla service center but the $50 difference in pricing is to be used for capital to pay for Tesla infrastructure. Either way you go, the outcome is the same. If you're feeling altruistic - go w/Tesla.

I performed my own tire rotation yesterday, utilizing my old Craftsman floor jack, mini ramps to get the chassis high enough to get the jack and jack pad under the car, and a few simple tools but nesessary tools. Took about an hour, but it cost me nothing extra! Plus it gave me the opportunity to look at the suspension set up in case I go with coilovers route or something else later in the future.

Reactions: KenC