Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire shop damaged wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I got my new MYP end of April, when I took it next day the inspection shop damaged a wheel. Took a while but finally got them to order a new wheel and replace. They put it on yesterday and I’m noticing the color is off a bit from the others. Is that possible? The new one looks more dark grey compared to the other ones which are more of a medium grey. The car has about 600 miles on it.

Did the other 3 rims lighten up a bit from sun exposure or did Tesla change the color on some batches?
IMG_8012.jpeg
IMG_8013.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s a bit hard to tell from those pictures. At best you’d need to take the mismatching wheel off the car and put it next to one of the others, otherwise it could be just lighting or whatever.

But if the wheel is really different then the others, I’d recommend to take that up to the shop and have them take a look at it.

Reactions: PA_EV_New
When you say took it next day for inspection why and was it a regular shop or Tesla? If it was a regular shop then yes they probably purchased the cheapest wheel they could find as a fix and it's not matching. It might even be a repaired wheel. They repair bends and scrapes then paint them. There are tons of repaired wheels in the 21in because they bend easy.

Intially the shop wanted to repair my wheel, then it changed to them ordering a wheel and having it refinished. Before I saw it, I got a call letting me know it didn’t turn out great and they ordered me an original Tesla wheel. Next week when the manager is in, I’m going to ask to see the proof of it being ordered directly from Tesla. I don’t drive it much as of yet since I have an overlapping lease and maybe it’s the light and me being critical. I’ll see how things look in a few days. Odd thing is that when I look back at photos of my car the day I got in April and also after it was tinted the wheels look darker than they are now

I got my new MYP end of April, when I took it next day the inspection shop damaged a wheel.

What kind of damage was made ? Did you took pictures befoe and after visiting the shop?

One of my wheels get damage at a boy shop. It must have been done when using
an air impact wrenche bolting tool, as there was a big scatch on one arch near the lugs area.
The body shop sent the wheel to a tire shop to get the wheel repainted.

It was either refinished, they bought a refinished wheel, or Tesla changed the paint color. If they got it from Tesla, not much you can do. But looking for proof that they actually got a genuine wheel is a good first step.

Last I checked these wheels were $700-800 each new from Tesla, so my guess is they sent yours to a refinisher. Did you ever get your original wheel back?? What happened to it? Tesla doesn't ask for a core.