Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire size options for 20" Induction Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Want to put a larger rear tire on my 20 inch induction wheel. Has anyone experienced a 265/40 20 or a 265/45 20 tire on the rear ? I am interested installing a 45 or 50 series tire that will increase the tires sidewall and with a larger size then the stock 40 series, as a 45 series will not only look good but provide more rim protection from curb rash and be a more comfortable ride quality. Also has anyone put a larger tire on the front also on a 20 inch induction wheel? thank Bruno

Want to put a larger rear tire on my 20 inch induction wheel. Has anyone experienced a 265/40 20 or a 265/45 20 tire on the rear ? I am interested installing a 45 or 50 series tire that will increase the tires sidewall and with a larger size then the stock 40 series, as a 45 series will not only look good but provide more rim protection from curb rash and be a more comfortable ride quality. Also has anyone put a larger tire on the front also on a 20 inch induction wheel? thank Bruno
How did you do?

Does the ride quality improve a lot? I am thinking of swapping out the stock 255/40r20 and put in the 255/45r20.
I think so. I installed DWS-06+ in 255/45-20. Even the wife noticed the difference. It absorbs road imperfections better than the OEM goodyears... This particular tire also seemed noticeably quieter too, despite not having foam. Granted, I'm not sure if the ride quality improvement is from the size difference, or the DWS tire itself... Either way, the tire definitely looks way better than the OEM size.

Reactions: JonB65 and Daekwan
I think so. I installed DWS-06+ in 255/45-20. Even the wife noticed the difference. It absorbs road imperfections better than the OEM goodyears... This particular tire also seemed noticeably quieter too, despite not having foam. Granted, I'm not sure if the ride quality improvement is from the size difference, or the DWS tire itself... Either way, the tire definitely looks way better than the OEM size.
Thank you @avs007. I am thinking of getting that same tire as well.

Thank you @avs007. I am thinking of getting that same tire as well.
It's a great tire. The wet traction is significantly better than the Goodyear's. The Goodyear's were very easy for the rear to step out in the twisty roads by our house when wet. The DWS seem way more sure-footed. On the plus side, I haven't noticed any difference in efficiency on my road trips to Canada and California. If there were any differences, it wasn't noticeable as I went to the same chargers and had similar states of charge when I went to the same chargers using the two tires.

Reactions: Daekwan
It's really not going to protect any better for curb rash. If you don't want curb rash, don't touch curbs with your tires/wheels. The force of a car will push over the sidewall and let the wheel contact the concrete with no hesitation.
Conti DWS are one of the most comfortable, soft performance A/S tires out there. You would have noticed a difference even if you stuck with 255/40-20.

Yes was also wondering if you could take a picture of them on the car?
You'll have to excuse how dirty my car is, lol, it's been pretty rainy...

Attachments

• PXL_20230108_211435170.jpg
    PXL_20230108_211435170.jpg
    700.9 KB · Views: 727
  • PXL_20230108_211440227.jpg
    PXL_20230108_211440227.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 556
Reactions: bobbyjae
Has efficiency been hindered stepping up in size? probably not much huh? TY
Honestly I don't see any difference. I drove to Canada several times, as well as California. I made all these road trips on the stock Goodyear's as well as the DWS. Even with the upsized dws, I hit all the same SC, and had about the same state of charge. I even made these trips in both winter and summer.

Navigation estimated arrival SoC was also still spot on.

Honestly I don't see any difference. I drove to Canada several times, as well as California. I made all these road trips on the stock Goodyear's as well as the DWS. Even with the upsized dws, I hit all the same SC, and had about the same state of charge. I even made these trips in both winter and summer.

Navigation estimated arrival SoC was also still spot on.
Salesman, lol, making me want to jump up a size now when i get a new set of tires soon. Thanks for the feedback, very nice of you!

265/40/20
Mmmmm BEEFY!!

I love that look. Can you post more pictures of your car. Any pros or cons to running this tire? I want the AS4's.. and trying to figure out which size to get. Stock 255/40.. or 255/45 for extra comfort.. or 265/40 for extra wheel protection & comfort. Seems the only drawback to going bigger.. is small hits to efficiency and speedometer.

Mmmmm BEEFY!!

I love that look. Can you post more pictures of your car. Any pros or cons to running this tire? I want the AS4's.. and trying to figure out which size to get. Stock 255/40.. or 255/45 for extra comfort.. or 265/40 for extra wheel protection & comfort. Seems the only drawback to going bigger.. is small hits to efficiency and speedometer.
Any potential for rubbing the wheel with any of these sizes? Also, I have heard that larger versions of some tires (CC2s) lose handling at high speeds.