Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire wear - mileage in HK on OEM wheel/tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks; that's actually better than I thought on the 21", my current car burned through a set of Pirellis less than 12,000kms. I'm a bit OCD in trying to find the tires that lasts longest lol
Will see how the 21" Michelin do when they arrive.... Am wondering if the store in HK can do a swap to a 19" with credit back on the 21" option....

Titus, Get these for the wheels: AlloyGators. I can't tell you how many times they have saved my wheels. Just today some idiot bicyclist cut right in front of me when I had right of way and I had to clip the corner of a curb with both right wheels. Without them, both wheels would have be toast. Not a mark anywhere (except on the poor Gators) They are cheap and worth every single penny. They come out of the UK. They are the toughest I have found and they look pretty good too! Several colours from which to choose.
Alloygator close up (1).jpg
Alloygators 2.jpg

Yea I heard that too; the part where the 2 ends comes together needs to be perfect otherwise it's the part that will fail and start peeling off

I heard these are not easy to install. Did you do it yourself or did some garage do it for you?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, will check them out!

Titus, Get these for the wheels: AlloyGators. I can't tell you how many times they have saved my wheels. Just today some idiot bicyclist cut right in front of me when I had right of way and I had to clip the corner of a curb with both right wheels. Without them, both wheels would have be toast. Not a mark anywhere (except on the poor Gators) They are cheap and worth every single penny. They come out of the UK. They are the toughest I have found and they look pretty good too! Several colours from which to choose.
View attachment 95319View attachment 95320

I did it myself. A total PIA to install. Instructions are OK, but not great for the newly initiated. But once you understand the product, it does make sense. When they get yanked out due to hitting something, it's another PIA. I need to deflate the tires completely, slather them in soapy water to lubricate the tire and gator, and then bang the heck out of the gator with a mallet to get it back in. They actually wrap around the rim on both sides very tightly. Hence the superior protection. I have seen other, much easier to install options that I actually think look better. But in every instance where I have had a problem, it has been more severe than I think the other options would be able to protect the rim. So, even with the hassle of doing all of the above, I think they have been well worth the trouble. Otherwise I would have spent at least $1,000USD for repairs. These only cost about $75USD, delivered from the UK. All I had to invest was time and muscle.

I heard these are not easy to install. Did you do it yourself or did some garage do it for you?

- - - Updated - - -

I have had no peeling at all. There is a cap that covers the joint. It's not the most attractive to me. But probably not worse than the others I have seen. I just did another post in this thread on dealing with them. They can be a challenge. But I think they are worth it. I will tell you, the 21's take a real commitment if you want to keep them safe and pristine. I have had my doubts about my decision to get them. But I absolutely love the look and that seems to keep me sticking with them. They just look so much better than a MS with 19's, IMO.

Yea I heard that too; the part where the 2 ends comes together needs to be perfect otherwise it's the part that will fail and start peeling off

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, will check them out!

Last edited: