Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires are Already Bald After 14523 Miles in Less Than 2 Years and? Is this Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Foam is about as an effective marketing tool as filling tires with nitrogen (stupid pill marketing). Stay away from anything with CONTINENTAL on it. Guaranteed blowouts and low mileage. I took my Model X in for service at 1,250 miles and my Continentals read 7. Can you believe 7. They must have a special worn tire for those of us paying $100K for our cars. Fool me once.............

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/pirelli-scorpion-verde-a-s-plus#

Had them on my 2016 Model X. Great grip, great ride, quiet, sold the care with 52,234 miles on the tires and going strong.

I couldn't decide between the Verde Plus, Plus II or the Zero Plus. There is so much info and everyone has different takes on the various points of why a particular tire is good compared to the others, even within the same brand.
I ended up ordering the Zero Plus since I'm in LA. I've reached out to a couple of fellow TMCers and didn't get a reply.
So here goes nothing I guess, it HAS to be better than the Conti OEMs which lasted barely 22k miles.
I don't know how some of the people posting 30-35k on the Contis before they changed it out got that kind of mileage.
I'm thinking did I get defective tires?
Also is it true about the rear camber issue on all Tesla cars? My rear tires were warped, completely bald in the inside on the tire, is it a design/ part defect? When I had the S, I didn't have this issue but the Tesla body shop sent me photos of how bad the tires were on the X.

Picked the Zero even though the treadwear isn't as good as the Verde Plus II, I plan on selling the car soon. Owning the X has not been a pleasant experience compared to the S.

I couldn't decide between the Verde Plus, Plus II or the Zero Plus. There is so much info and everyone has different takes on the various points of why a particular tire is good compared to the others, even within the same brand.
I ended up ordering the Zero Plus since I'm in LA. I've reached out to a couple of fellow TMCers and didn't get a reply.
So here goes nothing I guess, it HAS to be better than the Conti OEMs which lasted barely 22k miles.
I don't know how some of the people posting 30-35k on the Contis before they changed it out got that kind of mileage.
I'm thinking did I get defective tires?
Also is it true about the rear camber issue on all Tesla cars? My rear tires were warped, completely bald in the inside on the tire, is it a design/ part defect? When I had the S, I didn't have this issue but the Tesla body shop sent me photos of how bad the tires were on the X.

Picked the Zero even though the treadwear isn't as good as the Verde Plus II, I plan on selling the car soon. Owning the X has not been a pleasant experience compared to the S.

“Verde” is Italian for Green, if that tells you anything. The Verde is their low rolling resistance product.

Reactions: Fairchild
“Verde” is Italian for Green, if that tells you anything. The Verde is their low rolling resistance product.
DC Goo, thank you for the Italian translation, I know Spanish as well (same definition as Italian), lol. All good though.
As I stated my two priorities for a tire is noise and tread life, That's the reason I went with the Zero instead of the Verde for the noise part over the treadlife.
Not sure I how long I'll be keeping the car but I probably plan on no more than one year since I drive about 7500 miles per year. Hoping for a new S soon. X has been difficult to own due to a myriad of reasons.

DC Goo, thank you for the Italian translation, I know Spanish as well (same definition as Italian), lol. All good though.
As I stated my two priorities for a tire is noise and tread life, That's the reason I went with the Zero instead of the Verde for the noise part over the treadlife.

My top priority is range. So I am torn between the Verde Plus and the Verde Plus II which has a slightly better mileage rating. Only problem with the Plus II is the front tires (265) are only available in speed range H (130 MPH) rated. Tesla wants them to be speed range V or better. I am not sure how big of a deal that actually is.

At 25,000 miles, my OEM Continentals are at 6/32, so I have a little bit of time to stir. But probably before this winter.

My top priority is range. So I am torn between the Verde Plus and the Verde Plus II which has a slightly better mileage rating. Only problem with the Plus II is the front tires (265) are only available in speed range H (130 MPH) rated. Tesla wants them to be speed range V or better. I am not sure how big of a deal that actually is.

At 25,000 miles, my OEM Continentals are at 6/32, so I have a little bit of time to stir. But probably before this winter.

Yeah i don't understand what the big deal or little deal the speed ratings are, For me I don't think I'll ever touch 100 much less 130. Depends if you're a speed demon I guess, either way, it's miles better than the Contis.
Tried out the Zero plus yesterday, I'm pleased with them so far and noise to me, isn't that much of a difference from the OEMs.
i think you'll be please with the Pirellis.

It's bee a while but at least I remembered to got back to yall:

The second set of tires are "Michelin Sport 4 SUV". They are almost at the end of life right now, it's been 24k miles / 3 years since they were put on.

They worn slower than the factory ones (14k miles / 20 months), but there are many factors in play here (e.g. I'm driving slower now with 2 kids being added to the family) so I won't say they are definitely more durable.

It's bee a while but at least I remembered to got back to yall:

The second set of tires are "Michelin Sport 4 SUV". They are almost at the end of life right now, it's been 24k miles / 3 years since they were put on.

They worn slower than the factory ones (14k miles / 20 months), but there are many factors in play here (e.g. I'm driving slower now with 2 kids being added to the family) so I won't say they are definitely more durable.
Another consideration is Hankook tires. They are quiet, sticky and last a long time. The Hankook tires in the pic on the left set the Word SUV 1/4 mile record back in the day and they were still looking good with 35,000+ miles when I sold the Raven X.

I currently have 41, 606 miles on the OEM Michelin's that came with my Model Y and they still have good tread. Amazing tires as well, but I will replace them with Hankook tires when the time comes (Cost about half the price).

Avoid Continental like the plague.

Reactions: Shane Qi