Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires for 20" Inductions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You would need to change to a 19" or 18" wheel when switching to a tire with a taller sidewall to maintain the diameter of the tire/wheel combination.

The OE 19" wheels have a bit more cushioned ride but the best way to improve the ride of the Tesla Model Y is to install comfort coil springs or comfort coilovers.

You would need to change to a 19" or 18" wheel when switching to a tire with a taller sidewall to maintain the diameter of the tire/wheel combination.

The OE 19" wheels have a bit more cushioned ride but the best way to improve the ride of the Tesla Model Y is to install comfort coil springs or comfort coilovers.
Thanks @jcanoe. I was hoping to avoid going the new coil route and I do like the look of the Inductions, but might have to bite the bullet.

Is it possible to change the tires that come with the 20" Inductions to a less low profile tire? Would that improve ride quality in any way and would it compromise anything?
Yes. I highly recommend trying 265/40R20. I have a set on my Y and I love them! Only a negligible difference in overall diameter of about 4mm higher profile than stock but you get slightly wider (10mm) tread. Because of slightly larger volume in the tire, aka, more room for air, the ride quality will improve as a result. And it does! :cool:

Yes. I highly recommend trying 265/40R20. I have a set on my Y and I love them! Only a negligible difference in overall diameter of about 4mm higher profile than stock but you get slightly wider (10mm) tread. Because of slightly larger volume in the tire, aka, more room for air, the ride quality will improve as a result. And it does! :cool:
Which tire did you change too if you don't mind me asking?

Which tire?

How is your range with 265's? Any big difference compare to 255's?

Changing to Tesla induction wheels on Model Y Performance for a square setup with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. OEM size is 255/40-20.

I’m going to try using 265/40-20 on the 9.5” wide induction wheels to try and get a bit more protection from an accidental curbing of the rims. I do not make a habit of curbing the rims, but the penalty is steep on black satin metal and if I can add some protection and a little sidewall while I’m already buying tires, I figure why not?

I noticed Tsportline offers a 275/40-20 on their 10” wide wheel/tire kits marketed to protect the wheels. I believe a 275/40-20 would technically fit the 9.5” induction wheels but it’s at the upper limit and things would get a little more significantly weird with speed and range.

The difference in actual speed and speedometer is less than 1 mph for speeds less than 90mph on the 265/40-20. The difference exceeds 1mph around 43mph with the 275/40-20.

Size255/40-20265/40-20Difference
Sidewall Height:4.02''4.17''0.15''
Section Width:10.04''10.43''0.39''
Tire Height:28.04''28.34''0.3''
Tire Circum:88.09''89.03''0.94''
Rev. / Mile:719.26711.67-7.5

Size255/40-20275/40-20Difference
Sidewall Height:4.02''4.33''0.31''
Section Width:10.04''10.83''0.79''
Tire Height:28.04''28.66''0.62''
Tire Circum:88.09''90.04''1.95''
Rev. / Mile:719.26703.69-15.5

I’m going to try using 265/40-20 on the 9.5” wide induction wheels to try and get a bit more protection from an accidental curbing of the rims. I do not make a habit of curbing the rims, but the penalty is steep on black satin metal and if I can add some protection and a little sidewall while I’m already buying tires, I figure why not?
I'll be plus sizing as well, but only because there aren't many options in 255/40-20.
However, having extra sidewall isn't going to do jack to protect against curb rash. My other car has Pilot Sport AS4, in 275/40 on a 9.5" wheel. The tire will flex, and will expose the rim regardless... I still got a gnarly rash in a parking garage.

In my case with the Y, I was planning on getting 255/45-20, becuase there are more options in that size. I thought about doing 265/40-20, but I figured the wider contact patch would be more detrimental to range, than the 255/45-20 would be, with both having less range than stock, becuase I plan on getting a better/grippier tire than the stocks. Altho I may change my mind, becuase I tend not to like the stretched look, and is why I put 275 on my other car's 9.5" wheels. But I don't want to run 275 on all 4 corners of the Y, so I'm still up in the air with 255 vs 265.

And what's crazy, is that for the tire I'm looking at, the 275/40-20 is actually almost $50 cheaper per tire than 265/40-20, which makes it harder for me to justify 265/40-20 over 255/45-20, which is $100 cheaper than the 265/40-20.

Last edited:
I believe a 275/40-20 would technically fit the 9.5” induction wheels but it’s at the upper limit and things would get a little more significantly weird with speed and range.

Technically speaking, 275 is the optimum tire width for a 9.5" wheel. That's what I was told when I ordered a set of custom 2 piece forged wheels for my other car. The 275 tire I have on there, the sidewall looks awesome on that wheel.

FWIW, if looking at 275, then 275/35-20 is closer to stock.
Has anyone confirmed that 275's, either /40 or /35, address the curb rash issue sufficiently?

I could see where 265 might or might not do much, since you're only getting about 5mm more protection and the flex in going around a corner or parallel parking might eat the 5mm up, resulting in still having curb rash?

If you go with a wider tire, do it because you don't like how a stretched tire looks. Don't do it because you think it'll protect the rims better. It won't do jack if you hit a curb. I have 275/40 on a 9.5" wheel on the back of my G35 Coupe, and a 245/40 on an 8.5" wheel on the front. I have zero stretch, as both widths are the optimum width tire for those wheels. I still got curb rash rash on the rear wheel when I clipped a curb in a parking garage. If you hit a curb, the tire will flex because there is a lot of force being exerted on a small area.