Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires: MXM4 vs other options for model 3 tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just found out that I need new tires for my 2019 Dual Motor M3. I have found the stock MXM4 to be fine. I'm not a performance driver (my last car was a Subaru Forrester!). Efficiency is important to me, as is noise and comfort. Before I realized that the MXM4 could be had from Costco, I thought it wasn't an option as it is long backordered everywhere else. So I researched every other available tire, and settled on the the Quatrac Pro by Vredestein's. The options were very limited due to tire shortages all over the place. It's a Grand Touring All-Season tire that gets good reviews and seems to be popular amongst Tesla folk. It also happens to be relatively inexpensive, but I don't really care about that, I just want to get the best tires. Now that I see the MXM4 is available in two weeks from Costco, I started looking in to those. They get much worse reviews, almost THE worst for M3 tires. Is that just because they're not high performing? Am I correct that they are the most efficient? I'm suffering MAJOR paralysis by analysis here! Please help...

Reactions: goldengate
@dansev I think you're correct that the MXM4 are pretty much the most efficient tire out there for this car. They also have good tread life and are pretty quiet, at least with the foam liner in Tesla spec. Maybe some other efficiency-focused tires are just as efficient now, but I think you're unlikely to end up with significantly better efficiency than the MXM4.

MXM4 performance and road feel is atrocious even compared to many non-sporting all seasons, but if you're fine with those aspects, they certainly have their benefits which seem to match your priorities. I haven't read MXM4 reviews but I would guess you are correct, bad reviews are due to their low performance. I think they're a polarizing tire because they're very focused on a few strengths - which they are very good at - to the detriment of other aspects.

Also the MXM4 are OE on many efficiency-minded cars like Prius, base Model 3, base Model S (at least in past years), etc - so lots of people end up experiencing them who might not otherwise choose such a tire, and who would really prefer something more well-rounded or sporting.

That last sentence there is really interesting. So maybe the reviews wouldn't be so bad if only those who wanted them actually ended up with them? I do want efficiency, but I have to say, hearing words like "atrocious" do make me wonder if giving up 5% efficiency might be worth it. I guess I give that up 5-6 months a year with my winter tires, right? Are the Tesla winter tires in any way made for efficiency? Looks like the Pilot Sport 4 AS is also available, in addition to the Quatrac Pro. Ugh, I just can't decide what to do.

Winter tires tend to have very poor efficiency I believe. As best I understand it (not remotely an expert) the needs of snow and ice traction are in pretty direct conflict for rolling efficiency on pavement. There's probably a wide range of efficiency across all winter-friendly tires though.

Yes I really didn't like the MXM4 when we tried them on our Model S P85 once. My wife was tired of how quickly that car eats through the "max performance" tires I kept buying for it (and that it came with stock), so she tried the Tesla-spec MXM4. When we finally replaced those MXM4 with some random non-performance-focused Continental all-season that a local tire shop had on hand in the right size + ratings, even my wife commented that the car gripped better wet and dry and gave her more confidence, especially in the twisties. (She doesn't seek out twisty roads for fun like me, she's not into that sort of driving at all, but our regular driving takes us through lots of twisties anyways.)

I haven't used the MXM4 a Model 3 but I'm sure they feel about the same. I am keeping our M3P strictly on <= 300 TW performance tires, it's too fun and sporty for anything less 😈, especially since I just upgraded the suspension. 😉 Our S P85 is a big soft family car though, and honestly such tires were a bit overkill for it, so I'm fine staying with less aggressive, longer-lasting tires on it, but we won't be going back to the MXM4, those were too low-performing for us and our driving.

It's all perspective and priorities though. You can tell my priorities and driving are probably very different from yours. If a Prius and base Model 3 came with the sort of tires I like, you'd probably find just as many people complaining, except the complaints would be for low tread life, firmer ride, etc. If you're not into fast driving, and you're not regularly driving on narrow twisty cliff-edge roads, it's totally reasonable for you to pick a different kind of tire than me!

On the efficiency front, to me what matters is that I don't feel stressed about range in my regular driving. If you're already borderline in that regard with your car then definitely stick with efficient tires, aero wheel caps, and a gentle right foot. However if your car gives you plenty of range for your regular driving, to get home for nightly charge or to the next supercharger, then why not spare a few miles of range for better performance? Up to you of course!

Here's two examples of "how much should I care about tire efficiency?'

Exhibit A, our January 2013 Model S P85 with a degraded battery. Was EPA 265 mile range when new, now the car estimates 240 ish full charge. For our daily driving it still has plenty of range, but we do some regular longer drives where we push its range limits more depending on what extra driving we need to that day. Free supercharging but Tesla has throttled that so much it's painful to supercharge now.

Exhibit B, our October 2021 Model 3 Performance. EPA 318 mile range, no observable degradation yet, in fact it has better-than-new efficiency now thanks to downsizing the wheels from uber-heavy 20s to much lighter and more practical forged 18s (even though I stayed with "max performance" tire category).

The Model S still has plenty of range for our daily driving, but we do very regular longer drives that sometimes push its limits, depending on how much ancillary driving we need to do that day, and how fast we drive it (neither of us likes to hypermile). It has free supercharging but Tesla has chargegated it so supercharging is painfully slow now.

The Model 3 has plenty of range. Heck I don't think I've even bothered charging it to 100% more than once. It feels wonderfully efficient compared to the old S, the extra range means it's stress-free, without a supercharger stop, on drives where we'd be stressed for range or have to slowly supercharge in the S. Again switching to 18" wheels instead of 20" definitely helped, though even with the 20s it was clearly more efficient and longer range than the S. In daily driving without those longer drives I usually just charge it to 60% and even that's overkill.

Result: On the S I'd say we're definitely range sensitive for tires now. I don't see us going back to sticky 300TW summer performance tires on it again. But the MXM4 were just too low performing for us. I literally feel safer with the tires it has on now, in the driving we do.

Result: On the 3 we're not range sensitive for tires at all at this point. That could of course change over the years if our driving needs change and as its battery degrades, but for now it has good range for us even with ~ 300TW "max performance" tires, which are the most aggressive tires still focused on street use.

Now as you go with grippier tires you also tend to lose tread life, which is its own tradeoff, but that tradeoff is worthwhile to me (less so to my wife!). Also so far the M3P seems a little more gentle on tires than the S P85, though could also be that tread life in this tire category has improved with a newer generation of tires than what I was using on our S P85.

Of the Vredestein tires, the discontinued Quadtrac 5 is the one that was known as having low rolling resistance, a feature not generally associated with the Quadtrac Pro.

For low rolling resistance tires for the Model 3 18" wheels, the Michelin Primacy MXM4 (T1 Tesla spec) is probably the lowest rolling resistance option for best economy and range, but the new Pirelli PZero All Season Elect is being marketed as a low rolling resistance tire for electric vehicle drivers who want to maximize range (the Elect version is different from the non-Elect version), so it has potential to match the Primacy MXM4 T1. The Primacy MXM4 T1 should be available at Costco and the PZero All Season Elect should be available at Discount Tire / America's Tire.

Part of the problem is that there are no reliable ratings of how much difference in efficiency various tires are (at least in the US). So even if you are willing to give up some economy and range for better performance, you cannot make an informed decision on that if you do not know how much economy and range is affected for each model of tire. It is analogous to choosing between X and Y, where the cost of Y is different from X, but you do not know what the difference is until after you commit to buying Y.

Now that I see the MXM4 is available in two weeks from Costco, I started looking in to those. They get much worse reviews, almost THE worst for M3 tires. Is that just because they're not high performing?
A lot of OEM tires get poor reviews on Tire Rack etc. because they came with the car, but the driver prefers a tire with different characteristics. The drivers who are picky about tires are probably more likely to post reviews on them. They may also be comparing their worn out OEM tires to their new replacement tires.

Michelin's non-winter tires generally go like this in sportiness: Defender, Energy Saver < Primacy, CrossClimate < Pilot. There are probably many posters here who want to drive more sporty and would therefore find one of the Pilot tires or equivalents from other brands to be more suitable for them. But if you are not that sporty a driver, mid-sportiness tire like the Primacy may be fine for you.

I've used Michelin tires almost 100% . Its wall is thicker than most if not all