Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tm3 Lr Charger Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Garage and panel on either side of the house. Electrician quoted x for going through the attic and down to garage for one NEMA 14-50 install. For two NEMA 14-50 installs he quoted 2x - he would do a 100A breaker (+ subpanel in garage) and the material cost increase. Two to future proof, and avoid going through the attic again.

Installing a single Tesla wall connector is cheaper than the two NEMAs, but more expensive than a single NEMA. Is Tesla Wall connector worth it? suggestions?

Model 3 LR will be delivered next week.

14-50 requires 3 wires plus a ground. HPWC only requires 2 wires plus a ground so the wiring should be cheaper (by about 33%) at that distance. And that could be significant as the wire is gonna be thick and expensive - likely 4 or bigger depending on distance for 100A. Make sure he is budgeting for that. Not to complicate further, but I guess you could even run a 6-50 to only run 2w+g and buy a new mobile charger pigtail for like 50 bucks.

I would run thick enough cable for the length of run you have at 100a and just terminate it either in a Tesla HPWC (which means the run is 2w+g) or 14-50 (which means the run is 3w+g) to start if you only have a single car now. If in the future you get a second, you can either add a second HPWC on the same wire or re-termimate the run in a separate breaker at that time and run a second 14-50.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hour123
Since the TM3s internal charger is 48 amps max, I'd have the new box wired to a 100 amp main breaker, but then string appropriate wire on a 60A breaker to a Tesla wall charger. This will charge your LR as fast as it can be done at home.

That way if:
You get another Tesla, you can add another wall charger, put each on a 50 amp breaker, and have them share 40 amps each of charging power, still very capable of an overnight full charge.
or
You get another brand of EV, you can get a 40 amp other-brand charger for it (pretty standard), and put it and the Tesla wall charger each on 50 amp breakers and similarly split the load.

In other words, there's no reason to put the Tesla charger on a 100 amp breaker for an LR. If you think you might someday get a S or X, use 100 amp wire to the wall charger (while still using only a 60 amp breaker), to future proof.

Reactions: Hour123
Since the TM3s internal charger is 48 amps max, I'd have the new box wired to a 100 amp main breaker, but then string appropriate wire on a 60A breaker to a Tesla wall charger. This will charge your LR as fast as it can be done at home.

That way if:
You get another Tesla, you can add another wall charger, put each on a 50 amp breaker, and have them share 40 amps each of charging power, still very capable of an overnight full charge.
or
You get another brand of EV, you can get a 40 amp other-brand charger for it (pretty standard), and put it and the Tesla wall charger each on 50 amp breakers and similarly split the load.

In other words, there's no reason to put the Tesla charger on a 100 amp breaker for an LR. If you think you might someday get a S or X, use 100 amp wire to the wall charger (while still using only a 60 amp breaker), to future proof.

Thanks for the reply. I see you are from Houston, do you have a reco for an electrician?