Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To carbon fiber or not to carbon fiber...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model Y has a weird issue with reflection. Anything white or bright or shiny will reflect onto the tinted window and block 70% of the mirror. It’s a real pain in the ass. See pic… I went with matte carbon. I’m sure that’s why he’s asking.

Next time you can just google model y and reflection and see what he’s talking about.
Well I don’t have to Google cause you must have an aluminum type of trim like brushed aluminum. And yes that will cause more of a reflection glare than any other trim. I know nothing about the Y or 3 but unfortunately you can’t compare carbon fiber gloss in any color to any type of aluminum. In fact you will get more glare and a blinding reflection from a gloss piano black trim or even a carbon vinyl wrap and you will never have an issue with the reflection of any real gloss carbon fiber it’s not possible due to how it’s made and how it reflects Sun. No gloss carbon fiber will ever be an issue with reflecting glare into your eyes. Regardless of color etc.

Well I don’t have to Google cause you must have an aluminum type of trim like brushed aluminum. And yes that will cause more of a reflection glare than any other trim. I know nothing about the Y or 3 but unfortunately you can’t compare carbon fiber gloss in any color to any type of aluminum. In fact you will get more glare and a blinding reflection from a gloss piano black trim or even a carbon vinyl wrap and you will never have an issue with the reflection of any real gloss carbon fiber it’s not possible due to how it’s made and how it reflects Sun. No gloss carbon fiber will ever be an issue with reflecting glare into your eyes. Regardless of color etc.
Sorry that you know nothing about the Y or 3 but are posting here and trying to sell your products. You should probably make a piece that fits the 3 and Y and test it first. I posted earlier in this thread and already switched out my white dash piece. Anyways doesn’t matter I have a real matte carbon fiber trim piece now and it still has a reflection but it’s not as bad. I’m sure a gloss carbon piece would be just as bad as the white piece.

Last edited:
It’s not the carbon fibre that reflects direct to the eyes on this car. The problem is for whatever reason the dash angle reflects poorly against the windshield. White, glossy anything, heck the light wood reflects as well.

Reactions: OGKobraTribe