Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To get Carpool Sticker now or wait until 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Tesla in October 2018 and applied to get the CA EV Rebate because my houselhold income was below the 300K. I completely forgot to apply for the Carpool sticker though.

I filled my taxes in April 2019 and we are now slightly above the 300K and I'm wondering if I can still apply to get the carpool sticker?

The law says that above 300K it's "Clean Air Vehicle Program ONLY" but I'm not sure I can get it because I also got the EV Rebate while being under 300K?

What is your interpretation of the law?

For BEVs, the income verification is only for the rebate which you qualified when you applied. It is only for Fuel Cell vehicles where it is an either/or.

As long as the vehicle did not have stickers previously, it qualifies for stickers regardless of income. (This also applies to used vehicles, for example, a used BEV purchased from out of state could be eligible as it never had stickers.)

It’s fine. Just apply. You haven’t done your 2019 taxes yet right? So you technically don’t have >$300k. What if you lose your job tomorrow?

Best to your knowledge is your 2018 taxes. <$300k

I filled my taxes in April 2019 for the 2018 year and my income was above 300K. When I applied to the EV rebate, I wasn't selected for income verification but if it would have been the case, I would have given the 2018 taxes which were < 300K.