Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To get Carpool Sticker now or wait until 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure lots of us have wondered this. California just came out with red stickers in March of this year, yet they say they are changing them in Jan 2019. This sounds fishy as most stickers last a few years of issuance .

I was wondering if people are waiting until 2019 to apply for carpool or just getting it now. It doesn’t even sound like the details are ironed out for 2019 . It’s possible they stop the program since I’ve heard 2022 or 2023 will be the last years of the carpool program?

Lots of things sound off for waiting, but an extra year would be nice since we are 8 months into 2018.

Thanks all
Force

If you wait until 2019, then they would be good until Jan 1, 2023. If you want the stickers for the longest duration possible then apply as soon as the new year hits.

According to the dmv page, that may not be the case. Look at the verbiage for white and green stickers:

"White CAV decals are valid only until January 1, 2019. New white CAV decals are no longer issued. Eligible vehicles issued a white decal in 2017 or 2018 are eligible to apply for a red decal in 2019 granting them access to HOV lanes until January 1, 2022."

That would suck for those who gets their sticker end of the year if it expires 1/1/22, folks who got early delivery gets to enjoy many number of months of hov bliss.

Doesn’t seem fair. If you wait until next year, expiring 1/1/23 would be fair...

Edit: One source I read which is not the official source seems to think applying jan 1st, 2019 will get you to jan 1st, 2023.

That’s what I read too. But there’s still 4 months in the year and I need the FasTrak toll lanes now!!!!! They are cutting that end of the year and no longer letting EVs drive free on the FasTrak toll lanes.

So ya. I rather give up 8 months to get 4 months of free toll lane usage.

• Informative
Reactions: EVChris
I think they have changed the verbiage on the site a few times. All previous color stickers expire on a certain day and now we will have red stickers that some will expire in 2022 and some in 2023?

Thanks to all for the digging, I might call the 800 number and report back.

I think they have changed the verbiage on the site a few times. All previous color stickers expire on a certain day and now we will have red stickers that some will expire in 2022 and some in 2023?

Thanks to all for the digging, I might call the 800 number and report back.

Ya impossible to enforce red stickers with some expiring 2022 and some 2023. If I had a 2022 hell im going to stay in the carpool lane until 2023. They are unable to enforce and pull over SOV drivers. What makes them look twice at me with a Red Sticker?

California’s Clean Air Decals | California Air Resources Board

Expiration Dates

For Decals Issued on:
Will Be Valid until:

January 1, 2017 – December 31, 2018:
January 1, 2019

January 1, 2019 or after to a vehicle that was issued a decal in 2017 or 2018:
January 1, 2022

January 1, 2019 or after to a vehicle that did not previously have a decal:
January 1st of the fourth year after the year of issue. For example, a decal issued on June 24, 2019 would expire on January 1, 2023

January 1, 2022 or later:
All decals expire on September 30, 2025

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and EVChris
Ya impossible to enforce red stickers with some expiring 2022 and some 2023. If I had a 2022 hell im going to stay in the carpool lane until 2023. They are unable to enforce and pull over SOV drivers. What makes them look twice at me with a Red Sticker?

Exactly. I believe in the past with the other colored stickers, they passed laws extending them. Earlier you got the stickers, the more you benefited (the idea is to encourage greener cars after all). It makes the most sense that they'll keep doing the same thing (ie extend and everyone gets the same expiration date meaning the earlier you get it, the more you'll benefit).

Exactly. I believe in the past with the other colored stickers, they passed laws extending them. Earlier you got the stickers, the more you benefited (the idea is to encourage greener cars after all). It makes the most sense that they'll keep doing the same thing (ie extend and everyone gets the same expiration date meaning the earlier you get it, the more you'll benefit).

It sounds like a 2019 sticker will be a different color?

Hoping it will be carbon fiber. Will blend in nicely with my black P3+! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: gambit48
California’s Clean Air Decals | California Air Resources Board

Expiration Dates

For Decals Issued on:
Will Be Valid until:

January 1, 2017 – December 31, 2018:
January 1, 2019

January 1, 2019 or after to a vehicle that was issued a decal in 2017 or 2018:
January 1, 2022

January 1, 2019 or after to a vehicle that did not previously have a decal:
January 1st of the fourth year after the year of issue. For example, a decal issued on June 24, 2019 would expire on January 1, 2023

January 1, 2022 or later:
All decals expire on September 30, 2025

They are already issuing stickers that are valid past 2019....

Red Clean Air Vehicle Decals are now being issued by the California DMV for all qualifying vehicles pursuant to CVC §§5205.5 and 21655.9 that will be valid until January 1, 2022.

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

They are already issuing stickers that are valid past 2019....

Red Clean Air Vehicle Decals are now being issued by the California DMV for all qualifying vehicles pursuant to CVC §§5205.5 and 21655.9 that will be valid until January 1, 2022.

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

They just changed it from the the Red sticker ending date. It was supposed to be valid until 1-1-2019 then you would apply for a new sticker.

It would a waste of everyone's time to apply for a new sticker in 4 months, so they just made the red sticker go to 1-1-2022.

I am just wondering if new applications on 1-1-2019 would generate a new color that isn't red. I think that would make the most sense.

They just changed it from the the Red sticker ending date. It was supposed to be valid until 1-1-2019 then you would apply for a new sticker.

It would a waste of everyone's time to apply for a new sticker in 4 months, so they just made the red sticker go to 1-1-2022.

I am just wondering if new applications on 1-1-2019 would generate a new color that isn't red. I think that would make the most sense.

If the sticker obtained after 1/1/2019 has one extra year than the current red one, it would make sense that it has to be a different color. Otherwise there is no way for highway patrol to know which is which when 2012 comes around.

Reactions: Glamisduner
If the sticker obtained after 1/1/2019 has one extra year than the current red one, it would make sense that it has to be a different color. Otherwise there is no way for highway patrol to know which is which when 2012 comes around.

I agree.. we are going to assume completely rational decisions are going to be made. That's dangerous. :)

But in case, I'm going to hold off applying for a sticker and wait till 1-1-2019 in the hopes I get something out of the delay.

• Funny
Reactions: Need
I agree.. we are going to assume completely rational decisions are going to be made. That's dangerous. :)

But in case, I'm going to hold off applying for a sticker and wait till 1-1-2019 in the hopes I get something out of the delay.

:D As it's the DMV, I'm going with the complete opposite assumption. I'm assuming completely IRrational decisions and gambling on them either not getting their act together and going "Ah, screw it, we'll just extend everyone" or going with another color (which is why I put mine on a bit of paint protection film so I can pull them off later). If it's another color, I'm with you and hope it's carbon fiber colored/patterned.

Reactions: MXWing
I think the correct answer is that no one knows for sure.

I think your chances are better waiting until January, because when the red stickers expire in 2022, they will come up with new requirements for renewals (will the cutoff for car enrollment be 2018 , 2019? 2020? No one knows.) Likely that the cut off will be 2020 though screw the 2019 en-rollers, but they just as easily make the cut off 2021? Or they could do something completely different.