Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 P90D with AP1. I pulled the trigger on the MCU 2 upgrade after the bubbling gauge and center screens started driving me crazy. The gauge screen was so bad the battery, clock, etc on the bottom edge weren't visible at all. On top of a door handle, charge port door and two tail lights I'm at $2800 including tax, 5 days of downtime + a newer (and way nicer) MS 90D loaner car. Can't complain for a car with over 110k miles. My Audi had 10x that in repairs before it hit 70k...
Why so much? I have 16 S 75 with AP1 and mine was 1500 plus taxes without radio

Has anyone run a browser test on the new plaid? Curious how much better MCU3 peforms vs MCU2

So MCU3 is roughly 2-3x better than MCU2 which is in turn as much as 10x better than MCU1…
  • HTML5: 519/555
  • SunSpider: 475.2 ms +/- 1.6%
  • SpeedBattle: 718.28 (Calculate: 118.72, Store: 585.14, Render: 14.42)

Last edited:
He said he has AP1. Oh I though he meant something else about door handle , charge port door and two taillights. Got ya.
Sorry for the confusion. Yes MCU 2 + both screens was $1500. Add door handle, charge port and two tail lights on top for a total of $2700 (they ended up knocking $100 off the door handle fix since the same door handle was replaced a year and a half ago....).

Speaking of MCU 2, even for an AP1 car I think it's well worth it. Maybe I'm blind, but in the audio settings I noticed a new "immersion level" toggle. Set it to high, music sounds absolutely amazing. Maybe it's placebo, since my car has the HiFi audio pack and the loaner S I was in didn't. My wife and I don't have a home charger so we use the supercharger multiple times a week together when we're out and about in the city. Having Netflix/YouTube/Hulu and even the Careoke (that was a fun one last night!) is well worth it. I almost feel like I'm in a new car. Time to figure out a way to reupholster the terrible (IMO) next-gen seats...

I have a non Teck pkg 2014 model S, no nav or trip planning, still 3g. Tech says I'll gain both and LTE by doing the mcu2 upgrade for 2k cdn. I plan to keep the car another 4 years minimum. No brainer to do it? Any chance it gets cheaper?
You don't have navigation? What do you use the MCU for then? For the faster navigation with waypoints alone the upgrade is worth it for sure. I don't see it becoming any cheaper but with Tesla you never know.

Reactions: raphy3 and Akikiki
I got the upgrade last year for faster browser response for sites like TeslaWaze, and Tesla Winds and Elevation. It definitely makes the screen more responsive. However, Tesla has removed geo location tags in a recent "update", so many interesting web sites are no longer available.
I asked the developer of TeslaWaze about the location issue and he said to use Twitter and Reddit to complain about this as Tesla monitors these apps.

I got the upgrade last year for faster browser response for sites like TeslaWaze, and Tesla Winds and Elevation. It definitely makes the screen more responsive. However, Tesla has removed geo location tags in a recent "update", so many interesting web sites are no longer available.

So, the Tesla Winds and Elevation does work anymore on an operational MCU?

How about the key fob and the MCU2 upgrade? Do the fobs need to be "paired" again with the new MCU?
Honestly I'm not sure what the fobs are paired with ... with the MCU or another part separate from the MCU?
Does your second fob you did not give to the Service Center still work?

Tnx.