Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also did the upgrade on my Model S 90D 2017.
Coming from a Model 3, the MCU1 is really painful..
The thing I like the most is a fast responsive screen.
But also, instantly be ready to drive when hopping in the car while the MCU was sleeping.
Spotify browsing is much faster, new features, even the AP3 FSD preview is a nice addition in the instruments cluster.

A bit off-topic, but ... which one requires more work done by the SC: The MCU2 upgrade or the HV battery replacement?

I'm just curious.

Does anyone know?
I'm betting MCU2 upgrade. They need to backup certain settings/certificates, dismantle the dashboard, remove the old MCU and 2 screens, reinstall, restore settings and then redeploy firmware (2 hour process) which doesn't always (according to a local engineer the right term was "hardly ever") work the first time.

Reactions: Droschke
That's an interesting thought. We do have one person at least here (but I am not going to be the one that says his name) that did his own MCU2 upgrade before Tesla even admitted it's possible. So, he would know what he had to do to make it work.

But since you brought it up, could be that the car's security certificates need updating to a set that recognize MCU2 and we have no way of getting those from a Tesla server. Hmmm, interesting discussion. Mr @advert.

That's an interesting thought. We do have one person at least here (but I am not going to be the one that says his name) that did his own MCU2 upgrade before Tesla even admitted it's possible. So, he would know what he had to do to make it work.

But since you brought it up, could be that the car's security certificates need updating to a set that recognize MCU2 and we have no way of getting those from a Tesla server. Hmmm, interesting discussion. Mr @advert.
Thanks for response. I understand your question about certs, but they are totally fine, were migrated from old MCU1, Tesla app works just fine. So there's something different.

A bit off-topic, but ... which one requires more work done by the SC: The MCU2 upgrade or the HV battery replacement?

I'm just curious.

Does anyone know?

Definitely the MCU2 upgrade. Remember the short-lived battery swap station demo? WIth the proper equipment setup, a battery replacement could take just a few minutes. The MCU2 upgrade as mentioned above, they have to take apart the entire dashboard, install the MCU and IC, re-install, and then do (one or more) firmware updates. Takes several hours.

I'm betting MCU2 upgrade. They need to backup certain settings/certificates, dismantle the dashboard, remove the old MCU and 2 screens, reinstall, restore settings and then redeploy firmware (2 hour process) which doesn't always (according to a local engineer the right term was "hardly ever") work the first time.

Definitely the MCU2 upgrade. Remember the short-lived battery swap station demo? WIth the proper equipment setup, a battery replacement could take just a few minutes. The MCU2 upgrade as mentioned above, they have to take apart the entire dashboard, install the MCU and IC, re-install, and then do (one or more) firmware updates. Takes several hours.

Thanks both.

When I dropped off my car for the MCU2 upgrade back in Sep'21 I was told before they started that reloading the firmware takes several hours and didn't always work, meaning they might have to repeat the long reload process again from the start, possibly several times . Therefore predicting how long they'd have my car might be difficult. In the end it took them 3 full business days to successfully complete the upgrade because of issues trying to reload the FW. Maybe they've ironed out the kinks in the process by now but anyhow my experience last year matches the comment above. BTW zero regrets getting the upgrade - feels like a new car, so glad to be rid of that crappy MCU1.

I'm just curious.

Does anyone know?
It really depends. Generally, I suspect MCU2. However, my MCU2 took a day. My battery swap took ten days. Seven days for the battery to arrive and three days to retrofit the 90kWh pack into my P85D. Most of the time was retrofitting firmware.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke

Confirmed. Tesla recently changed logic that if you try to use MCU1 certificates on an MCU2, tesla will no longer send your car firmware updates. All cars upgraded prior to this change still get updates, but they’re effectively shutting down DIY retrofits (if any one is still able to do that with all the other cracking down they’re doing) as no mcu2 will get firmware updates if mcu1 certificates talk to mothership. Only way to get mcu1>mcu2 is to do so officially now.

People, we are not in control. Way back a couple of years ago when I was collecting and trying to track MCU1 failures, (before MCU2 Upgrades existed). I learned of this story. In those days, I was using Chrome browser, because I had to translate the posts page at a time to collect MCU1 failure data. I maintained a list of European Emmc Fixers we call them. My list contained contact info and I provided their info with their permissions, when requested.

It was in a series of posts that I observed this story unfold. This was, as I recall, around late 2018 early 2019, but I could easily be wrong about the timeline. There was a poster here on TMC - in Europe that asked a non-Tesla local shop to replace his eMMC. The shop tried, but they could not get the firmware to load and boot the car. The buttoned the MCU back up, put the dash together, After many tries and much stress, gave up and he had his car towed in to his close by Tesla Service Center. He wrote that he was truthful about the situation. They had tried and failed. The Tesla Service Center he took it to, refused to touch it. He said, they said, Tesla Europe Corporate told them, no not to work on it.

That's when he and I made contact via PMs. I passed him the names of some fixers that were very successful and one fixed his car. I don't remember who it was that fixed it. It was not important at the time, except it surely caused many folks to avoid DIY for a while.

If that same type situation was to occur in USofA, these days, there's a good chance the same type of policy exist here and a service center may not work on the car. I guess my point is, if someone here attempts a DIY MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade and it does not work, I would highly suggest they check in with their local SC and see if they would take the broken car in for repair. Does this mean the car is permanently disabled? I don't know. But there are other shops and other people's that might be able to get it running again. Even if only with its original MCU1.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hmm. I had similar experience on my 2013 MS. Emmc died and 3rd party fix was attempted but it failed. Then I decided to upgrade to MCU2 instead. MCU2 upgrade had just became available for pre-AP cars.

Anyway, I was stupid and told Tesla about the attempted 3rd party fix. They refused to take MCU1 as core exchange, so I had to pay over 3200eur for the MCU2 when regular price was 2500eur. However I got to keep the MCU1 and eventually sold it in ebay for 700, so all was fine. :)

Similar experience from the news, the Finnish guy that blew up his Tesla because the battery failed. The car was a salvage car and battery already once fixed by a 3rd party. Tesla would have fixed it but it was very expensive because they wanted to replace the pack and not pay anything for the old one.

So I think the policy is that they will fix 3rd party stuff but you might end up paying more because parts tampered by 3rd party are not eligible as core exchange..

Probably in the DIY MCU2 situation, they will just install new MCU2 and you get to keep the old one.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Ouch. I know nothing will really make you feel better, but maybe this will ease you some. Like I earlier said, I was tracking MCU1 failures. I ready thousands of posts, here and TM's forum, many of them more than once. In the very early days of premature MCU1 failures, - but cars out of warranty, there were no reconditioned/refurbished MCU1's. And in order to have some cores to start with, Tesla was requiring the failed/replaced MCU1 as a core. They simply kept it. Didn't give owner a choice. That's not the "ouch" part. The "ouch" part was those owners of S's out of warranty paid $4,000-$4,200. They were new MCU1s redirected from the production line/off the new parts shelf. Remember too, there was no Emmc replacements being done. It was $4,000+ or nothing. And sorry, but I don't remember if that included labor. Maybe, but maybe not, since it was a new part.

Looks like after my recent MCU2 upgrade, I do not see the visual warning on the instrument cluster showing the proximity to an object anymore. I tested against the wall to make sure.

My "Park Assist Chimes" is set to ON, but don't hear chimes.

Does installing the MCU2 have anything to do with it? Like something that was not connected for this to work?

This is what I used to see which does not appear on IC anymore:

1659969918180.png

Does anyone have this issue with or without the MCU2 upgrade? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: