Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To PPF or not to PPF my M3P

Should I get PPF installed on my Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • No

Votes: 23 52.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have full PPF simply because I don't want to worry about the Tesla paintwork - which frankly isn't great. It's also coated with ceramic and so washing is simple and it looks great afterwards. If that's worth the £3k it cost depends on your point of view. I didn't go with XPEL as it looked slightly artificial on example cars I viewed and also not quite as resilient to puncture/scratching. I think we went with something called Premium Shield in the end. Excellent so far. The guy who applied it also had several very expensive sports cars in his workshop awaiting the same product so that's what clinched it for me

I have full PPF simply because I don't want to worry about the Tesla paintwork - which frankly isn't great. It's also coated with ceramic and so washing is simple and it looks great afterwards. If that's worth the £3k it cost depends on your point of view. I didn't go with XPEL as it looked slightly artificial on example cars I viewed and also not quite as resilient to puncture/scratching. I think we went with something called Premium Shield in the end. Excellent so far. The guy who applied it also had several very expensive sports cars in his workshop awaiting the same product so that's what clinched it for me

Did they tell you how long you can expect it to last? I’ve got my car on a 4 year lease and don’t want to be having to think about replacing it after 3 years! Thanks

Did they tell you how long you can expect it to last? I’ve got my car on a 4 year lease and don’t want to be having to think about replacing it after 3 years! Thanks
The installer gave me a 5 year guarantee. But he said it should last a lot longer. The ceramic coating may need renewing every couple of years but I also use a product called Gyeon "Wet Coat" to keep a low level top up. Seems to be fine at the moment

Reactions: PR-UK
I live in Brighton, salty greasy gunk and seagull blessings are a regular feature of owning a car down here.

I got an extended front XPEL PPF plus ceramic coating on all paint and glass done at Venom Wraps in Sussex. For a white car it definitely stays an awful lot cleaner and the water / muck just rolls off. I’m really pleased I had it done.

On the subject of Insurance, I know people have had different experiences. Mine was a good one with Churchill, I told them about PPF when I was collecting quotes, made it crystal clear it wasn’t a vinyl wrap and just a clear film on the front and sills to prevent stone damage. They were fine with that and noted it on my file, although other people I know with the same insurer have had a different experience.

I am based in Surrey and also have the white colour. How was Venom, did they wrap the edges and what was the cost breakdown for ppf & ceramic?

I had ceramic coat and it looks great, sort of justify a cost as they also did paint correction and dealt with a load of crap Tesla came covered in from the factory, for £500. And then got mudguards!

Unless I had a supercar can’t see PPF being worth it. Seems to be marketed in a FOMO basis.
Can you share more details on where you got yours done? I'm in the Surrey area.

Can you share more details on where you got yours done? I'm in the Surrey area.
I can highly recommend
Mkprodetail
07821 934641
Mkprodetail · Manor park, Windsor Rd, Bedford MK42 9HW they done my E Class 30 months ago and it's now covered about 110k and is still as good as when it was done unlike where I took my Tesla (not naming them) but that's 18 months ago, 41k covered and you wouldn't know it'd had any coating applied and it's been like that since just a few weeks/months of being done!

I’m in the process of booking with MKProDetail atm but FYI they aren’t doing PPF install until May 1st which was a bit annoying as I’d hoped to get it done over the Easter holidays.
Sorry I thought the request was for ceramic coating, I didn't even know they did PPF, I'm taking a minibus next month so I'll enquire about PPF then?"! Thanks

I can highly recommend
Mkprodetail
07821 934641
Mkprodetail · Manor park, Windsor Rd, Bedford MK42 9HW they done my E Class 30 months ago and it's now covered about 110k and is still as good as when it was done unlike where I took my Tesla (not naming them) but that's 18 months ago, 41k covered and you wouldn't know it'd had any coating applied and it's been like that since just a few weeks/months of being done!
Thanks. That location is a touch far from my base in Surrey.
Out of interest why didn't you take your Tesla to the same place as your E class?

Thanks. That location is a touch far from my base in Surrey.
Out of interest why didn't you take your Tesla to the same place as your E class?
I am based in Leicestershire and when I got the Tesla one company was recommended on multiple occasions on this forum and various Facebook groups were about 10 minutes away from me so I thought I'd give them a try, alas it's been far from my best purchase!

Never done PPF, never seen the need for it. After just 8k miles in my MSM M3P, however, the paintwork looked like this:

_sills.jpg

Yes the white spots are stone chips revealing the undercoat underneath. Yes I had mudflaps on from new, they won't protect the paint in front of the rear wheels from being sandblasted away.

The rest of the paintwork was ok, so, when I recently got my LR I got just the sills PPFd. Following the helpful advice from this forum I found an approved XPEL installer to fit the pre-cut sills. And they did a really good job for < £300. The PPF wraps round the edges to cover a much larger and chip prone area than the Tesla PPF 50 quid peices.

The XPEL sill kit also covers the small panel behind the rear wheel and the doors beneath the crease.

sills-new-1.jpg

sills-new-2.jpg

The most diffiicult part of this process was leaving the car on the drive for 5 days before the PPF install to protect the sills.
At less than 300 quid I would strongly recommend it.

• Informative
Never done PPF, never seen the need for it. After just 8k miles in my MSM M3P, however, the paintwork looked like this:

View attachment 649031

Yes the white spots are stone chips revealing the undercoat underneath. Yes I had mudflaps on from new, they won't protect the paint in front of the rear wheels from being sandblasted away.

The rest of the paintwork was ok, so, when I recently got my LR I got just the sills PPFd. Following the helpful advice from this forum I found an approved XPEL installer to fit the pre-cut sills. And they did a really good job for < £300. The PPF wraps round the edges to cover a much larger and chip prone area than the Tesla PPF 50 quid peices.

The XPEL sill kit also covers the small panel behind the rear wheel and the doors beneath the crease.

View attachment 649037

View attachment 649038

The most diffiicult part of this process was leaving the car on the drive for 5 days before the PPF install to protect the sills.
At less than 300 quid I would strongly recommend it.

Thanks for that, out of interest did you have the area behind the rear wheels done as well or just the sills/door area? Thanks.

Thanks for that, out of interest did you have the area behind the rear wheels done as well or just the sills/door area? Thanks.
Yes, the XPEL kit comes with a strip of PPF for the wheel arch behind rear wheels. The straight panel about 2 inch wide, from the join, down to near the bottom of the bumper panel. It comes round the front edge.

Apologies for the crap photo, the camera focuses on the reflections so its difficult to see the PPF.

rear-arch.jpg

I'm probably going to install some mudflaps over this but the PPF will ensure no paint rub.

Last edited:
  • Informative