Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To PPF or not to PPF my M3P

Should I get PPF installed on my Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • No

Votes: 23 52.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

So owing to the paint quality we have come to expect with Tesla’s (some of which I have read on this forum with Model 3s) I am seriously considering getting full PPF (Xpel) done on the vehicle.

I have been quoted £3650+Vat for the full vehicle which includes full detail and ceramic coating on top from a retailer based in London.

Keen to get some views on this? It’s a pearl white M3P due to collect next month.

Do you think it’s a excessive or a worthy investment? Would be interested to hear from those that have also done it.

Thanks!

For context, I've purchased mine out-right. It's really up to you..

I'm going to treat my new car with the up-most care and respect, however the course of 3 - 5 years I know I'm going to naturally care less and less about the 'looks' of the car. As the honeymoon phase wears off and it becomes more of a tool, getting me place to place.

Sure, I'm going to be cleaning it obsessively for the first year, but naturally I feel my energy and care will subside with time. PPF (In my eyes) isn't going to increase the re-sale value above it's initial install cost later down the line. And while a rock-chip in the first year will hurt to look at, I think it will be the least of my worries in 3 years time.

And that's without considering just getting the affected areas re-sprayed/touched up at Chips Away for significantly less than the installation of full PPF.

It's all personal preference.. the financials don't add up, but how much do value on having flawless paint throughout your ownership?

For context, I've purchased mine out-right. It's really up to you..

I'm going to treat my new car with the up-most care and respect, however the course of 3 - 5 years I know I'm going to naturally care less and less about the 'looks' of the car. As the honeymoon phase wears off and it becomes more of a tool, getting me place to place.

Sure, I'm going to be cleaning it obsessively for the first year, but naturally I feel my energy and care will subside with time. PPF (In my eyes) isn't going to increase the re-sale value above it's initial install cost later down the line. And while a rock-chip in the first year will hurt to look at, I think it will be the least of my worries in 3 years time.

And that's without considering just getting the affected areas re-sprayed/touched up at Chips Away for significantly less than the installation of full PPF.

It's all personal preference.. the financials don't add up, but how much do value on having flawless paint throughout your ownership?

Thanks for your input, I do agree with you and tbh it it’s anything like my previous cars I am happy not to get PPF. It’s just what I have heard with Tesla and their paint quality and my lack of experience with their cars.

I just want to understand from experience, is the paint quality that bad or is it just some cars have it bad?

I will most likely be the same, non stop cleaning the first year of so then not caring as much after so food for thought I guess!

• Love
Reactions: Arran
I have PPF on most of the car. There's varying opinions out there so won't rehash those, but if you do decide to go for full PPF, check out the 'Stealth' offering from Xpel.

Also, when picking an installer, make sure they're listed as an approved supplier on the PPF manufacturer's website.

Stealth PPF the nose at least. Door dings are Chips Away fodder. Get more prices. XPEL in Letchworth works fast and is the UK distributor.

GVE Detailing has follow up issues. And they couldn't find the centre of the bonnet for the T ;-)

Did you use GVE? That’s who gave me that quote. I will check out XPEL in Letchworth as suggested - thanks!

Before you get any PPF done just check to make sure with your insurance, a lot won't cover a vehicle with PPF and I've also seen someone mention they had it done without checking, luckily when they thought to check they did cover it but the premium went up by over 500%!

• Helpful
Reactions: TheFuturist
XPEL Clear Bra Installers | United Kingdom

Don't confuse an Approved Installer with a 'Trained' Installer.

We originally used a 'trained' installer and had to have most of the job redone, at our cost, by an Approved Installer. If we had used an approved installer in the first place, we wouldn't have had the issues that we had and Xpel may have done more to sort out any that may have arisen.

I debated a partial PPF and have currently reached the same conclusion as Arran using the same rationale but also the experience of a friend.

He had his Volvo XC60 PPF’d recently and had to take it back when it started to peel in an awkward place. They tried to repair using heat etc. but it peeled again a few days later and they’ll need to replace a large section.

Is this unusual? Constantly checking my car to see if the PPF has peeled would be worse than looking out for chips in the paint. Finding it needed re-doing after the warranty had run out would be very annoying.

• Helpful
Ceramic coating won’t prevent stone chips, or even make them any less likely to show up, it just makes the car that bit easier to clean, and looks better (like year round polish) when you do. Despite its name it is really not that thick that you picture it being a tangibly significant barrier on top of the paint.

I toiled with the idea of full PPF and got similar quotes to you. In the end I went for an “almost full PPF” where it partially covers the bottom half on the doors, so covers the important areas where stonechips are likely to occur.

This was the first car I’d considered having it done on too, I never really dwelled on it before then. A lot of that was hearing bad stories about Tesla paint quality, like you.

Recently I picked up a scuff when the car was in at Tesla which is about 1cm higher than where the PPF ends, so go figure. That about explains my luck with cars.

It’s a lot of money to spend and you could argue that respraying panels down the line would be more cost effective.

I don’t think there’s an objectively right answer, sadly.

Last edited:
I did a ceramic coat,. Then did 3m PPF on the bumper whole hood, front quarters, rocker panels and mirrors.
Spent $1,500 on the ppf, and about 700 on the ceramic. Both totally worth it, after two years, i wash with a special sponge and rinseless process and car still looks awesome.

Damn I’m smart.

But not so fast. I would go with XPEL for PPF, not 3M. If I could do it again, I’d do XPEL.

I did a ceramic coat,. Then did 3m PPF on the bumper whole hood, front quarters, rocker panels and mirrors.
Spent $1,500 on the ppf, and about 700 on the ceramic. Both totally worth it, after two years, i wash with a special sponge and rinseless process and car still looks awesome.

Damn I’m smart.

But not so fast. I would go with XPEL for PPF, not 3M. If I could do it again, I’d do XPEL.

You should do ppf then ceramic coat. Not supposed to wrap over ceramic coating. And you can ceramic coat yourself for about $75. I don't recommend XPEL because the adhesive used is extremely strong. It's great for the installer, but less great for you down the road when it needs to be replaced. ppf is not lifetime:

What it's like to remove when its overdue: Clear Film Removal | Ask a Pro Blog

I typically don't own a car longer than 6 years, so I've never had to deal with the ppf removal process, just something to consider if you keep a car longer term. Especially if you have had paint work, as the adhesive can be stronger than the paint bond to the vehicle.

And for op, you should get front facing ppf, not full ppf.

The odds of rocks hitting the sides or rear of your car isn't high enough to justify wrapping there.

The front bumper has no grill, it will show rock chips, so cover it.

You should do ppf then ceramic coat. Not supposed to wrap over ceramic coating. And you can ceramic coat yourself for about $75. I don't recommend XPEL because the adhesive used is extremely strong. It's great for the installer, but less great for you down the road when it needs to be replaced. ppf is not lifetime:

What it's like to remove when its overdue: Clear Film Removal | Ask a Pro Blog

I typically don't own a car longer than 6 years, so I've never had to deal with the ppf removal process, just something to consider if you keep a car longer term. Especially if you have had paint work, as the adhesive can be stronger than the paint bond to the vehicle.

And for op, you should get front facing ppf, not full ppf.

The odds of rocks hitting the sides or rear of your car isn't high enough to justify wrapping there.

The front bumper has no grill, it will show rock chips, so cover it.
Sorry, I meant I did both at the same time and of course ceramic was applied on top of 3M. And do rocker panels, totally worth it.

Thanks, I need to check what it will do to my insurance premium costs (to get PPF installed)

I am aware that ceramic coating is very thin (1 micron) but at the very least it keeps the car looking good and makes it much easier to clean.

I don't recommend XPEL because the adhesive used is extremely strong. It's great for the installer, but less great for you down the road when it needs to be replaced. ppf is not lifetime:

We had to have some full length sill (rocker) areas Xpel PPF removed about 2 months after the original fit. I was there when it was removed very quickly, easily and cleanly by an Xpel approved installer.

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
We had to have some full length sill (rocker) areas Xpel PPF removed about 2 months after the original fit. I was there when it was removed very quickly, easily and cleanly by an Xpel approved installer.

yeah, I've removed ppf from a 5 year old car, came off cleanly too. The website I linked clearly stated the issues were when the ppf was overdue for replacement.